Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

My phone stays in the kitchen overnight, which is close enough that should I ever need to hear the alarm I will. (In nearly 5 years I think it’s gone off once before I got up, the rest of the time I’m up before it’s due and turn it off)
My bedroom is purely for sleep, no reading, no electronics, no clock. (Aye, no shagging either [emoji22])
Even if I had several alerts set on it my phone wouldn’t disturb me because I may only get around 4hours sleep at night but there damn near nothing going to wake me once I’m down!

One of the many things my Dad and I argued about was me not unplugging everything when I was the last up to bed. Which was pretty much every night. He was convinced it was just a matter of time before the house burned to the ground.

Edited by Shotgun

Guest bernardblack
10 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Watching (well listening while mucking about on my phone) to Snackmasters (tv show where celeb chefs try to copy famous branded foods from scratch). Tom Aitkens is on it- he seems like a despicable human being where a boot to the baws is clearly vastly overdue. 

I’m sure he was on Iron Chef years ago, but yeah came across pretty badly 

49 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

I’m sure he was on Iron Chef years ago, but yeah came across pretty badly 

Most of those professional "celebrity" chefs are though. Saturday Kitchen is a meeting of egos every week. Once heard a lassie who works behind the scenes on that programme being interviewed and she more or less implied that they are mostly b°"$£%s who demand the best of pans then use metal utensils on them basically ruining them in one go. Think she said Marcus Waring was the most "challenging". 

41 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Most of those professional "celebrity" chefs are though. Saturday Kitchen is a meeting of egos every week. Once heard a lassie who works behind the scenes on that programme being interviewed and she more or less implied that they are mostly b°"$£%s who demand the best of pans then use metal utensils on them basically ruining them in one go. Think she said Marcus Waring was the most "challenging". 

Most chefs are, it's a shite industry with long hours and bad pay. There was outrage on FB over Nico's not paying overtime etc. 

Always been that way especially for salaried staff. Hospitality industry is a c**t to work in.

6 hours ago, Shotgun said:

One of the many things my Dad and I argued about was me not unplugging everything when I was the last up to bed. Which was pretty much every night. He was convinced it was just a matter of time before the house burned to the ground.

Think it's a generation thing, my dad was also an unplugger at night. He also used to unplug the TV aerial during thunderstorms, in case lightning struck the aerial and blew up our TV.

38 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Think it's a generation thing, my dad was also an unplugger at night. He also used to unplug the TV aerial during thunderstorms, in case lightning struck the aerial and blew up our TV.

^^^Rod Hull's boy.

On 07/04/2021 at 15:03, jimbaxters said:

So you turn off WiFi at night because you're not using it but keep the electric toothbrush on. Eh?

I was told once that you shouldn't charge the phone to 100% so should be done during waking hours and whipped off the charge at 90%ish. This was when I had to get a new battery for an older iphone. Followed the advice for about two days then reverted to type.

On 07/04/2021 at 15:27, bernardblack said:

Aye charging your phone overnight, every night, is a quick way to ruin the battery. 

Is there any actual evidence for this? Or is it from the 'oh aye and you need to give it a good charge to begin with, otherwise it won't provide full battery life' school of thought which, yeah, I'm pretty sure was utter bollocks in 2005 never mind today. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Is there any actual evidence for this? Or is it from the 'oh aye and you need to give it a good charge to begin with, otherwise it won't provide full battery life' school of thought which, yeah, I'm pretty sure was utter bollocks in 2005 never mind today. 

Modern phones are like cars from the 60s, you need run them in when they're new.

Well known fact!

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

There was a school of thought that trickle charging Lithium-ion batteries could shorten the number of recharge cycles of the battery.

Thing is though, modern Apple phones trickle charge from 80%+, so even if it's true it's gonna happen anyway.

Went to Sainsburys seen "Vanilla coconut yoghurt" thought that will be excellent for my granola. 

I don't know whether it is because its 'completely plant based' but suffering shite its absolutely awful. 

16179513380365613466287426240023.thumb.jpg.b0c720b6cca3dbf38b9f93914c87f6e9.jpg

Suckered into the purchase by cartoon boobies. A new low. :(

Edited by Mr. Alli

Somehow managed to get myself into this situation earlier whilst being stripes (this being my last ball on the table, overhanging the pocket just like the black).  Both balls ended wedged tight in the pocket*, only the pressure against each other preventing them from falling in the pocket.

The other player had one ball left with a sitter of a shot, but knew that a) if he potted he would lose because he'd be on the black, and b) if he missed he'd win as then I'd be forced to hit the pictured ball which can't be done without potting the black at the same time.

Screenshot_20210409-075950.thumb.png.9d5ba57415e86edfeaef690ba3c8292e.png

*Insert Kenneth (also, yes, I know it's a manky table, it's not mine)

Edited by Hedgecutter

8 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Somehow managed to get myself into this situation earlier whilst being stripes (this being my last ball on the table, overhanging the pocket just like the black). Hard shot trying to squeeze it past a dodgy black ended wedged tight in the pocket, only the pressure against each other preventing them from falling in the pocket.

The other player had one ball left with a sitter of a shot, but knew that a) if he potted he would lose because he'd be on the black, and b) if he missed he'd win as then I'd be forced to hit the pictured ball.

... and before anybody mentions it, yes it's manky, but it's not my pool table.

Screenshot_20210409-075950.thumb.png.9d5ba57415e86edfeaef690ba3c8292e.png

You’re opponent is a fool for agreeing to play last ball last pocket imo.

On the topic of pool rules, from an open table situation following a break from which no balls were potted, can you legally pot a red by hitting a yellow first and then carry on?  Or by choosing to hit the yellow first, does the resulting potting of the red result in a foul?