Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

In our business we use sealants such as silicone.  Fortunately not in massive amounts.

We got notification in June that the prices were to increase between 11% and 19%. We had another notification earlier this month of a further price increase of between 17% and 20%.

So cumulativily 30% to 40% over 6 months! 

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

In our business we use sealants such as silicone.  Fortunately not in massive amounts.

We got notification in June that the prices were to increase between 11% and 19%. We had another notification earlier this month of a further price increase of between 17% and 20%.

Poor Granny. If only there was a way he could recover this extra expense.

3 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Poor Granny. If only there was a way he could recover this extra expense.

You recover it by passing it on to the customer.  For businesses using large amounts of such products that could prove more difficult.

I have not been able to find out why this particular product has shot up in price.  I would imagine a 30-40% increase in the price of other items would set alarm bells ringing.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Similar with various stationery supplies - Brexit being blamed (though AFAIK it hasn't actually happened yet). Companies planning ahead for the perceived hike in costs on the horizon and raking in the cash while they can. 

For silica products there's increasing demand from other industries such as cosmetics and tech. China is tightening environmental regulations on it's manufacture too.

We've had a new safe put in at work to house various keys. It's one of those ones that required you to input a code to open.

Today the manager was putting the batteries in the door for the panel and was setting up it, which requires a code to be selected.

I made a suggestion to the manager for the code and am pleased to inform you all that the code for the safe in the office is now

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

You recover it by passing it on to the customer.  For businesses using large amounts of such products that could prove more difficult.

I have not been able to find out why this particular product has shot up in price.  I would imagine a 30-40% increase in the price of other items would set alarm bells ringing.

The short answer is China.  Slightly longer answer here - https://www.gep.com/mind/blog/silicone-prices-surge-globally-as-supply-dwindles-what-does-the-future-hold

We've had a new safe put in at work to house various keys. It's one of those ones that required you to input a code to open.
Today the manager was putting the batteries in the door for the panel and was setting up it, which requires a code to be selected.
I made a suggestion to the manager for the code and am pleased to inform you all that the code for the safe in the office is now

^^^ big team found