Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

8 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-45110151

A survey of takeaways in Glasgow has found the average size of a portion of chips has increased by more than 80% since 2002.

Campaign group Obesity Action Scotland (OAS) said it had visited 30 outlets and found that the average single portion of chips weighed 380g.

That compared with an average serving of 210g, detailed by the Food Standards Agency's portion booklet in 2002.

You can't have too many chips.

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Caught wanking in the pakora sauce.  Again.

vvvvv

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Life is a wee bit complicated just now and as such I must flounce off in a dandy blur. Hopefully be back one day. Love you all xxx

tenor.gif?itemid=3574434

12 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-45110151

A survey of takeaways in Glasgow has found the average size of a portion of chips has increased by more than 80% since 2002.

Campaign group Obesity Action Scotland (OAS) said it had visited 30 outlets and found that the average single portion of chips weighed 380g.

That compared with an average serving of 210g, detailed by the Food Standards Agency's portion booklet in 2002.

As far as I can tell, the Food Standards Agency portion booklet isn't a survey of how big portions are, it's a guide to how big portions should be.  To suggest that in 2002 all Glasgow chippies were following these guidelines is a bit of a leap, to say the least.  

The story doesn't suggest the criteria for the outlets selected - did they leave outlets that focus on healthier food out, did they focus on chip shops or Indians and Chinese takeaways?  McDonalds and Burger King?

Food guidelines themselves are hotly contested with some studies contradicting the advice given by successive governments.

Surely the issue isn't that chippies are bad for you - you're never really going to get a healthy chippie.  It's people's overall diets and lifestyles that need to be improved, not a crackdown on chip shops.  If you eat healthily then having a chippie every once in a while isn't going to hurt you.

Edited by ICTChris

As far as I can tell, the Food Standards Agency portion booklet isn't a survey of how big portions are, it's a guide to how big portions should be.  To suggest that in 2002 all Glasgow chippies were following these guidelines is a bit of a leap, to say the least.  
The story doesn't suggest the criteria for the outlets selected - did they leave outlets that focus on healthier food out, did they focus on chip shops or Indians and Chinese takeaways?  McDonalds and Burger King?
Food guidelines themselves are hotly contested with some studies contradicting the advice given by successive governments.
Surely the issue isn't that chippies are bad for you - you're never really going to get a healthy chippie.  It's people's overall diets and lifestyles that need to be improved, not a crackdown on chip shops.  If you eat healthily then having a chippie every once in a while isn't going to hurt you.
Portion control is a pretty massive factor though, no matter what you eat.

When my eldest was a baby I reneger reading a thing about babies under 18 months (or something) will only eat what they want, no matter the portion size. After that, the bigger the portions, the more the eat.

I think in general folk give their weans too much food in our society.

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Portion control is a pretty massive factor though, no matter what you eat.

When my eldest was a baby I reneger reading a thing about babies under 18 months (or something) will only eat what they want, no matter the portion size. After that, the bigger the portions, the more the eat.

I think in general folk give their weans too much food in our society.

That's probably correct but I'm not sure that regulating the number of chips in a portion is the best way to deal with it.  If you are eating so much of your diet in chippies that you need regulations to help you control your portions then you've got problems.

having said that, the world's richest man and the world's most powerful man both eat McDonald's every day so maybe we should just batter on with eating complete shite.

Life is a wee bit complicated just now and as such I must flounce off in a dandy blur. Hopefully be back one day. Love you all xxx
tenor.gif?itemid=3574434&key=e4d1fc129bfc25d614f4ac43872a70036985be27843add7aa9f0ed9eecbc7534

I echo Panda’s sentiments. Hope all is well Mr Par and that everything works itself out. Life has a habit of getting complicated but also sorting itself out in the end.
And as I’m a nosey c**t feel free to drop me a pm and I’ll share it with everyone [emoji4]

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3574434

Hope all is ok you p***k xx

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Are you saying Shandon's real name is Donald Fotheringham Smyth?

I've said too much

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

FTFY

There are quite a few parks nearby so it's a good selection.