Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

We used to read Commando comics as well- they're still being published folks (albeit, ironically, printed in Germany. Achtung, Spitfeur! Aieee!). I'm sure writers like Alan Grant and Pat Mills started with comics like Commando and went to write more subversive material in titles like 2000AD. 

Have you read Charley's War?

58 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Have you read Charley's War?

After borrowing it from the Central Library I ended up buying the whole set of collected volumes because it's bloody good .

Funnily enough my boss looks like Captain Snell and is also a complete cnut .

17 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I was telling a younger friend about how all the laddies of my generation grew up reading those comics and looking back, how truly awful they were. She asked "Why did your parents buy you them then?"

Found myself stumbling to come up with a decent answer and desperately trying not to go full David Brent with "Well, that was in the seventies when racism wasn't bad so..."

It was even less bad in the sixties. Bloody PC gone mad, imho.

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

In the days before everyone got offended about absolutely everything.

Apart from folks being biased about the Scots.

My mother, watching Come Dancing. "I don't like Peter West. He's biased against the Scots, and I hate people that are biased."

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

My mother, watching Come Dancing. "I don't like Peter West. He's biased against the Scots, and I hate people that are biased."

😄

I've written before about my Dad, who was a great guy in many ways but in others...

He was delicately sensitive to any perceived media "bias against the Scots" but saw nothing wrong with his own regular xenophobic diatribes against the English. My sister who'd lived in England since she was six, married an Englishman and raised their kids as English, eventually had to tell him to stop doing this in front of his grandchildren. He genuinely couldn't understand why this was a problem.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

My father and I were in stitches when she came out with this. She, of course, couldn't see what we were laughing about.

9 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

😄

I've written before about my Dad, who was a great guy in many ways but in others...

He was delicately sensitive to any perceived media "bias against the Scots" but saw nothing wrong with his own regular xenophobic diatribes against the English. My sister who'd lived in England since she was six, married an Englishman and raised their kids as English, eventually had to tell him to stop doing this in front of his grandchildren. He genuinely couldn't understand why this was a problem.

Come Dancing and Show Jumping were two programmes my mother enjoyed. I don't recall her getting het up about the Show Jumping, but that was usually an individual competition - Harvey Smith was her favourite,iirc - and I think team events were the UK, rather than Scottish and English teams, so that was fine, unlike Come Dancing where Scotland entered a team England must have had half a dozen teams, to be fair to my mum. But she was quite p***kly about actual/perceived anti Scottish bias.

ETA: Swear filter in operation! :lol:

Edited by Jacksgranda

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Classic story, people who inexplicably make it to retirement with a lot of cash invest the lot in a terrible business venture which of course fails.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-50420937

Thought that was going to be about the so-called Lottery Lout who invested his money in Rangers.

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

Thought that was going to be about the so-called Lottery Lout who invested his money in Rangers.

or the Hamilton lottery winner who invested his money in a certain club you and me don't particularly like, Gordon... 

On 15/11/2019 at 23:16, tamthebam said:

I remember seeing the Siamese Cat song in Lady and the Tramp as a nipper and didn't think it was racist just a fun song about two cats. I was musing about this the other day- the African-American maid in the Tom and Jerry cartoons is a stereotype except because I had a black pal as a lad I just used to think that the maid wasn't actually a maid but the owner of the house and that she probably looked like Big Doz's mum!

Same goes for the siamese cats in LATT.

Same also goes for the Mammy stereotype in Tom & Jerry. What's really worrying me, though, is that it had never occurred to me until your post that she wasn't the lady of the house, and was the indentured housekeeper for an unseen white family  :blink:

What was the name of the football series of wee comics made by the same folk who published Commando?

I was never interested in the war stuff, but I consumed the shit out of the other ones.