Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

It is great, I still get annoyed that Snork Maiden got to see it from a touring Maori Team when she was at School to utter indifference whilst our useless team would have been inspired & lapped it up.
Class when a huge big stadium goes silent and you can hear the shouts of the captain leading it. Back of the neck stuff.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

It's about respect for the traditions of the game.

Shit like this should matter in all sports.

Yes and no.

The All Blacks didn't take it particularly seriously until Wayne Shelford became captain, and they didn't do it in NZ until the first World Cup, it only really happened on tour.

I agree that it's brilliant though, and should absolutely be part of the game. I also believe you should be able to get right in their faces as they do it. They should also only do Ka Mate and get Kapa O Pango to f**k.

Yes and no.
The All Blacks didn't take it particularly seriously until Wayne Shelford became captain, and they didn't do it in NZ until the first World Cup, it only really happened on tour.
I agree that it's brilliant though, and should absolutely be part of the game. I also believe you should be able to get right in their faces as they do it. They should also only do Ka Mate and get Kapa O Pango to f**k.
Aye. Wasnt it a Wales team that walked right up to the line and faced them down then the All Blacks walked up to them with the ref having kittens unable to get them to back down to start the game.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:
Yes and no.

Aye. Wasnt it a Wales team that walked right up to the line and faced them down then the All Blacks walked up to them with the ref having kittens unable to get them to back down to start the game.

IIRC they just stood their ground and everybody refused to move.

Ex-Ireland player and ex-Scotland forwards coach (he of the "you don't understand the difference between a gameplan and a matchplan" line) Willie Anderson led the best response.

Guest Moomintroll
We made the mistake of singing Humpty Dumpty to it back in the early 90's. That did not end well.

15 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We made the mistake of singing Humpty Dumpty to it back in the early 90's. That did not end well.

I went to see the touring AB's play Scotland A at Anniesland in 1993 as an 11 year old.

I was sitting in the front row behind the goal facing them, and even from 50-60 yards away, it was like their eyes were burning into my soul. Jamie Joseph, Frank Bunce and Inga Tuigamala were all there. Frightening.

43 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

IIRC they just stood their ground and everybody refused to move.

Ex-Ireland player and ex-Scotland forwards coach (he of the "you don't understand the difference between a gameplan and a matchplan" line) Willie Anderson led the best response.

That’s brilliant. Who won the game?

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I've been doing this for a couple of months.

Good thing is even when you cancel, you get the rest of what you've paid for (as opposed to having to remember to cancel at a certain point in the month).

But you don't get to pause and rewind the action. Slightly annoying.

No red button choice either. I put up with Now TV as a demonstration of my commitment to the househo!d budget.

I seem to remember the shit hitting the fan when the Spice Girls did it. The Maoris thought they were taking the piss.

(Just checked and it happened in Bali, not NZ itself - which would mean there's even less excuse for it.)

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Why is it acceptable that both teams get to do their national anthem but then New Zealand get to do this additional pre match ritual? Seems like an unfair advantage.

Agreed. It's been a point of contention for a long time in rugby as well. They should do it before they go in to get stripped. Teams shouldn't have to stand and endure it just before kick off. They get really pissy about it if anyone dares not stand there and take it, and even purposely injured a British and Irish Lions player some years back for it.

Agreed. It's been a point of contention for a long time in rugby as well. They should do it before they go in to get stripped. Teams shouldn't have to stand and endure it just before kick off. They get really pissy about it if anyone dares not stand there and take it, and even purposely injured a British and Irish Lions player some years back for it.
The irony of course is that O'Driscoll had been told beforehand that by doing what he did (lay down a feather or something I think) it would be taken as the ultimate mark of respect as it showed the Lions were accepting the challenge.

5 hours ago, throbber said:

Why is it acceptable that both teams get to do their national anthem but then New Zealand get to do this additional pre match ritual? Seems like an unfair advantage.

Nothing to stop England doing a Morris dance in retaliation.