Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Albion Rovers appear to be Coatbridge's alternative to Celtic.  Just saying. 

Explains the busloads of supporters from all over Scotland converging on Cliftonhill every second Saturday.

19 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

No, as our careers advice department considered of a twentysomething lad they'd stuck in an old broom closet, who looked haunted by the fact that this was his career.

However, the Job Centre stuck me in front of it when I was 15. After about twenty minutes answering questions, they handed me a piece of dot matrix paper with 'Florist' printed on  <_<

They might at least have used a daisy wheel.

On 29/09/2020 at 14:05, coprolite said:

I'd say there are two good alternatives. 

Make sure you're paid enough to compensate. 

Decide what you want to do, retrain and give it a good go. 

The most common reaction is to let inertia take over and sleepwalk towards middle age getting underpaid for a job you despise. 

That was me. ("Despise" might be too strong, but "not enjoyable".)

On 29/09/2020 at 22:19, D.A.F.C said:

I wish it was a comedy m9. Apologies for going off on one again. A bit like boy who cried wolf now but I’m going to ask for training or opportunities next month and explain that it’s that or I need to look elsewhere. They can’t defend their previous actions and will probably give it tough leave then but I think I need to hear it then act on it. As tough as it is in this financial climate, despite not appearing to do anything I have saved up enough to step away and pursue education while doing part time or full time. Not good timing with universities though either tbh but f**k it.

Good for you. 

On 30/09/2020 at 10:14, DiegoDiego said:

I think the movement really took off because a few years ago you were getting 15% returns so the whole process was accelerated, now that you're looking at returns more in line with historical norms the retirement age is being pushed back but the general principle is still solid. Volatility shouldn't be too much of an issue if you balance your portfolio well and increase your percentage of less volatile investments (i.e. bonds) as you approach end enter retirement. Of course, if you retired thinking the market would continue gaining at 15% a year then you're in for a tough time.

Kenneth Williams as secret agent Desmond Simkins in Carry On Spying.

The NHS is magnificent and we can't let the Tory and Labour (throw in the Lib Dems too, but they're insignificant enough) scum dismantle it and make it like the hideous America health service that is an outrageous con.

The American health service is ran for pure profit and the shit they can get away is breathtaking. The money they charge for things is straight up extortion. A truly despicable and disgusting system that takes some beating in how corrupt it is.

We absolutely have to fight for the NHS and not let the health service in the UK, and then in Scotland, become anything like the American system.

Anyway, woke up on Saturday with horrendous toothache. Had never experienced anything like it. Dreadful stuff. Masses of ibuprofen and paracetamol barely put a dent in it. It was weird though as at times it would subside then come back double. I'm not registered with a dentist so on Monday morning I called the emergency NHS number for Tayside, which happened to be the dental hospital. It was an answering machine so I left a message. After hanging up I did some Googling, as the pain was pretty awful just then. Found another number for emergency dental treatment, this time at King's Cross. Called them up and they offered me an appointment for 15.00 that afternoon. Just after I hung up (after taking the appointment obviously) the dental hospital phoned back to offer me an appointment (which I politely declined).

At the appointment at King's Cross they did an X-ray and saw the issue. Because of COVID they couldn't do the required procedure then (the dentist said she usually would but restrictions and protocols mean they have to do big cleans of rooms etc) so was booked in at 12.00 on Wednesday. 

Made it through to Wednesday with the pain ebbing and flowing. Went to the appointment and after about 10 minutes of drilling and tool work, a new filling was in place and the toothache was seemingly sorted (couldn't tell for sure at the time as my mouth was all numbed up). The good news was confirmed when the numbing stuff wore off later and I was pain free.

Absolutely brilliant service all round, and the speed of getting it all sorted, when there are so many restrictions in place, was incredible.

Oh, and the total cost? £0, although I would happily have paid them everything I had* to get rid of the toothache.

*Ok, everything I have is little more than zero but it was pay day on Wednesday and I would given them the lot to stop the pain

Edited by DA Baracus

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Having a look at the animals that have been labelled extinct this year and among them are the Sumatran Rhino, which had been on a life support system for a good number of decades. Wasn't this the rhino that shat all over the Blue Peter studio?

The last one passed away November last year.

sumatran-x340.jpg?6YXrqTQ6LlSNEknOe6xPQl