Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Interesting to see an octopus in the Forth. There's all kind of creatures in the sea you wouldn't know were there unless you were a diver 
When he was a kid my mate found a Cuttlefish in the rock pools at North Berwick. His dad was a zoologist so they kept it in a tank for a while.

A lot of activity with dolphins, sei whales and minke whales in there the past few weeks. Apparently there were 2 orcas identified coming into there and then heading back out to the north sea.
ETA: Forth marine mammals on Facebook if you are on there and you like that sort of thing.

My gran has been in FV hospital since last Thursday with abdominal pains and vomiting. Fast forward 6 days and has still had nothing done. A scan has been planned for each of the last 3 days but has not happened.

On Monday it was because they could not communicate with her (she is deaf). A doubled vaxxed family member could easily do this. Tuesday was because somebody forgot to pass her paperwork over to the ward she got moved too (an excuse that wouldn't wash in a dead end admin job never mind a medical.profession) and today was because they didn't have all her medical history from the GP (after 5 full days in the hospital) and they didn't have another doctor available in the hospital able to sign her off to get the scan. 

I appreciate the nurses working their arses off everyday throughout covid but this has been astonishing levels of incompetence and its stems from the shambolic middle management and self important clipboard warriors across the NHS.

The other thing that really has angered me is the fact that due to covid only 1 person can see her and no other visitors - no matter what day.  Along with being deaf she has dementia and 90 years old and will be terrified of whats happening (or lack of).  She has had to fast prior to scans that have never happened and since nobody can communicate with her she will wonder why nobody is giving her food.

Absolutely harrowing that this is the level of care that is deemed acceptable for vulnerable people.

Sorry, just had to vent that out. Fucking fuming and upset that a lot of these issues can be avoided with common sense but in a hospital there is too much red tape preventing sense from ever prevailing.

9 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

My gran has been in FV hospital since last Thursday with abdominal pains and vomiting. Fast forward 6 days and has still had nothing done. A scan has been planned for each of the last 3 days but has not happened.

On Monday it was because they could not communicate with her (she is deaf). A doubled vaxxed family member could easily do this. Tuesday was because somebody forgot to pass her paperwork over to the ward she got moved too (an excuse that wouldn't wash in a dead end admin job never mind a medical.profession) and today was because they didn't have all her medical history from the GP (after 5 full days in the hospital) and they didn't have another doctor available in the hospital able to sign her off to get the scan. 

I appreciate the nurses working their arses off everyday throughout covid but this has been astonishing levels of incompetence and its stems from the shambolic middle management and self important clipboard warriors across the NHS.

The other thing that really has angered me is the fact that due to covid only 1 person can see her and no other visitors - no matter what day.  Along with being deaf she has dementia and 90 years old and will be terrified of whats happening (or lack of).  She has had to fast prior to scans that have never happened and since nobody can communicate with her she will wonder why nobody is giving her food.

Absolutely harrowing that this is the level of care that is deemed acceptable for vulnerable people.

Sorry, just had to vent that out. Fucking fuming and upset that a lot of these issues can be avoided with common sense but in a hospital there is too much red tape preventing sense from ever prevailing.

Sadly that echoes what we went thru about 3 years back when one of the mini-ranters was diagnosed with a detached retina. His tests and potential treatment was spread between the eye clinic at the old Falkirk hospital, Gartnavel,  the Glasgow Sick Kids, and Great Ormond St. 

We dealt with brilliant medical people at every hospital, but after a couple of appointments it was blindingly obvious (pardon the pun) that there was very little system in place to let each hospital know what was happening in the other hospitals. The burden ended up on us to take copious notes at every appointment,  which we then used to fully update the clinician at the next appointment. And repeat ad nauseum.

And all this was without the complication of Covid.

I hope your gran is OK.

19 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Sadly that echoes what we went thru about 3 years back when one of the mini-ranters was diagnosed with a detached retina. His tests and potential treatment was spread between the eye clinic at the old Falkirk hospital, Gartnavel,  the Glasgow Sick Kids, and Great Ormond St. 

We dealt with brilliant medical people at every hospital, but after a couple of appointments it was blindingly obvious (pardon the pun) that there was very little system in place to let each hospital know what was happening in the other hospitals. The burden ended up on us to take copious notes at every appointment,  which we then used to fully update the clinician at the next appointment. And repeat ad nauseum.

And all this was without the complication of Covid.

I hope your gran is OK.

Cheers, its just incredible that in 21st century, patient information is not available on a shared system across the NHS. I thought that would be a fairly basic and fundamental IT requirement. 

10 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

Along with being deaf she has dementia and 90 years old and will be terrified of whats happening (or lack of). 

My Dad had a couple of stays in hospital in the same condition as your Gran, and while the staff were brilliant at the end of his life, it seemed at earlier stays that they had no experience of dealing with someone in his state, just the basics like realising he wouldn't be able to find the toilet on his own in a strange building. He had a horrible time.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

My Dad had a couple of stays in hospital in the same condition as your Gran, and while the staff were brilliant at the end of his life, it seemed at earlier stays that they had no experience of dealing with someone in his state, just the basics like realising he wouldn't be able to find the toilet on his own in a strange building. He had a horrible time.

Yep, I just find it heartbreaking that in a care setting people with fairly common disabilities such as deafness, blindness, etc have their level of care impaired.

I understand the implications of covid and the need to minimise the number of people in hospitals for visits but if a family member was just allowed in to help assist with interpreting, the NHS would have 1 extra bed available.

10 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I just want you all to know that last night at a game of 5s, I scored a goal (in the right end) that was described as Bergkampesque and 6 people applauded (not sarcastically either) after it went in.

bergkamp.jpg.796b7887ff523a6b355bf4bb220b0d08.jpg

I smell shite....