Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

15 hours ago, GordonD said:

I remember many years ago reading about one of those school fetes where they tried to raise money by giving away a car if you rolled all sixes with a certain number of dice. (I thought it was six but the odds of doing that are better than 1 in 47,000 so it must have been more. Eight dice would be 1 in 1,679,616.) Anyway, they thought there was zero chance of somebody actually doing it so they didn't bother taking out insurance. And somebody did it. Can't remember the eventual outcome, whether the winner let them off with it or if he demanded they pay out. Possibly somewhere between the two.

Given that the object was to raise money for the school, what would you have done? Cleaned them out completely or walked away?

For the school that was a fete worse than death.

11 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Ohhh I just read the post you've quoted! Sorry, I wasn't trying to draw a comparison between the cases, more the point of law of sponsiones ludicrae which was that law courts didn't touch gambling at all (up until the Gambling Act 2005 came into effect anyway)

that's fair, I had added a wee "depends when/where it happened" in an edit at the start because I twigged it might not have came under scots law.

I just kinda guessed (stressing as a layman, it was literally touched on in a scots law unit I scraped through at college a few years ago, ha) that as it's a dice game being played to win the car it's effectively a form of gambling.

No worries. It was somewhere in England but I don't remember exactly where. Probably before 2007, too, however that affects things.

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that if the school was happy to take people's money then they should damn well pay out if they lose. Otherwise it's false pretences, no better than those guys playing 'Find the Lady' in the street.

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

No worries. It was somewhere in England but I don't remember exactly where. Probably before 2007, too, however that affects things.

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that if the school was happy to take people's money then they should damn well pay out if they lose. Otherwise it's false pretences, no better than those guys playing 'Find the Lady' in the street.

Yeah, that's fine. Think the gist is that if it happened before 2007 in the UK you'd be humped, no court would even touch it if they refused to pay out.

If it happened post Gambling Act I'm still  not honestly sure if that would cover it! Was thinking the fete could offer out a full refund to everyone that played the dice game to at least make everyone whole and that might get them out of any bother if someone called bullshit on them offering out a prize they don't actually have the means to pay out on, but I doubt a school fete will have great record/receipt keeping! Could well be an arbitration to sort it out if it gets that far.

Maybe they could pull some sort of deal-with-the-devil thing for a laugh. "Yeah you won a car... but it's a shitty wee toy like the one's you get out of a Kinder Egg, congrats."

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

5 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Took me a good minute to try and force my mind to find a goat in that image. 

It's a bird. 

I saw goat right away then I couldn’t see anything but a bird. Now I can see both.

4 hours ago, GordonD said:

You'd have a hard job finding a lady in our street...