Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

If being offended by his songs if your thing, step away from them.

People who were affected by the Manchester attacks will have got wind of these lyrics because it’s on the news and on social media which was a likely consequence given the popularity of Eminem and the controversy of the lyrics, it’s not a case of stepping away from anything.

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

It’s number 1 album in 45 countries worldwide.

Exactly his previous album only toped the album chart in 17 countries the one before only 13 the one before that 13 as well. He needed to rock the boat. I would argue he's gone the wrong way about it.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Exactly his previous album only toped the album chart in 17 countries the one before only 13 the one before that 13 as well. He needed to rock the boat. I would argue he's gone the wrong way about it.

I'd imagine him, his management team and bank manager would argue differently. 

People who were affected by the Manchester attacks will have got wind of these lyrics because it’s on the news and on social media which was a likely consequence given the popularity of Eminem and the controversy of the lyrics, it’s not a case of stepping away from anything.
It's almost as if controversial lyrics that'll stir public outrage would be a good way to get people to listen to a song.

23 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:
4 hours ago, throbber said:

It's almost as if controversial lyrics that'll stir public outrage would be a good way to get people to listen to a song.

It's the modern equivalent of getting banned by the BBC

It's a fucking great album. So many different lyrical styles exemplified across the songs. The punchlines and wordplay are brilliant. It's far, far better than anything he's put out for about 10 years. The featured artists on the first two tracks are weak, but I reckon that's the point - he immediately outplays them at their own game, and the later songs are more traditional Eminem. The lyric about Manchester is two bars out of about 1600 bars. Can't believe anyone really gives a shit.  There's an entire song dedicated to a young boy killing his step dad, and two verses humanising the Las Vegas hotel shooter, among other things and no-one cares about that.

Listen to this

Spoiler

That's a double entendre which is two verses long. Equally describing his own fears and anxiety about performing and also the thoughts and experiences of the Las Vegas shooter. You don't often see such lyrically complex hip hop and it's usually by true legends of the game, another example being "Rewind" by Nas. I understand that not everyone appreciates hip hop, but there's a reason that people who do tend to respect Eminem.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

11 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Listen to this

Hide contents

That's a double entendre which is two verses long. Equally describing his own fears and anxiety about performing and also the thoughts and experiences of the Las Vegas shooter. You don't often see such lyrically complex hip hop and it's usually by true legends of the game, another example being "Rewind" by Nas. I understand that not everyone appreciates hip hop, but there's a reason that people who do tend to respect Eminem.

No epic solos then?

1 hour ago, bennett said:

No epic solos then?

I don't get the reference, but in guessing you're commenting on the tone in my post that I sort of know what I'm talking about. I'm definitely not a huge hip hop fan, reggae is more my thing, but I would say hip hop has been around for 30+ years and - as with anything - if you get enough people involved, there will be a few genius creative people who put all their energy into it and create something that's quite difficult to emulate by the rest of the pack, and deserves respect for the hard work and thought that's gone into it. Maybe v few people on here have any appreciation for hip hop in that way, but just because you don't know what makes it special doesn't mean it isn't. 

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Not sure what's cringier tbh, a middle-aged man making this kind of music or middle aged men defending it on the internet

I'm definitely not middle aged. I think there was a survey on here that showed the vast majority of posters are in their 20s, that includes me. As to your reference to "this kind of music", see above.