Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

6 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Also gone are Caterina Pupfish (Mexico), Yangtze Softshell turtle and the Spix Macaw (Brazil) and no they are not the Norwegian Blue before anyone pipes up with this.
download__5_-x174.jpg?gWFDDjxLaWijuYVkz8

Are you sure they weren't pining for the fjords?

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The NHS is magnificent and we can't let the Tory and Labour (throw in the Lib Dems too, but they're insignificant enough) scum dismantle it and make it like the hideous America health service that is an outrageous con.

The American health service is ran for pure profit and the shit they can get away is breathtaking. The money they charge for things is straight up extortion. A truly despicable and disgusting system that takes some beating in how corrupt it is.

We absolutely have to fight for the NHS and not let the health service in the UK, and then in Scotland, become anything like the American system.

Anyway, woke up on Saturday with horrendous toothache. Had never experienced anything like it. Dreadful stuff. Masses of ibuprofen and paracetamol barely put a dent in it. It was weird though as at times it would subside then come back double. I'm not registered with a dentist so on Monday morning I called the emergency NHS number for Tayside, which happened to be the dental hospital. It was an answering machine so I left a message. After hanging up I did some Googling, as the pain was pretty awful just then. Found another number for emergency dental treatment, this time at King's Cross. Called them up and they offered me an appointment for 15.00 that afternoon. Just after I hung up (after taking the appointment obviously) the dental hospital phoned back to offer me an appointment (which I politely declined).

At the appointment at King's Cross they did an X-ray and saw the issue. Because of COVID they couldn't do the required procedure then (the dentist said she usually would but restrictions and protocols mean they have to do big cleans of rooms etc) so was booked in at 12.00 on Wednesday. 

Made it through to Wednesday with the pain ebbing and flowing. Went to the appointment and after about 10 minutes of drilling and tool work, a new filling was in place and the toothache was seemingly sorted (couldn't tell for sure at the time as my mouth was all numbed up). The good news was confirmed when the numbing stuff wore off later and I was pain free.

Absolutely brilliant service all round, and the speed of getting it all sorted, when there are so many restrictions in place, was incredible.

Oh, and the total cost? £0, although I would happily have paid them everything I had* to get rid of the toothache.

*Ok, everything I have is little more than zero but it was pay day on Wednesday and I would given them the lot to stop the pain

After Brexit and when Boris and his nasty mates have flogged everything off it'll have to be the Oor Wullie tooth extraction technique of string around a door handle.

8 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Having a look at the animals that have been labelled extinct this year and among them are the Sumatran Rhino, which had been on a life support system for a good number of decades. Wasn't this the rhino that shat all over the Blue Peter studio?

The last one passed away November last year.

sumatran-x340.jpg?6YXrqTQ6LlSNEknOe6xPQl

Also gone are Chinese Paddlefish, the Indian Cheetah and the Indochinese Tiger.

paddlefish-x800.jpg?KGk53ia03C5KSATYRox3

Also gone are Caterina Pupfish (Mexico), Yangtze Softshell turtle and the Spix Macaw (Brazil) and no they are not the Norwegian Blue before anyone pipes up with this.
download__5_-x174.jpg?gWFDDjxLaWijuYVkz8

But of a sod for Spix that his macaw has ceased to be. If he'd discovered Spix's Midge his name might not fade into obscurity as there's millions of b*****d midges.

17 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

After Brexit and when Boris and his nasty mates have flogged everything off it'll have to be the Oor Wullie tooth extraction technique of string around a door handle.

The dentist did offer to whip the tooth out on Monday then and there (it's one of the procedures they can do right away) but cautioned against it and I was inclined to agree.

Forgot to add that in March I woke up one Sunday morning with what felt like a shard of metal in my eye. After rinsing the eye for a good ten minutes, I had to conclude that it was fucked in some way, so had to chance A&E. This was very shortly after lockdown began. A&E was empty so got seen pretty quick by an on call doctor and got punted upstairs to get a more thorough examination from an optometrist consultant. After another examination she quickly diagnosed a cyst on my eye and gave me some eye drops. She also prescribed me some eye gel. Unfortunately the pharmacies I tried didn't stock it. The consultant said this might happen and had said to phone her if it did, so I did the next day. She pulled some behind the scenes strings and said she had procured a tube of said gel and said to meet her later in the main concourse of Ninewells. I fired down and got the gel and was profusely thankful. She had taken time out of her mental schedule to not only get the gel but wait for me to hand it over in person.

Great service and again the total cost was £0. In the American health system that would have been at least many hundreds of dollars. 

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The dentist did offer to whip the tooth out on Monday then and there (it's one of the procedures they can do right away) but cautioned against it and I was inclined to agree.

Forgot to add that in March I woke up one Sunday morning with what felt like a shard of metal in my eye. After rinsing the eye for a good ten minutes, I had to conclude that it was fucked in some way, so had to chance A&E. This was very shortly after lockdown began. A&E was empty so got seen pretty quick by an on call doctor and got punted upstairs to get a more thorough examination from an optometrist consultant. After another examination she quickly diagnosed a cyst on my eye and gave me some eye drops. She also prescribed me some eye gel. Unfortunately the pharmacies I tried didn't stock it. The consultant said this might happen and had said to phone her if it did, so I did the next day. She pulled some behind the scenes strings and said she had procured a tube of said gel and said to meet her later in the main concourse of Ninewells. I fired down and got the gel and was profusely thankful. She had taken time out of her mental schedule to not only get the gel but wait for me to hand it over in person.

Great service and again the total cost was £0. In the American health system that would have been at least many hundreds of dollars. 

Get her pumped.

8 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

I didn't know that. Checked the Historical Football Kits site, and not only were the shirts blue, but the rest of the kit went out of it's way to antagonize the locals as well 😆

20201001_210521.jpg

Spot when Tam Fagan found out yellow shirts were 10 bob cheaper than any other colour.

52 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I can hazard a guess where they've gone.

Not sure if it's the same species, but I recall a tv documentary about an island, maybe in the S. Pacific? Anyway, some colonists found it and, getting a tad peckish, made soup out out of the giant turtles that were indigenous.

Turns out they were like 4-legged pakora - super tasty and addictive. So, eventually they get down to the last pair with still the option to breed more. But nah. f**k it, cant resist. Ate them. Turtles no more.

Easy to judge, until you find yourself eating the last of the wean's selection box, knowing the grief its going to cause.

On 29/09/2020 at 19:00, Mark Connolly said:

Granny Danger looks nothing like I imagined

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Having a look at the animals that have been labelled extinct this year and among them...

sumatran-x340.jpg?6YXrqTQ6LlSNEknOe6xPQl

“I’ve got a swimming pool you little b*****d”

That’s how I picture him anyway. 

E02CC879-2D6A-4736-BB0D-EB61835A9438.jpeg

19 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

66% of bankruptcy cases in the US are from unpaid medical bills.

The figures are mental. They really pursue folk hard for medical bills (most of which are ludicrously expensive and are pretty much extortion).

2 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

I didn't know that. Checked the Historical Football Kits site, and not only were the shirts blue, but the rest of the kit went out of it's way to antagonize the locals as well 😆

20201001_210521.jpg

And Jock Stein, a Rovers player in the 40s, would have played in that vaguely staunch kit too!