Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

18 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Hopefully he throws you in a river to sober you up. 

I better empty that savings account I opened for him before he does it then.

6 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Cold water shock can occur in water up to 20 degrees C

My wife is Peruvian and gives me a hard time for drinking iced drinks on hot days, claiming people in her neighbourhood died that way. I've always dismissed this as either bullshit or something in Peruvians' genes that makes them vulnerable to such shocks.

4 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Apparently I had the most liked content on this site on friday. I think the fact I only really posted to say I caught my son pishing out the window says it all about this site!!

200.gif

Edited by Duszek
edit

Don't the Scandis have a tradition of spending time in the sauna, then leaping straight into freezing water? Think the Romans did something similar at the bath houses. Vaguely remember they think it's good for your health.

Assuming you survive, of course.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Don't the Scandis have a tradition of spending time in the sauna, then leaping straight into freezing water? Think the Romans did something similar at the bath houses. Vaguely remember they think it's good for your health.

I've done that, and jumping straight from the sauna into snow and rolling about. You get tingly all over, it's delightful, then straight back into the sauna for more vodka. It was Lukashenko's recommendation for fighting Covid in Belarus, whether it worked or not is disputed. 

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Apparently I had the most liked content on this site on friday. I think the fact I only really posted to say I caught my son pishing out the window says it all about this site!!

1 hour ago, Duszek said:

200.gif

Liquid gold, surely?

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've done that, and jumping straight from the sauna into snow and rolling about. You get tingly all over, it's delightful, then straight back into the sauna for more vodka. It was Lukashenko's recommendation for fighting Covid in Belarus, whether it worked or not is disputed. 

Suddenly it all makes sense.

Just bought the wean one of these as a joke, as he had one years ago and thought it was hi-larious. Farting - heh. Noticed on the back that something appeared to have been covered with a sticker...what could it be?

20210726_195833.thumb.jpg.f368f6b3d73830d47e19869c2aa537cb.jpg

Spoiler

I wonder how far they got into the import process for this kid's toy before someone noticed the cultural faux-pas  :lol:

20210726_200000.thumb.jpg.f105c30b0016e8953559a4bd5b14a524.jpg

22 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

https://www.latimes.com/politics/0000017a-c69a-da5f-affa-dfbbb1050001-123

Fairly interesting bit on electric cars. 

Anyone got a electric car? 

The lifetime emissions of an electric vehicle are one-third of those of a internal combustion engine car - before you put any electricity in it. The emissions from the electricity vary massively depending on where you live. In the UK that would take you r lifetime car emissions to about half an ICE; in a coal-heavy country you could actually produce more emissions from using an EV.

Emissions from electricity generation in the UK have plummeted though - down by about two-thirds in 7 years - and will likely continue to do so. But even if the electricity was zero emissions, the emissions from making and disposing of EVs are so high that they're not a general solution. They'll be great for people who live with no realistic access to public transport, like in rural areas, but in cites we need to bin private cars altogether.

15 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Worth bearing in mind as well these deaths are still very rare. Millions of folk went swimming this week so the numbers of deaths compared that is miniscule. I think most of the deaths were in rivers and in the sea where currents and tides cause issues. Even with cold water shock lakes and reservoirs are generally safe.

I'm not sure all that many people in the UK went swimming in lakes and rivers tbh. There are hotspots for these drownings and some signage explaining the dangers could be very useful in those places.

11 hours ago, BFTD said:

Yep, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Post 1000! Not exactly a prolific poster during my 12 years on p&b 

Anyway, I was out drinking with a mate from the USA on Friday, we got to one of my favourite bars ( in de Wilderman ) a young Scottish lad said we could have his table as he was leaving, he heard my accent and we chatted briefly he explained he was working here for a few weeks then asked for my number, normally I'd say no but he kind of reminded me of myself when I'd just arrived here 20 years ago, totally forgot about it until last night when he got in touch..." Hiya mate could you arrange for 4 grams of gear to be sent to my hotel?" Had to politely explain that I'd been out of the game for 15 years and that I couldn't provide that service, he thanked me for my prompt response.

as was predicted yestarday, the media has went full helen lovejoy over these drowning deaths,  radio scotland last night was rammed  full of guests and messages about how the authorities should do more to prevent drowning in unsupervised  natural open water, often in rural sparsely populated areas when the weather is only good enough to encourage inexperienced people to take a dip for 14 days a year if you're lucky. yep the government should do more 

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

I'm not sure all that many people in the UK went swimming in lakes and rivers tbh. There are hotspots for these drownings and some signage explaining the dangers could be very useful in those places.

Wild swimming has grown by 94% in the last year, for obvious reasons. Signage helps nothing in these places IMO, far too easily ignored especially by groups of younger folk. Education is what's needed, just look at the info on cold shock being shared this weekend, that sort of stuff needs to be proactive rather than reactive. 

Compulsory swimming lessons in primary school, that's what we need. Reinstate all our old swimming pools that were just concrete and rock on the shore to give kids experience of cold water. Inland types can probably use lakes or rivers. Kids nowadays are too soft.

57 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

as was predicted yestarday, the media has went full helen lovejoy over these drowning deaths,  radio scotland last night was rammed  full of guests and messages about how the authorities should do more to prevent drowning in unsupervised  natural open water, often in rural sparsely populated areas when the weather is only good enough to encourage inexperienced people to take a dip for 14 days a year if you're lucky. yep the government should do more 

Best one yesterday was John Beattie claiming a picture on Visit Scotland website of folk going into some water without a wetsuit on was to blame. 

https://www.visitscotland.com/blog/active-sport/wild-swimming-locations/

59 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I saw the father/husband of the family members who had died getting interviewed and he said they were paddling in and the water looked totally safe then they just disappeared as it got deceptively deep. The family apparently called for it to be more clearly signposted which is reasonable but there are several signs around the lochs saying there is genuine chance of dying if you go in the water. I take it the messages you were talking about merely suggested the authorises did “more” rather than give any practical suggestions on things they can actually do to prevent deaths on top of what they already do? You highlighted the problem perfectly on your last post about the mindset of people when it comes to the outdoors and I really don’t know what practical steps can be taken by the authorities to tackle the issues you mentioned.  

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Wild swimming has grown by 94% in the last year, for obvious reasons. Signage helps nothing in these places IMO, far too easily ignored especially by groups of younger folk. Education is what's needed, just look at the info on cold shock being shared this weekend, that sort of stuff needs to be proactive rather than reactive. 

The family that drowned at Ardlui weren't young, silly people. They just didn't know there was a huge and sudden drop-off.

Signs about cold shock are specifically what I'm talking about. In the right places they will be read.