Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

18 minutes ago, throbber said:

I know that but what specifically goes wrong? I am hearing it’s either getting into a cold spot and their bodies going into spasm or them getting a shock and breathing in too much water and also people saying there are undercurrents. It’s clearly a huge issue across the U.K. as it’s about 25 people dead this weekend.

Jet skis, paddle boards, kayaks leading to people no watersports training in waters they don't understand. I've no idea if any the deaths involved these mearly hypothesising.

Tragic whatever the circumstances.

I know that but what specifically goes wrong? I am hearing it’s either getting into a cold spot and their bodies going into spasm or them getting a shock and breathing in too much water and also people saying there are undercurrents. It’s clearly a huge issue across the U.K. as it’s about 25 people dead this weekend.
I suppose it could be anyone of those things you mention in a minority of the cases. The majority, however, will be people who are just not very good at swimming. Wild swimming and swimming in a heated pool are two very different things. Throw alcohol into the mix which increases risk taking and you've got a recipe for disaster

1 hour ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Ever been stuck behind one of these on the M9?

No, because the M9 has a facility to pass them.

Been stuck behind/going toe to toe with so many of them in Torridon/Wester Ross over the years. I assume as that one appears to have actually pulled into a passing place, that'll be them for the night!

4 minutes ago, Shipa said:

No, because the M9 has a facility to pass them.

Been stuck behind/going toe to toe with so many of them in Torridon/Wester Ross over the years. I assume as that one appears to have actually pulled into a passing place, that'll be them for the night!

image.jpeg.3a8e7961e0c990fb1e984fba86f8a673.jpeg

Does this help?

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

https://www.latimes.com/politics/0000017a-c69a-da5f-affa-dfbbb1050001-123

Fairly interesting bit on electric cars. 

Anyone got a electric car? 

Ah - one of those sites that tells you to disable your ad-blocker. No thanks.

14 hours ago, RH33 said:

Jet skis, paddle boards, kayaks leading to people no watersports training in waters they don't understand. I've no idea if any the deaths involved these mearly hypothesising.

Tragic whatever the circumstances.

14 hours ago, MuckleMoo said:
14 hours ago, throbber said:

I suppose it could be anyone of those things you mention in a minority of the cases. The majority, however, will be people who are just not very good at swimming. Wild swimming and swimming in a heated pool are two very different things. Throw alcohol into the mix which increases risk taking and you've got a recipe for disaster

In Scotland over the weekend it was 6 deaths, 4 of them children and then the 2 adults who died were the mother of a nine year old boy and a family friend who got into trouble together. It’s incredibly tragic but also very frightening how deadly the waters are and how ignorant some people appear to be when throwing themselves in. It’s also very difficult to get the message over to kids who probably won’t listen anyway and who may sneak off without their parents knowing where they are so it’s not always the parents fault. I also don’t know what else the police are supposed to do, people will flock to water in the very few days of the year it’s hot enough to do so and act stupidly making these tragedies almost inevitable.

I noticed there's a petition to make Scottish waters safer now doing the rounds. I haven't opened it but I'm not really sure how they plan to make a natural thing safer. People need to take responsibility and know about the body of water they're going into. It's one thing paddling at edge of shoreline. Very different wild swimming and tombstoning.

And as you say, teenagers are going to teenage.

18 hours ago, throbber said:

Why are so many people dying in the water during the hot weather? 3 dead from one family last night and a16 year old also all drowned in Loch Lomond this weekend alone and several other deaths around the U.K., are people getting sucked under water or is it the deceivingly cold temperatures forcing them to cramp up?

Cold water shock can occur in water up to 20 degrees C , obviously it's more or less likely and severe with a difference in temperature , but pretty much all scottish waters ( sea & fresh ) will stay below 20 all year round,   cold water shock cause people, including experienced wild swimmers , to gasp for breath for around 30 secs to a minute (way less time than it takes for hypothermia to set in)  and is best mitigated by wadding in gentle then staying in standable depth untill breathing returns to normal,  

Most people who drown from this in the middle of summer do so by jumping of of things without first checking the temperature,  gasp and flap around in a panic and drown before anyone can help them, it's quite possible that second or third victims have ended up jumping in to try and help the first (usually a child) before having the same problem themselves

18 hours ago, throbber said:

Why are so many people dying in the water during the hot weather? 3 dead from one family last night and a16 year old also all drowned in Loch Lomond this weekend alone and several other deaths around the U.K., are people getting sucked under water or is it the deceivingly cold temperatures forcing them to cramp up?

16 hours ago, throbber said:

Used to occasionally drink with a guy who was a volunteer in the Loch Lomond rescue - apparently only the top 6-9 inches of the loch ever changes temperature, no matter the weather, so the bit that the bulk of your body is in is pretty cold, no matter the air temperature.  I presume the rest of the lochs in Scotland are the same.

And despite looking calm on the surface, there can be some pretty fierce currents too.  So yeah, if you're 'wild swimming', stay within water you can stand up in, if need be.

Lilos and inflatable boats cause a lot of problems. Weans paddle out on one and the current/wind takes them out and they get tired and can't paddle back. They start to panic and their maw/daw tries to swim out and drowns. I do like wild swimming and spent four days in the last week doing it but I never venture too far out. Got cramp once, and I wasn't that far out from where I could comfortably stand with my head above water, and absolutely shat it. Was able to splash and splutter back to shallower waters but gives me the fear if I look back and see I've went a decent distance from the shore in case it happens again. 

42 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Cold water shock can occur in water up to 20 degrees C , obviously it's more or less likely and severe with a difference in temperature , but pretty much all scottish waters ( sea & fresh ) will stay below 20 all year round,   cold water shock cause people, including experienced wild swimmers , to gasp for breath for around 30 secs to a minute (way less time than it takes for hypothermia to set in)  and is best mitigated by wadding in gentle then staying in standable depth untill breathing returns to normal,  

Most people who drown from this in the middle of summer do so by jumping of of things without first checking the temperature,  gasp and flap around in a panic and drown before anyone can help them, it's quite possible that second or third victims have ended up jumping in to try and help the first (usually a child) before having the same problem themselves

Oh Christ. It’s  such a grim way to go.

There was a guy died at Thriepmuir reservoir a couple of weeks ago, he and hismates had a dingy and he jumped or fell in.  I think a lot of people underestimate how cold open water is, as noted above.  

There was a fly on the wall series about coastguards a few years ago and they had to rescue a YouTuber who jumped into the Thames for a prank, I can't remember if he died or nearly died but he hit the water and completely froze, unable to move.