Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

3 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

A lassie I went to college with used to bring one of those magazines in to read in the canteen, so I'd have a peek from time to time.

The "how to please a man" advice was absolutely fucking mental and written by sadists. Sticking your fucking nails into his pisshole, FFS  :shutup

I started innocently reading something online recently that didn't go the way I expected. It was something like, imagine getting an A4 piece of paper, putting it on it's side, resting it on your pee-hole, then quickly sliding it along it to give you a massive paper cut. 

I hope everyone reading that winced as hard as I did when I first read it. 

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

I started innocently reading something online recently that didn't go the way I expected. It was something like, imagine getting an A4 piece of paper, putting it on it's side, resting it on your pee-hole, then quickly sliding it along it to give you a massive paper cut. 

Ive winced so hard I've turned inside out.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I think the statement made by her agents is very ill advised.  They emphasised that her partner hadn't wanted the prosecution to proceed, that's a very dangerous thing to say - how many domestic violence cases have this feature?  The prosecutor for the Rotherham child sexual abuse case was on the BBC today and said that increasing prosecutions for domestic abuse even without victim co-operation was a focus for authorities.  He made the point that the evidence they had was strong - the initial 999 call, medical evidence, footage from police bodycams, statements for other witnesses.

Her death is a tragedy but that doesn't mean that mean that committing suicide is some sort of morality hose down.  I hope I don't sound heartless but I think that the way mental health is discussed in the media and on social media lends itself to this - people are brave, fighting a battle, they have demons, they are struggling.  It's presented as a heroic battle that we have to support people in.  It's perfectly possible to have a mental health problem and engage in bad behaviour unrelated to this.

I saw this article on Twitter today about suicide, domestic abuse and coercive control in relationships, I thought it was interesting.  https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/love-sex/relationships/a9905675/domestic-abuse-suicide-control/

I had the news on earlier and reference was made to her fears about the body cam stuff being shown. I suspect as it wouldn’t have been flattering. 

If this had been a man who’d battered a woman then taken his life, I think the narrative would be very different.

4 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Prime fodder for the Would You Rather? thread, if it's still going.

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I think the statement made by her agents is very ill advised.  They emphasised that her partner hadn't wanted the prosecution to proceed, that's a very dangerous thing to say - how many domestic violence cases have this feature?  The prosecutor for the Rotherham child sexual abuse case was on the BBC today and said that increasing prosecutions for domestic abuse even without victim co-operation was a focus for authorities.  He made the point that the evidence they had was strong - the initial 999 call, medical evidence, footage from police bodycams, statements for other witnesses.

Her death is a tragedy but that doesn't mean that mean that committing suicide is some sort of morality hose down.  I hope I don't sound heartless but I think that the way mental health is discussed in the media and on social media lends itself to this - people are brave, fighting a battle, they have demons, they are struggling.  It's presented as a heroic battle that we have to support people in.  It's perfectly possible to have a mental health problem and engage in bad behaviour unrelated to this.

I saw this article on Twitter today about suicide, domestic abuse and coercive control in relationships, I thought it was interesting.  https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/love-sex/relationships/a9905675/domestic-abuse-suicide-control/

I've never watched Love Island, probably seen her on Strictly but don't remember, but I'm a bit surprised there's no talk about shutting Love Island down, like Jeremy Kyle. 3 linked suicides now, who doesn't think this force feeding of toxic celebrity culture has something to do with it?

Edited by welshbairn

12 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The "how to please a man" advice was absolutely fucking mental and written by sadists. Sticking your fucking nails into his pisshole, FFS  :shutup

Aye, you never got that in the knicker section of Kay’s Catalogue.

12 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Oh, I did. You horrible man, even thinking of repeating that.

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I've never watched Love Island, probably seen her on Strictly but don't remember, but I'm a bit surprised there's no talk about shutting Love Island down, like Jeremy Kyle. 3 linked suicides now, who doesn't think this force feeding of toxic celebrity culture has something to do with it?

I expect the advertising revenue is too great to for it to be shut down.

ITV have said that “the door was open” for Caroline Flack to return to Love Island after the court case.

I find this disturbing for a couple of reasons. One is that I just don’t think it’s true, if she had been found guilty of a crime of violence I don’t think they’d have taken her back in a million years. ITV are lying because they want to make themselves look good in the post suicide media storm.

Secondly, I think that this sort of statement is dangerous in terms of copycat actions. If people who are ill or suicidal or both see the actors in another situation make promises to change or being posthumously lauded then it could fuel the idea of “I’ll show them”. I’d have to look it up but I’m sure there is research into suicide that has shown that thi s motivation is relatively common.

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think Ant and Dec should be taken off the air immediately. I don't think they're linked with Caroline Flack in any way, that's just how I feel.