Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I've always thought that, done properly, The Long Walk would make an absolutely superb film. It would be one that you'd get an extra bonus from on first watching, as well.
I can't help feeling, though, that like The Ruining Man, we might well get something similar in real life before long. There's more and more desperate people every day, after all, and the Lottery doesn't seem to have the same allure any more.

I don't think we're near people being shot for losing in something like The Long Walk, but I could absolutely see a popular reality TV show where people walk themselves into permanent damage to try and win a big cash prize.

I don't think the fascists in the general population would like a Running Man style show, though, as it would involve convicted criminals being released and possibly assaulting Are Good Old Mums. They also wouldn't like the idea of people serving long sentences having the chance to GET OFF SCOT FREE, no matter what they'd had to endure to get it. You'd need a proper totalitarian state before things like that kicked in, or a society where the richer folk feel protected by private security services (way off from that, I think).

46 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I don't think we're near people being shot for losing in something like The Long Walk, but I could absolutely see a popular reality TV show where people walk themselves into permanent damage to try and win a big cash prize.

I always thought that any marathon race would be brightened up if, at each mile post, the last 10 runners were done over. 

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I always thought that any marathon race would be brightened up if, at each mile post, the last 10 runners were done over. 

Riveting viewing.

Imagine if a sudden bout of skitter cramps hit you with a few hundred yards to go  :shutup

My employer announced a number of redundancies in the last few weeks, along with a number of positions changing and new ones being created.

In the last week someone has created a Twitter account absolutely tearing the situation apart, tweeting our Chief Executive, slating them for not having enough members of the BAME community in executive positions, slamming the creation of new positions for friends of the Executive Team and posting about previously made NDA for employees who have been through the consultation period.

Obviously feel for the people at risk, but been popcorn central this week, waiting on the next tweet and what it will be.

I don't think the fascists in the general population would like a Running Man style show, though, as it would involve convicted criminals being released and possibly assaulting Are Good Old Mums. They also wouldn't like the idea of people serving long sentences having the chance to GET OFF SCOT FREE, no matter what they'd had to endure to get it. You'd need a proper totalitarian state before things like that kicked in, or a society where the richer folk feel protected by private security services (way off from that, I think).
Oh, when we were manning the landings on a quiet weekend*, we came up with some game shows which would make The Running Man look like Crackerjack - mostly using our clientele as raw materials. From the low-budget Man Versus Landmine or live Hangman to the big ticket Manhunt, we had entertainment for the masses for every broadcast slot. I was particularly taken with a colleague's plan for live action Battleships, with the planned title of "Honey, You've Sunk My Sex Offender".
Now I'm non operational, of course,I recognise our residents are complex individuals with varied needs and skills...

* Of course, we never actually said the Q word. The screw's Macbeth..

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Oh, when we were manning the landings on a quiet weekend*, we came up with some game shows which would make The Running Man look like Crackerjack - mostly using our clientele as raw materials. From the low-budget Man Versus Landmine or live Hangman to the big ticket Manhunt, we had entertainment for the masses for every broadcast slot. I was particularly taken with a colleague's plan for live action Battleships, with the planned title of "Honey, You've Sunk My Sex Offender".
Now I'm non operational, of course,I recognise our residents are complex individuals with varied needs and skills...

* Of course, we never actually said the Q word. The screw's Macbeth..

If it went to a vote, I think you'd probably find reasonable support for a Saw-type game show with a cast of paedophiles.

I do like the idea of jailers being afraid to say the word "quiet". The forbidden phrase at my work is, "I've not seen the boss lately", but at least he's not going to descent on us with a shiv.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

If it went to a vote, I think you'd probably find reasonable support for a Saw-type game show with a cast of paedophiles.

I do like the idea of jailers being afraid to say the word "quiet". The forbidden phrase at my work is, "I've not seen the boss lately", but at least he's not going to descent on us with a shiv.

White Bear

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

White Bear

Yeah, that seemed entirely plausible, in a populist society with the correct tech.

The thing I liked about that episode was that they're all torturing the wrong person. She's no idea what she's done, or who she even is.

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/couple-forced-wear-ear-plugs-23905696

I bought a house next a main road. You'll never guess what happened next.

“It’s like living next to a motorway”

A0017092-BC4A-460E-A5C2-A3B6E7AC0CE4.jpeg

Edited by Abby Normal

13 hours ago, BFTD said:

Plenty of candidates for the celebrity version.

15 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/couple-forced-wear-ear-plugs-23905696

I bought a house next a main road. You'll never guess what happened next.

I've just sent them an amazing offer for my "magic beans".

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

One time, at around 1640 on a Sunday (bang-up being 1700 and hometime 1715),a young lad used it in the Cleaners'Office, and I swear the pool table must have already been in the air, flying towards the association room doors. We eventually left the jail at around two the next morning, leaving behind an unholy mess and a bulging segregation unit.