Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

16 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

reminds me of  a video ive seen - its about the development of Command and Conquer, a game from the mid nineties.

One of the developers giving the talk goes into depth about the huge turnover time the team had for producing game content, the fact they had 100+ machines all compiling code (and in fact started leaving them on overnight out of hours to speed up development), the way they had to have a special cooling room to keep the temperature down etc. etc.

Another studio recently did a remaster of the game and he was talking with this about one of the developers who informed him that when they got the source code for the entire game to do the remaster - which took a huge amount of time and money to get done in the nineties - it compiled on one machine in about 4 seconds. 😂

I mind my Amiga 500 + having a 1mb hard drive

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

I mind my Amiga 500 + having a 1mb hard drive

You were lucky!

09E21738-1D19-4539-BC64-B9E0ECF3621E.png.cfbc62dfdeff4eddecec5a9956cebcd0.png

I still remember the mixture of delight and abhorrence I felt when I pointed at the ZX81 computer in the National Museum of Scotland and informed my children, “That’s the first computer I owned”.

1Kb of RAM, with a 16Kb expansion block that would crash the computer if it wobbled. 

27 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

You were lucky!

09E21738-1D19-4539-BC64-B9E0ECF3621E.png.cfbc62dfdeff4eddecec5a9956cebcd0.png

I still remember the mixture of delight and abhorrence I felt when I pointed at the ZX81 computer in the National Museum of Scotland and informed my children, “That’s the first computer I owned”.

1Kb of RAM, with a 16Kb expansion block that would crash the computer if it wobbled. 

I bought one of those only a few months before the Spectrum came out. That had 16K and 48K versions and I eventually bought one..

I remember one of the Speccy magazines printed an article stating that the interior of both versions was the same, but the 16K had part of its memory disabled. However this RAM could be unlocked by typing in a fairly lengthy machine code program. I already had a 48K but was bored and curious to see what the program would actually do (I didn't believe the disabled memory thing) so typed it in, and the screen displayed 'APRIL FOOL!'

49 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I bought one of those only a few months before the Spectrum came out. That had 16K and 48K versions and I eventually bought one..

I remember one of the Speccy magazines printed an article stating that the interior of both versions was the same, but the 16K had part of its memory disabled. However this RAM could be unlocked by typing in a fairly lengthy machine code program. I already had a 48K but was bored and curious to see what the program would actually do (I didn't believe the disabled memory thing) so typed it in, and the screen displayed 'APRIL FOOL!'

I'm amazed you got any magazine program code to work.

ETA -- I had a 16k Spectrum and eventually got a 32k expansion pack that was a little bit more stable than the ZX81 version. I was explaining this to my co-workers the other day, who have never heard of a ZX Spectrum, and I mentioned that the expansion pack that contained 32k was around the size of a cassette while I currently have a Micro SSD card in my camera that's 64GB and the size of my thumbnail. This sparked a bit of a race to calculate how big the Speccy expansion pack would've been had it housed 64GB of extra memory. Turns out it would've been just over three acres. Can't imagine how unstable that would've been plugged into the back of a 16k Spectrum.

Edited by MSU

38 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

my son singing silent night. he'd love to see a few views or likes if you all don't mind.  It would make his Christmas. 

Excellent version. Fired him off a green dot.

Thank you.