Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

No mate, not a myth. A harsh fact in many cases. The issue is more so with diesel but to a lesser extent, petrol too. Particularly if you’re a diesel driver who regularly fills up at the supermarket, as a general rule of thumb, (and at the risk of being done speeding) you need to boot the arse out your motor fairly often.

What’s wrong with supermarket petrol?
I think it's to do with additives they put in, the fuel itself should be ok but each place adds in its own mixes of additives to it, some are designed for clearing engine or for keeping carbon from injectors.
Diesels have a particle filter on them and some supermarket additives aren't efficient enough to keep these clean and you suffer loss of power when it's clogged.
Obviously if supermarkets are selling below branded petrol prices the additives won't be as expensive to manufacture and that's when it can get funny results.
I use local independent garages here but every 6 months will run a dipthene treatment to the tank to clear out any potential buildups. Then again I also do over 300 miles a week as a commute without added trips in a 17 year old car.

What’s wrong with supermarket petrol?

See post from@weirdcal[emoji116]

Sounds like a lot of shit to me

Yeah, pretty much is.

I think it's to do with additives they put in, the fuel itself should be ok but each place adds in its own mixes of additives to it, some are designed for clearing engine or for keeping carbon from injectors.
Diesels have a particle filter on them and some supermarket additives aren't efficient enough to keep these clean and you suffer loss of power when it's clogged.
Obviously if supermarkets are selling below branded petrol prices the additives won't be as expensive to manufacture and that's when it can get funny results.
I use local independent garages here but every 6 months will run a dipthene treatment to the tank to clear out any potential buildups. Then again I also do over 300 miles a week as a commute without added trips in a 17 year old car.

Pretty much spot on. Also depends on the car, how it’s driven, or if the owner does anything to look after the engine in respect of above common issues. In some instances, regularly driving it like you’ve stolen it is beneficial as you basically blast all the crap out of it. Similarly you can drive sensibly but maybe buy a bottle of Red-ex or similar product and pour it in the fuel tank every couple of months.

Some cars might go for ten years on supermarket fuel with no issues, but some cars might only go two or three years. Apparently it’s becoming a more common issue in newer cars too as engines are evolving to be more eco-friendly etc, but then don’t deal well with cruder fuel.

44 minutes ago, supermik said:

When premium unleaded is available I tend to pay the extra and it seems to make a slight difference, could be psychosomatic though. Never noticed any difference between independents and supermarkets though.

Edited by welshbairn

Who are the supermarkets who add the additives?
Most petrol stations tend to add to the base mix of fuel.
Fwiw, I think it's Sainsbury's that get theirs from bp pre additives.

Fuel has to meet certain standards prior to selling (octane levels etc) where additives can then enhance the quality of fuel purchased.
You'll find some are close to basic fuel and some will have slot of additives, some will charge you more for a premium fuel that's higher octane and better additives that may seem like it improves efficiency

Dodgy supermarket fuel is definitely a thing with Tesco being the main culprit as far as news stories I can remember. Off the top of my head I recall Tesco being caught out literally watering down fuel and them and Morrisons having to shell out to repair customers vehicles due to fuel contamination on another occasion. Pretty sure Tesco have had to fork out on numerous occasions.

10 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

What’s the story there then? Was it an unusually massive jobby or something?

It certainly was. Out at the Pans. East Lothian Council have had to put a flag on top to warn aircraft. 

prestonpans.jpg.cdd714164470eafb6c23f853b337f52b.jpg

The bar I’m in has been playing a definite 80’s / 90’s themed compilation on the in-house phonographic System.
Particular highlights in the last 15 mins have been.
Pass The Dutchie (sp)- Musical Youth.
Nellie the Elepahant- Toy Dolls?

It’s like I’m back in a school disco! Loving it!

Express yourself by Labrinth has just come on. So now I’m outside the school disco. ☹️