Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

9 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

My work has decided that we need to have cameras turned on in zoom for when we log in in the morning and for any meetings because apparantly isolation has been tough on peoples mental health and seeing other faces would cheer them up.

I'm sympathetic to anyone with such issues but I dare say looking at me won't help them with that, I'm sure there are webcam services available if that's what you're in to. 

I was on a meeting today, one of the folk online was using their own equipment including a webcam.

If it wasn't bad enough having her face on line she could have positioned the camera so we didn't have to look up her fucking nose for two hours.

Just now, Zen Archer Esq. said:

I was on a meeting today, one of the folk online was using their own equipment including a webcam.

If it wasn't bad enough having her face on line she could have positioned the camera so we didn't have to look up her fucking nose for two hours.

I'm dreading it, I am a beautiful attractive figure so I'm not worried about me I just don't want to have to look at people, what about when I'm playing the ps5, what about when I'm smoking or drinking, what about when I sleep in and log in in my bed, I'll probably pick my nose or something. 

Do you have to do it all day or just for meetings? It's baffling to me coz I'd imagine more people will be feeling anxious about this than people will be relieved about looking at other folk. 

2 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I'm dreading it, I am a beautiful attractive figure so I'm not worried about me I just don't want to have to look at people, what about when I'm playing the ps5, what about when I'm smoking or drinking, what about when I sleep in and log in in my bed, I'll probably pick my nose or something. 

Do you have to do it all day or just for meetings? It's baffling to me coz I'd imagine more people will be feeling anxious about this than people will be relieved about looking at other folk. 

I wouldn't be using the camera for anything bar meetings, can't think how they could enforce keeping it on all the time.

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I “accidentally” broke my webcam after a week of working from home. 

I've managed to delay til getting sent one out in the post. I don't think it will be enforced much tbf. 

Does anyone have to work on webcam all day? 

2 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I've managed to delay til getting sent one out in the post. I don't think it will be enforced much tbf. 

Get some opaque tape and put it over the camera, if someone complains tell them it must be broken.

My new work seemed pretty stringent about having cameras on for the daily work call but it's my third day today and half of them have them off. Since I keep mine on I'm going to ignore any possible negative reasons for that and just assume they're all feeling extra self-conscious because of how braw and handsome I am. It's the superior Scottish genes. 

20 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

My new work seemed pretty stringent about having cameras on for the daily work call but it's my third day today and half of them have them off. Since I keep mine on I'm going to ignore any possible negative reasons for that and just assume they're all feeling extra self-conscious because of how braw and handsome I am. It's the superior Scottish genes. 

Shite rule isn't it. My place is the same. I ended up deliberately breaking my webcam so I couldn't turn it on.

Kinda something you have to do in the office though, or else it's a bit obvious.

10 hours ago, Stormzy said:

I do...9.5 hours with it on.  Not too bad for me 'cos I don't have to look at the screen so I don't look at them and I forget I'm on camera.   

10 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Get some opaque tape and put it over the camera, if someone complains tell them it must be broken.

Mines has a slide cover that you can, well, slide and it blacks out the screen but the camera is still activated.  Thus, you can genuinely say my camera is on and pretend you have no idea why they cannot see you.  You can even send a screenshot showing your camera icon is activated.  Pure genius whoever though of it.

Alternatively, aye,  a bit of tape over the lens will do the same job!

I attended a Zoom funeral yesterday for the first time, but I was unsure of the camera etiquette for these things, so I was sat there like an eejit wearing a white shirt and black tie just in case other folk had their cameras on. Thankfully just about everybody else had their camera off, so I was all dressed up for nothing.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

The team I work in have a daily call where we just shoot the breeze and have a laugh with our cameras on. We also use it to talk about work if required and if we have work to do we don’t join. It’s really helped keep our team together during the pandemic.

Having to have cameras on all the time sounds like it could be straying in illegal territory. Would be having very serious words with unions, HR and employment lawyers if I was told to do this.

As it is, I never have my camera on and there's no requirement for it thankfully.

28 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I attended a Zoom funeral yesterday for the first time, but I was unsure of the camera etiquette for these things, so I was sat there like an eejit wearing a white shirt and black tie just in case other folk had their cameras on. Thankfully just about everybody else had their camera off, so I was all dressed up for nothing.

I was watching my grandfather's via a live YouTube feed on Tuesday (i.e. a very one-way setup) and my other half asked me (in all seriousness) "are you wearing your suit and tie for it?"

Felt a bit guilty being casual strangely enough, but then again, I would have felt like an utter eejit sat in front of my computer at home with a black tie, suit and freshly ironed shirt.  Really need to get a Castrol GTX jacket though.

15 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I was watching my grandfather's via a live YouTube feed on Tuesday (i.e. a very one-way setup) and my other half asked me (in all seriousness) "are you wearing your suit and tie for it?"

Felt a bit guilty being casual strangely enough, but then again, I would have felt like an utter eejit sat in front of my computer at home with a black tie, suit and freshly ironed shirt.  Really need to get a Castrol GTX jacket though.

Watched a live stream of one a couple of weeks ago (former neighbour, not a relative). Very surreal experience.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Bizarre behaviour. I worked with a boy who punched a plate-glass door and punctured an artery. He had metal rods screwed into his arm to stop him from moving it, and was off work without pay for weeks. He showed up for work (which involved a lot of physical labour) and wasn't happy about being sent home, so he punched a door with the other arm.

It doesn't seem very fair to include punch bags on that list. I think they're made for punching, although I could be wrong on that.