Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

11 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Jim white has just left sky sports news. He's just announced it's his last night, with a wee compilation.

He's an annoying p***k but that was actually quite nice.

Any idea if he's an arsehole in real life? Or a good guy?

He had a few bad episodes with drink some years ago but has been tea-total for about 10 years apparently, so seams to have turned things around.

Don't get divorced in Canada. 

My brother-in-law's witch of a wife recently told him she was leaving after he found out that she'd been shagging some guy every time she went to 'band practice' (long enough to suddenly announce that they're now moving in together and getting married once the divorce goes through).  However, thanks to the wonder of Canadian 'spousal support', he now has to continue paying her a whack of money every month for numerous years (probably a decade), even though he wasn't responsible for the divorce (makes no difference under Canadian law). 

So she now gets full custody of the kids, gets two wages coming into her new household,  plus at least a grand pocket money each month from her ex plus the additional child support payments.  All this whilst my BIL picks up the pieces of the mess which she caused.

Apparently there are folk out there who have been divorced multiple times and live very comfortable lives funded by multiple spousal support packages coming in at once. Batshit mental system.

Edited by Hedgecutter

11 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Jim white has just left sky sports news. He's just announced it's his last night, with a wee compilation.

He's an annoying p***k but that was actually quite nice.

Any idea if he's an arsehole in real life? Or a good guy?

Met him a couple of times and he was brand new. He was still on the drink at the time and was pished both times but wasn’t up himself or that. It was a good few years ago though, before he became deadline day Jim. 

53 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

My brother-in-law's witch of a wife recently told him she was leaving after he found out that she'd been shagging some guy every time she went to 'band practice' (long enough to suddenly announce that they're now moving in together and getting married once the divorce goes through).  However, thanks to the wonder of Canadian 'spousal support', he now has to continue paying her a whack of money every month for numerous years (probably a decade), even though he wasn't responsible for the divorce (makes no difference under Canadian law). 

So she now gets full custody of the kids, gets two wages coming into her new household,  plus at least a grand pocket money each month from her ex plus the additional child support payments.  All this whilst my BIL picks up the pieces of the mess which she caused.

Apparently there are folk out there who have been divorced multiple times and live very comfortable lives funded by multiple spousal support packages coming in at once. Batshit mental system.

That is mental. I know in the States once your ex remarries you stop paying alimony but to have to keep paying once they’ve remarried is even more mental. 

Just now, Rugster said:

That is mental. I know in the States once your ex remarries you stop paying alimony but to have to keep paying once they’ve remarried is even more mental. 

It's not so much that, which is bad enough, but that the innocent party ends up being penalised.  I suppose if kids are involved the priority is to ensure they are taken care of but it's still a mental set-up.  

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's not so much that, which is bad enough, but that the innocent party ends up being penalised.  I suppose if kids are involved the priority is to ensure they are taken care of but it's still a mental set-up.  

Absolutely 

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Your sister?

Why has this triggered so many people? I get that poetry and the BBC "the social" content might not be everyone's cup of tea but there are some outrageous responses to it, any one know why?

Apparently there are folk out there who have been divorced multiple times and live very comfortable lives funded by multiple spousal support packages coming in at once.

My reading of that is getting divorced in Canada is a great idea.

50 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Supposedly the whole idea behind it is that nobody should see their standard of living drop as a result of the divorce, even if you're a lying deceitful scheming little whoor.  

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Supposedly the whole idea behind it is that nobody should see their standard of living drop as a result of the divorce, even if you're a lying deceitful scheming little whoor.  

I agree with SlipperyP's question

52 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Your sister?

My grandfather married his cousin's wife after the cousin died.  I'm still unsure how socially acceptable that is (widow and widower and not blood relatives).

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

My grandfather married his cousin's wife after the cousin died.  I'm still unsure how socially acceptable that is (widow and widower and not blood relatives).

OK, still not sure what that has to do with your sisters, husband (your brother-in-law).  

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

Your sister?

5 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

OK, still not sure what that has to do with your sisters, husband (your brother-in-law).  

Ahhhh, I see now.   For avoidance of doubt, I'm referring to the wife of my other half's brother.  To the best of my knowledge, none of these people involved are my sister.

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

To use some modern parlance, folk saying how awful their ex is can be a “red flag” about their behaviour and attitude towards the partner. Maybe it is as simple as you’ve described but we don’t know what goes on behind closed doors.