Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

OK. I want to share this. Read this on the BBC website, and didn’t know where to post it. Thought to myself ‘fcuk it, here will do’.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-4968812

Modern life. It’s confusing.

I cant say I understand the non binary thing, but if someone gets upset by being called he/him she/her and it has a significant impact on them then im quite happy to call them they/them. Ive met a few folk who have developed psychiatric issues around gender etc and It seems to be a really big issue to them, so hey if its a big deal to them and doesnt hurt anyone then i’ll call them whatever they want.

3 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I cant say I understand the non binary thing, but if someone gets upset by being called he/him she/her and it has a significant impact on them then im quite happy to call them they/them. Ive met a few folk who have developed psychiatric issues around gender etc and It seems to be a really big issue to them, so hey if its a big deal to them and doesnt hurt anyone then i’ll call them whatever they want.

Pretty much how I feel.

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Pretty much the same as me. I dont think anyone who is comfortable with themselves will understand the issue completely. At the end of the day what a person is called has zero effect on anyone else so they should crack on with it and be called whatever they want. 

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

OK. I want to share this. Read this on the BBC website, and didn’t know where to post it. Thought to myself ‘fcuk it, here will do’.

I've started to see business letters using they. At first I thought it was poor grammar and takes a bit of getting used to. I had usually thought of they as a plural. I still don't think it reads well, but I'm guessing "it" wouldn't be acceptable.

Will a baby be described as they until they declare a gender?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Pretty much the same as me. I dont think anyone who is comfortable with themselves will understand the issue completely. At the end of the day what a person is called has zero effect on anyone else so they should crack on with it and be called whatever they want. 
It is very much a each to their own issue IMO. I have said before though I have a slight issue with the way the issue is portrayed publicly. I dont agree that its a battle that currently needs fought. Homosexuals are still being discriminated against and gender (male/female) discrimination still exist in todays society.

I cant bring myself to give a f**k about someone's pronoun or what they don't want to be when there are people who are targeted for what they are.

The gender classification thing might be front and center one day, and fine, hopefull that means we have sorted the bigger issues. For now though, it often smacks of people looking for a twitter cause.

7 hours ago, pozbaird said:

One of my best friends came out as non-binary and honestly they are so much happier than I have ever seen them so I'm glad that they have made the change as it was clearly effecting their mental health. Eventually they will transition to using pronouns her/she I think it's important people can decide their gender as it makes no difference to anyone else and is a huge thing for them personally. I'm not sure it should be front page news as it's a very personal decision.

You can, your sex on the otherhand can't be changed

Seems mad to me. There are two defined ‘sexes’ but then some people decide their gender falls out with these two.

For the record,I have no real issue with people defining themselves as whatever. It is just a sign of the times. However, i don’t really understand it

I feel for your friend that her mental health has suffered due to something that (to me) is very trivial

If someone gave me tickets to see Sam Smith, and I was talking to someone about it, I would definitely, absolutely, without a second thought, say ‘Going to see Sam Smith, I think his stuff is shite, although the Bond theme he did was decent’.

If someone gave me tickets to see Duran Duran, and I was talking to someone about it, I would definitely, absolutely, without a second thought, say ‘Going to see Duran Duran, I think their stuff is decent, although the Bond theme they did was shite’.

Without any thought of insulting anyone, dis-respecting anyone, or discriminating against anyone, that would be my use of ‘he, him, they, and them’. One artist is a male singer, one is a group. Sam Smith can identify himself as anything he wants, just as Eddie Izzard can slap on the lippy and a skirt, and swan down Buchanan Street to aid the implosion of Scottish Labour.... but he’s a bloke. With a penis, like Sam Smith, so I will forever call both of them ‘he, him’. Will Sam Smith be offended if he writes a new fantastic album and is nominated at the Brits for ‘Best British Male Artist’?

I’m unlikely to ever meet Sam Smith, so my flagrant use of ‘he and him’ while talking about a male singer is unlikely to ever upset him. Oh fcuk, did it again.

Edited by pozbaird

13 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Seems mad to me. There are two defined ‘sexes’ but then some people decide their gender falls out with these two.

For the record,I have no real issue with people defining themselves as whatever. It is just a sign of the times. However, i don’t really understand it

I feel for your friend that her mental health has suffered due to something that (to me) is very trivial

Everyone is sorted into a little box as soon as their born, white Scottish male, in my case and if people themselves don't see themselves as matching their label then it must be wearing, your gender isn't that trivial as you clearly wouldn't change it.

Sex is binary, gender is several shades of grey it's like saying sexual attraction should be fairly straightforward but obviously it's not when humans are presented with a choice we never make binary choices, we choose the thing that is most identifiable to us in this case no gender or gender fluid