Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

3 hours ago, Adam said:

One of my friends won a raffle on Friday night on FB, some car website. First prize, which he won, was a Lamborghini Aventador, which is worth circa £270,000. He was offered a cash prize of £130,000 instead, but decided to take the car. Drove to London from Glasgow at 2am yesterday morning and collected it.

He stays in a council estate near the east end of Glasgow. I think he has managed to find a secure space to keep the car, rather than have it parked outside his house.

I'd absolutely have assumed that this was a scam to get me down to London, remove my internal organs in some grotty garage, and probably shag my corpse for some horrible dark web video sharing site.

This is why I never win competitions.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

It’s 100% legitimate, I did think, up until he actually sent a photo of the car next to his house, that it was a wind-up. No idea how many tickets were sold.

I think the suggestion was the company running the raffles acquire the cars by illicit means

I remember many years ago reading about one of those school fetes where they tried to raise money by giving away a car if you rolled all sixes with a certain number of dice. (I thought it was six but the odds of doing that are better than 1 in 47,000 so it must have been more. Eight dice would be 1 in 1,679,616.) Anyway, they thought there was zero chance of somebody actually doing it so they didn't bother taking out insurance. And somebody did it. Can't remember the eventual outcome, whether the winner let them off with it or if he demanded they pay out. Possibly somewhere between the two.

Given that the object was to raise money for the school, what would you have done? Cleaned them out completely or walked away?

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'd absolutely have assumed that this was a scam to get me down to London, remove my internal organs in some grotty garage, and probably shag my corpse for some horrible dark web video sharing site.

This is why I never win competitions.

Even if it was a scam they’d probably give you the car to avoid shagging your corpse.

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Given that the object was to raise money for the school, what would you have done? Cleaned them out completely or walked away?

Cleaned them out completely then gave them the chance to win the full amount if they roll 7 x 6's. £1 a shot. 

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Even if it was a scam they’d probably give you the car to avoid shagging your corpse.

He's back, and agreeable as ever!  :lol:

6 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I remember many years ago reading about one of those school fetes where they tried to raise money by giving away a car if you rolled all sixes with a certain number of dice. (I thought it was six but the odds of doing that are better than 1 in 47,000 so it must have been more. Eight dice would be 1 in 1,679,616.) Anyway, they thought there was zero chance of somebody actually doing it so they didn't bother taking out insurance. And somebody did it. Can't remember the eventual outcome, whether the winner let them off with it or if he demanded they pay out. Possibly somewhere between the two.

Depends on the school.

If it's my son's school, obviously we'd pretend it never happened.

If it's Eton, it's going to court.

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

depends when/where it happened; my law knowledge is about as sketchy as Lionel Hutz but I think even if they demanded a payout, the school could just go "lol nope" and there'd be no recourse through the courts. Pretty sure Scottish courts up until relatively recently wouldn't touch anything related to gambling/gaming.

edit: ohhh there it is, had a google out of curiosity! https://www.sln.law.ed.ac.uk/2007/02/28/689-sponsiones-ludicrae-eyes-down/

"Note too that the doctrine of sponsiones ludicrae is in any event no more, having been abolished when section 335 of the Gambling Act 2005 came into force on 1 September 2007."

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

2 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

depends when/where it happened; my law knowledge is about as sketchy as Lionel Hutz 

Did you represent Thistle at the Court of Session and the Arbitration meeting recently by any chance....:whistle

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm watching Rise of the Superbombs and have just learned the USA's laser weapons are mounted on USS Ponce. I don't feel any safer or confident of winning the next war.

The Good Ship Ponce was launched in 1970 and has been decommissioned with the laser moved to USS Portland.

The Ponce was replaced in its forward role by the USS Lewis Puller (fnarr).

Apparently Argentina was interested in buying it which caused the MOD concerns it gave the Argies an ability to reinvade the Malvina.. sorry, the Falklands. Which leads to a Yes Minister type scene

Hacker: I'm worried about the Ponce

Sir Humphrey: Oh Minister, I'm sure Boris thinks you're doing a good job..

24 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

depends when/where it happened; my law knowledge is about as sketchy as Lionel Hutz but I think even if they demanded a payout, the school could just go "lol nope" and there'd be no recourse through the courts. Pretty sure Scottish courts up until relatively recently wouldn't touch anything related to gambling/gaming.

edit: ohhh there it is, had a google out of curiosity! https://www.sln.law.ed.ac.uk/2007/02/28/689-sponsiones-ludicrae-eyes-down/

"Note too that the doctrine of sponsiones ludicrae is in any event no more, having been abolished when section 335 of the Gambling Act 2005 came into force on 1 September 2007."

Doesn't seem to be the same thing at all. It would be if the bingo hall refused to pay out saying they couldn't afford it.

Anyway, why do you assume the fete was in Scotland?

23 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Doesn't seem to be the same thing at all. It would be if the bingo hall refused to pay out saying they couldn't afford it.

Anyway, why do you assume the fete was in Scotland?

Edit:

Ohhh I just read the post you've quoted! Sorry, I wasn't trying to draw a comparison between the cases, more the point of law of sponsiones ludicrae which was that law courts didn't touch gambling at all (up until the Gambling Act 2005 came into effect anyway)

that's fair, I had added a wee "depends when/where it happened" in an edit at the start because I twigged it might not have came under scots law.

I just kinda guessed (stressing as a layman, it was literally touched on in a scots law unit I scraped through at college a few years ago, ha) that as it's a dice game being played to win the car it's effectively a form of gambling.

Had another google:

https://seancrossansscotslaw.com/category/sponsiones-ludicrae/

"The end result in both Scotland and England was very much the same: gambling agreements were unenforceable, albeit this conclusion being arrived at on the basis of different philosophical principles (sponsiones ludicrae in Scottish decisions and illegality in English cases).

Historically, of course, successive UK Government were quite hypocritical in their attitude towards gambling activities. They were quite happy to tax the punters, yet the Scottish and English courts consistently refused to enforce such agreements. Typically, the courts regarded gambling agreements as below their dignity and not worthy of judicial scrutiny. In the past, unlucky punters who were slow or refused to settle outstanding gambling debts with a bookie may have found themselves having to do a runner from hired ‘muscle’, that had been engaged by the bookie, to persuade them to pay up.

It also cut the other way: a lucky punter might be outraged to learn that a bookie had no intention of paying out if a rank outsider had romped home in that year’s Grand National horse race."

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely