Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

3 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Three people I work with have recently moved house and have opted for new builds (or relative new builds). There seems to be a real feeling that buying a new build is some sort of status symbol. A sign of luxury. However, these three locations are in Dumbarton, Clydebank and Airdrie.

Being as respectful as I can, I have suggested that buying an older house in a more affluent area of Glasgow/surrounds would be my choice. 

I was recently noting that there have been people who have been paying upwards of 250k to buy new builds in Kelty.  

Unless they chose their house by roulette wheel or won it in a raffle, I have absolutely no idea why these people who evidently have/had a decent amount of cash would chose to raise a family there.  I know that not everybody who lives in Kelty is a complete and utter jakeball, but this just strikes me as absolute madness.

22 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Mortgaged out their eyeballs on a new build and a leased bmw in the drive. It’s the younger generations way of wanting people to think they’re middle class.

I know the sort of person you mean, but they're generally not those sort of people. The areas I've suggested instead almost certainly have more expensive houses.

It's like for them, the prospect of owning a new build trumps all else. Schools, services, general pleasantness, etc. To me, that just seems mental.

Mortgaged out their eyeballs on a new build and a leased bmw in the drive. It’s the younger generations way of wanting people to think they’re middle class.
I know a lot of folk who live in newer, more expensive houses than I do, who have two brand spanking cars in the drive and every gadget and toy going. I generally have an idea of what folks income would be, especially the ones in the same game as me and I know that I have done ok out of the great O&G racket over the years. So it really does blow my mind to see, when I compare it to my two cheap shitty cars etc.

I can concede that I have always avoided tick and not everyone is as uncomfortable with it as I am, but f**k me some folk must be right up to their eyes in it just to have, like you say, the fancy brands etc. Mental.

I live in an ex council house in a working class area and I’m sure my colleagues think I’m ridiculous for not living in an identikit new build estate with two cars. But I don’t really care. our neighbours have been generally good and our house is nice. We have a big garden for our boy to play in and plenty of storage room. We are moving because we want to be a bit closer to my wife’s work and his nursery and school.

Lots of people in Scotland have very snobbish attitudes about things like class, not many people talk about it but I’ve found lots of my colleagues in work have had big issues with working class places and people. I used to go running on routes through Wester Hailes and the Calders and they would react as though I was certain to be mugged or beaten up, when in fact I never even got looked at sideways.p by anyone. A lot of people like the idea of new build housing estates as being oasis’ away from imagined crime and problems but it’s mainly a fantasy. We have friends who just moved to a new build estate (their house is lovely ) but told us they wanted to send their kid to a private school because they were worried about knife crime in Edinburgh schools 🤷‍♂️ I have colleagues who send their kids to private schools because they don’t want them mixing with the “wrong crowd” which is bizarre to me, as though normal schools are bear pits where you have to fight to the death each day.

There many things to take into account when buying a house, but I’d take a new build over an old house with ‘character’ any day of the week.  Many new builds are relatively poor quality, have quite small rooms and little storage space but it’s possible to find ones where none of that applies.

23 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

One of them developed a great big crack in a wall as the house 'settled' that they were having no luck chasing up with the Persimmon 'snagging' team. I've heard of others getting a row for planting a tree in their own land in England because of the weird leasehold stuff..

Persimmon are basically the Carlsberg of the house building world though. 

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I mean new builds in general conform to this so persimmon must be for the most beige people even within a self selecting group of beige people. Anyway I dunno if it really was persimmon it's just the first name of one of these white box builders I could think of.

But look around the Edinburgh area, there aren’t a huge host of older houses with massive bedrooms available for people with a finite amount of money at their disposal. Don’t go blaming new builds for popping up. 

53 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I'd feel like a fanny as well if I lived on a street called like 'pinefield grove' or 'sycamore glade' like they all are despite usually being built on barren, windswept land, or the only forest that's ever been there got bulldozed to build the estate.

Pretty sure I put this in PTTGOYN a while back, although I recently noticed a newbuild estate on the outskirts Inverurie called 'Osprey Heights', which I would like to think is a Still Game-related joke.

There must be dozens of meaningful names they can come up with (referencing the name of the farm which has suddenly disappeared as a mere suggestion), but instead we have strange wee men* who have never seen the place churning out names like 'the Rowans', possibly through some online generator.

Edited by Hedgecutter

5 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Three people I work with have recently moved house and have opted for new builds (or relative new builds). There seems to be a real feeling that buying a new build is some sort of status symbol. A sign of luxury. However, these three locations are in Dumbarton, Clydebank and Airdrie.

Being as respectful as I can, I have suggested that buying an older house in a more affluent area of Glasgow/surrounds would be my choice. 

show them this, I wouldn't touch a house until it's settled. A friend of mine had raw sewage running through their house after the first spell of heavy rain.

5 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I've heard of others getting a row for planting a tree in their own land in England because of the weird leasehold stuff.

There's court action at the moment in England against most of the large property developers, with regard to new build estates.  The freeholders (the developer) are selling the houses in the new estates with very little profit margins, then selling the freehold of the land to investment companies for a fortune one the site is finished.  People are buying the houses on the promise of being able to purchase the freehold, then getting shafted. The whole concept of leasehold is mental.

I'm sure the Duke of Westminster owns about 700 acres of land in central London, most of which has property on it.

3 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Does Limmy base his character off of this guy or does this guy base his character off of Limmy'scharacter. Absolutely no chance there's real people like this, I'm not having it. 

I’ve been to Hauz Kaus and I seriously hope he got the shits.