Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

BBC story about the "Land of hope and glory" row (massive minter)

There are folk who do this, aren't there?
Screenshot_20200902-142036_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

I've genuinely been impressed at the joint effort of the BBC and the Tory government to shape the media narrative in order to make the ordinary, everyday, working class, English man and woman on the street that their rights are somehow being impinged upon by something happening to the last night of the fucking Proms. Have you seen the sort of goon that turns up at these things? I'm not one to go in for the semi-ironic appropriation of far left wing politics you get by the Youth online, but if all these people were truncheoned to the face, shot and then guillotined just to be sure, the world would be a better place.

13 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Morning thoughts as I scroll the forum and I'm just sitting here thinking, how awful would this website be if you got rid of all the pre-2010 forum members?

There are exceptions but the pre-2010ers are of a higher quality in general imo.

The gloryhunters who joined just to point and laugh at Rangers dying are the worst ones.

5 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've genuinely been impressed at the joint effort of the BBC and the Tory government to shape the media narrative in order to make the ordinary, everyday, working class, English man and woman on the street that their rights are somehow being impinged upon by something happening to the last night of the fucking Proms. Have you seen the sort of goon that turns up at these things? I'm not one to go in for the semi-ironic appropriation of far left wing politics you get by the Youth online, but if all these people were truncheoned to the face, shot and then guillotined just to be sure, the world would be a better place.

VTs just off the phone; he’d like his patter back? 

5 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It's one of many British "traditions" that aren't really centuries old. Sir Henry Wood started the Proms in the 1890s but it was his successor Sir Malcolm "Flash Harry" Sergeant who shaped the Last Night as it is now in the 1950s and 1960s by encouraging the flag waving and all that shite. 

The words of Land of Dope and Tory (as I call it) were actually tacked on to Elgar's music at the suggestion of Edward VII and could be dropped. And I think Rule Britannia was dropped from the event for a couple of years a decade ago. Incidentally the original words were "Britons never SHALL be slaves" and were only changed to "never will" in the late 19th Century.

4 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

"Britons never SHALL be slaves" and were only changed to "never will" in the late 19th Century.

Probably because they saw how fucking badly slaves were treated by the British that led to such bravado.

6 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It's one of many British "traditions" that aren't really centuries old. Sir Henry Wood started the Proms in the 1890s but it was his successor Sir Malcolm "Flash Harry" Sergeant who shaped the Last Night as it is now in the 1950s and 1960s by encouraging the flag waving and all that shite. 

The words of Land of Dope and Tory (as I call it) were actually tacked on to Elgar's music at the suggestion of Edward VII and could be dropped. And I think Rule Britannia was dropped from the event for a couple of years a decade ago. Incidentally the original words were "Britons never SHALL be slaves" and were only changed to "never will" in the late 19th Century.

The best version of Pomp & Circumstance was usually accompanied by the Macho Man heading to the ring.

On 02/09/2020 at 07:10, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Morning thoughts as I scroll the forum and I'm just sitting here thinking, how awful would this website be if you got rid of all the pre-2010 forum members?

There are exceptions but the pre-2010ers are of a higher quality in general imo.

Moi, l'exception.

On 31/08/2020 at 22:44, bennett said:

Haven't seen a hedgehog in ages,  folk building garden walls and fences stop them going from garden to garden. 

Probably why there's an increase in slugs and snails. 

You want to get out of that massive Metropolis, bennett. When I take the dog out for his evening walk, we'll come across three or four of the p***kly little beggars. My furry little mate likes to investigate them, as they're a damn' sight easier to get close to than the pigeons. crows and tree-rats which also abound in our rural paradise. Not that that stops the daft bugger chasing them, mind..

2 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

You want to get out of that massive Metropolis, bennett. When I take the dog out for his evening walk, we'll come across three or four of the p***kly little beggars. My furry little mate likes to investigate them, as they're a damn' sight easier to get close to than the pigeons. crows and tree-rats which also abound in our rural paradise. Not that that stops the daft bugger chasing them, mind..

It's all the badgers fault, badgers, we don't need no stinkin badgers