Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

21 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Another one that's come to mind was when Hamilton won the F1 (I'm assuming) and when England went through and she wrote in the group chat "A great day for British sport". Trying to tell her Britain weren't in the World Cup was more difficult than it should have been.

If she'd said "English sport" she'd have got pelters I'm sure.   Perhaps she found telling you that England is part of Britain equally challenging!

Unpopular Opinions thread for this pish, I know!

If she'd said "English sport" she'd have got pelters I'm sure.   Perhaps she found telling you that England is part of Britain equally challenging!
Unpopular Opinions thread for this pish, I know!
If she had said English Sport I wouldn't have cared though she'd still have been technically wrong given Hamilton represents Britain.

England represent England in football. If their results had some kind of effect on the other home nations FIFA rankings then even then I could see the point. But when it comes to football the nations are (rightly) out for themselves.

If she had said English Sport I wouldn't have cared though she'd still have been technically wrong given Hamilton represents Britain.

England represent England in football. If their results had some kind of effect on the other home nations FIFA rankings then even then I could see the point. But when it comes to football the nations are (rightly) out for themselves.
Nah mate, she's an annoying arsehole but on that small point she's probably right.

I’d argue Hamilton is representing Mercedes (I believe that’s who pays him?) rather than England or Britain. Feel it would be like argue John Souttar is representing Scotland when he plays for Hearts, as an example.
England are representing England, not Britain. Agreed.

Nah mate, she's an annoying arsehole but on that small point she's probably right.
She's really not. Don't encourage her! Do you think any England football fan at any point thinks "we can do this for Britain!" or that any other nation in the world will think 'Britain' are good at football now England have reached the semi's.

It's really not an anti-Britain stance. I like to see Britain do well in thr Olympics. But football is a totally different thing.

She's really not. Don't encourage her! Do you think any England football fan at any point thinks "we can do this for Britain!" or that any other nation in the world will think 'Britain' are good at football now England have reached the semi's.

It's really not an anti-Britain stance. I like to see Britain do well in thr Olympics. But football is a totally different thing.
But she was referring to more than one event. It's already been mentioned but if she'd said English sport then someone would've rightly pointed out that Hamilton is classed as a British driver in f1 (the wee flag next to his name tells us this).

Ever been in a job where you're instantly 'not feeling it?'
If so, how do you know when/if it's the correct time to leave?
I've been here 2 months but trying to hang on for six then leave (CV purposes). 
Hiya stevie Gerrard, hiya pal!!

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

England is part of Britain and all 3 nations represent Britain regardless of having a separate identity in some sports (including football).  If this was a PTTGOYN I'd understand your point.  Surely you cannot be upset that Britain gets praise for the success of a British team?  

It's like those people who get upset when a Scot succeeds in sport and becomes British but in reverse.  

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

We're not talking about English fans though, are we?  We are talking about rational people who can understand the concept of a country representing both itself on one level and a greater entity on another.  On you second point, absolutely many foreigners cannot distinguish between Britain and England _ If I had a pound for every person making this mistake over the past few weeks I'd not need to listen to their pish again!

If it's not an anti-British stance, what stance is it?

England is part of Britain and all 3 nations represent Britain regardless of having a separate identity in some sports (including football).  If this was a PTTGOYN I'd understand your point.  Surely you cannot be upset that Britain gets praise for the success of a British team?  
It's like those people who get upset when a Scot succeeds in sport and becomes British but in reverse.  
Ok, I'll make it simple - If England do well does it move Scotland, Wales and NI up the rankings?

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

3 nations?

The Yes bar in Glasgow is possibly the worst place on the planet.
I’m a massive Indy supporter but the fucking arsehiles of staff in here have me almost convinced me to vote No next time around. Bunch of c***s. I’ve been a little bit sick in my mouth a few times during the 11 minutes it’s taken me to drink my drink. Will not be back.