Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

11 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

It's a fucking great album. So many different lyrical styles exemplified across the songs. The punchlines and wordplay are brilliant. It's far, far better than anything he's put out for about 10 years. The featured artists on the first two tracks are weak, but I reckon that's the point - he immediately outplays them at their own game, and the later songs are more traditional Eminem. The lyric about Manchester is two bars out of about 1600 bars. Can't believe anyone really gives a shit.  There's an entire song dedicated to a young boy killing his step dad, and two verses humanising the Las Vegas hotel shooter, among other things and no-one cares about that.

Nothing about 9/11 then? Maybe he thought that would be in bad taste.

Surprising (actually, not) how the Americans only decided that terrorism was a Bad Thing when it happened to them. The people of Boston were outraged when somebody bombed their marathon. It wasn't that long before that a lot of Boston bars were actively fund-raising for the IRA. 

Just now, GordonD said:

Surprising (actually, not) how the Americans only decided that terrorism was a Bad Thing when it happened to them. The people of Boston were outraged when somebody bombed their marathon. It wasn't that long before that a lot of Boston bars were actively fund-raising for the IRA. 

There is a line about 9/11 in the same song.

Holy shit there's a lot to unpick here Gordon.

Surely you're not suggesting that Islamic extremists are the same as Irish republicans back in the day? That's the type of statement that could destroy a Scottish football forum!

In terms of the Eminem lyrics - there's not much to that. It's a fairly meh reference, and I'm cataloguing it as 'nothing to see here, folks'.

23 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Biggie (not that one) also rapped “blow up like the world trade”. He was referring to the first half-arsed attempt to blow it up. Or was he part of the inside job and not really dead 💥?

There's also a line in Dre's 'High Powered' from The Chronic album which says, "I drop bombs like Hiroshima" followed by a big explosion. I would argue Hiroshima was a bit worse than Manchester. 

Holy shit there's a lot to unpick here Gordon.

Surely you're not suggesting that Islamic extremists are the same as Irish republicans back in the day? That's the type of statement that could destroy a Scottish football forum!

In terms of the Eminem lyrics - there's not much to that. It's a fairly meh reference, and I'm cataloguing it as 'nothing to see here, folks'.

Pretty much. I loved Eminem growing up. I suspect he is lucky he came to prominence in the 90’s/early 2000’s rather than now though.

There's also a line in Dre's 'High Powered' from The Chronic album which says, "I drop bombs like Hiroshima" followed by a big explosion. I would argue Hiroshima was a bit worse than Manchester. 

Hiroshima was a long time ago and is an accepted event in history that marked the end of a war, not really a case of it being worse than Manchester but it’s certainly a far less sensitive subject to rap about in 2020.

I’m a massive fan of Eminem and think the album is great fwiw I just think he should have left that line out.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

On a tangent. I was just in the toilets at the gym and an older man was stood at the urinals but he’d actually pulled his shorts down to the point he was actually baring his arse at the urinal.

This struck me as extremely odd behaviour.

There’s a whole thread on this on here.

Unsurprisingly.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

On a tangent. I was just in the toilets at the gym and an older man was stood at the urinals but he’d actually pulled his shorts down to the point he was actually baring his arse at the urinal.

Could have prostate trouble, you have to poke about a bit. I'd have used a cubicle though. 

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Once went to Montrose hospitality and was in Market Arms beforehand there was a boy who pulled his joggers(!) doen to his ankles at the urinal and had a pish. Half way through this pish he turned to my mate beside him and asked him if he was Garry Wood and why he was having a pint a couple of hours before kick off. 

Surreal. 

Once went to Montrose hospitality and was in Market Arms beforehand there was a boy who pulled his joggers(!) doen to his ankles at the urinal and had a pish. Half way through this pish he turned to my mate beside him and asked him if he was Garry Wood and why he was having a pint a couple of hours before kick off. 
Surreal. 

When you say he turned to your mate, did he do that whilst peeing and pee onto your mate? Coz that would be extra funny.

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

When you say he turned to your mate, did he do that whilst peeing and pee onto your mate? Coz that would be extra funny.

He was still pishing at the time, yes. Sadly, no pish hit my mate.

Edit : there was another story from the same day actually. A guy latched onto us for a blether and I noticed his hand was bandaged up. I asked him what had happened and it was because Celtic had lost to AC Milan with a last minute goal during that week (might have been a penalty) and he quite proudly exclaimed that he punched f**k out his telly.

Lovely pub, though. 

Edited by Dele

27 minutes ago, throbber said:

Hiroshima was a long time ago and is an accepted event in history that marked the end of a war, not really a case of it being worse than Manchester but it’s certainly a far less sensitive subject to rap about in 2020.

I’m a massive fan of Eminem and think the album is great fwiw I just think he should have left that line out.

I reckon it's annoyed you because he's on about something that's happened closer to home and it's struck a nerve - nothing wrong with that, it's human nature, but at this stage in his career I'm surprised that anyone thinks Eminem gives a f**k about controversial subjects, people's sensitivities or offending anyone considering he's built an entire career out of it. His whole appeal is how he literally does not give a f**k (apart from how many star ratings his album gets if the first track is anything to go by). Anyone should know that if someone is going to talk about raping their own mother then nothing's off limits. 

FWIW I've listened to the album three times now and I think it's fucking shite bar a couple of decent tunes. Too much singing.

I’ll get over it myself but I just think it’s a shame on the people who were most affected by the attack to have to hear about it again, even rapping about raping his own mother isn’t so controversial as it’s directed at someone he has fallen out with.

I like the album anyway, Relapse and Encore were his most outrageous ones.