Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Was disturbed yesterday afternoon by some voices coming from my front garden.  Went out to see what was happening, and it turns out a swarm of bees had deserted their normal sanctuary nearby and decided to make camp in my hedge.  The voices were local volunteer beekeepers who had followed them to try and get them back to their resident hives. A mix of worry and fascination for me, but the guys were there for the best part of 5 hours till they managed to get the queen and the vast majority into their boxes and took them home to the hives. (Only allowing me to upload 1 picture.)

P1040224.thumb.JPG.3fc8969fbce75af06d5761f775ce052a.JPG

How much sugar are you storing in your hedge?

pkgumxXJhIfcVJAwXFHRBZEKymwZxqjOcqSeh9cDN2M.jpg

19 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I’d have had the house on the fucking market before they’d got them away. f**k that. 

I also would not have been anywhere near close enough to get a picture.

Just now, hearthammer said:

I was kept well away, but my camera's got a 60x zoom so i was able to get close ups from a safe distance

Your safe distance and my safe distance are clearly very different😂

Have any P&Bers ever befriended a wild animal?

In a previous job that involved being outside much of the time, I managed to gradually gain the trust of a blackbird to the point that it would come up to me and take bits of food from my hand.  Took a couple of summers for this to happen and sometimes, to the awe of others, it would come up and sit right beside me.  He was a top lad, called Fred.  'All' it took was throwing little bits of food most days, gradually getting a centimetre closer each day.

I only just found out that blackbirds have a lifespan of ~20 years, so there's still time to befriend the one in my garden.  He'll frequently come up to the the house and just stare through the window in a very shifty manner for minutes on end.  As such, his name is Shifty, his girlfriend is Shiftette, and we're at the stage where he'll get two metres away from me when I'm in the garden before bottling it.

I also had a shifty magpie in the garden the other day.  It was hammering away at something beside the fence, and when it saw me, it decided to have a bounce around the garden as if to say "nothing of interest over there, look at me over here instead", before going back to fence when it thought I'd gone.  It also stares at the reflection on the garden bulbs for ages when they're shiny in the sun, but no surprise there.

Edited by Hedgecutter

58 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

In a previous job that involved being outside much of the time, I managed to gradually gain the trust of a blackbird to the point that it would come up to me and take bits of food from my hand.  Took a couple of summers for this to happen and sometimes, to the awe of others, it would come up and sit right beside me.  He was a top lad, called Fred.  'All' it took was throwing little bits of food most days, gradually getting a centimetre closer each day.

I only just found out that blackbirds have a lifespan of ~20 years, so there's still time to befriend the one in my garden.  He'll frequently come up to the the house and just stare through the window in a very shifty manner for minutes on end.  As such, his name is Shifty, his girlfriend is Shiftette, and we're at the stage where he'll get two metres away from me when I'm in the garden before bottling it.

I also had a shifty magpie in the garden the other day.  It was hammering away at something beside the fence, and when it saw me, it decided to have a bounce around the garden as if to say "nothing of interest over there, look at me over here instead", before going back to fence when it thought I'd gone.  It also stares at the reflection on the garden bulbs for ages when they're shiny in the sun, but no surprise there.

^^^^ Birdman of Peterhead

Me and my cat have a cordial relationship.

Hes not wild, but he would murder anything that is wild in our garden, so its as good as il get most likely.

2 hours ago, Slenderman said:

Next door neighbour has became a mentalist.

Painting his garage & fence gun-metal grey.

Some years ago we were up Dalt Vila in Ibiza Town and noticed, in the distance, a woman on her roof terrace painting a metal bedstead.

She was completely naked.

I never noticed the colour of the paint.

When I was beer shopping a wee while ago, I seen/heard the wmd of an altercation between a middle aged man in a car and a school aged laddie outside.

Unsure what sparked it off, but the emd of it was said man saying "il punch yer wee face off, you dinny ken who a am".

An adult, to a child.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Some years ago we were up Dalt Vila in Ibiza Town and noticed, in the distance, a woman on her roof terrace painting a metal bedstead.

She was completely naked.

P&B rules...

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

For the first time in my life, I just used the word frivolous* in a sentence.  My former English teachers would be proud.

*this is the second time.

Was the first time "I don't know what frivolous means"?