Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

I randomly got the urge to go Tesco about an hour ago and bought the ingredients for cheesecake, something I've never in my life made before. I'm currently making a white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake.

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

I randomly got the urge to go Tesco about an hour ago and bought the ingredients for cheesecake, something I've never in my life made before. I'm currently making a white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake.

^^^^^^^up the duff.

Didn't Kurt Cobain think Smells Like Teen Spirit was a bit shit? I seem to remember there being a time when he'd refuse to play it properly live, much like Faith No More with Epic, and he took the piss out of the chord structure on one of In Utero's songs IIRC. Slash of Guns 'n' Roses claims he was just dicking around playing something really daft one day when Axl Rose grabbed onto it and was determined they could make a good song out of it - Sweet Child O' Mine. Slash was still amazed anyone took it seriously, last I heard.

Music fans tend to get really precious about their favourite bands achieving success, with the most popular songs being resented for making everyone a 'fan' without having heard any of their other stuff. I've always just been happy that the creators are getting financial recompense after making something that's provided me with so much pleasure, even if that's not what they're getting the money for.

6 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Nursery Crimes.

Music mogul Jonathan King in court.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40405058

Presumably he's still claiming to be completely innocent. If he's lying, he's almost as odious as Savile.

He was disturbing enough before anyone knew he was fucking kids TBH.

Slash of Guns 'n' Roses claims he was just dicking around playing something really daft one day when Axl Rose grabbed onto it and was determined they could make a good song out of it - Sweet Child O' Mine. Slash was still amazed anyone took it seriously, last I heard.

Similarly in terms of dicking around, Slash mentions in his book that Paradise City started off with the lyrics "Take me down to the paradise city where the girls are fat but they've got big titties".

9 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Didn't Kurt Cobain think Smells Like Teen Spirit was a bit shit? I seem to remember there being a time when he'd refuse to play it properly live, much like Faith No More with Epic, and he took the piss out of the chord structure on one of In Utero's songs IIRC. Slash of Guns 'n' Roses claims he was just dicking around playing something really daft one day when Axl Rose grabbed onto it and was determined they could make a good song out of it - Sweet Child O' Mine. Slash was still amazed anyone took it seriously, last I heard.

Music fans tend to get really precious about their favourite bands achieving success, with the most popular songs being resented for making everyone a 'fan' without having heard any of their other stuff. I've always just been happy that the creators are getting financial recompense after making something that's provided me with so much pleasure, even if that's not what they're getting the money for.

I think there is a lot of hypocrisy on both sides with this sort of thing. Sometimes the bands need to be a bit fucking grateful that they have a song which made them commercially successful and allowed them the time/money/reputation to simply dick around being artistic from that day on, likewise some fans need to realise that just because you paid to listen/watch someone on stage, you don't fucking own them.

Radiohead wrote half of The Bends as a complaint about the success of Creep, and hated the song so much that they didn't play it live for the best part of a decade despite it being their best known song. That said, I think the fact they had to pay royalties to The Hollies was probably the main reason for their dislike of it.

Re the bolded bit - I quite like the Swedish band The Wanndies but cannot stand the album "Be a Girl" which included their only real hit "You and Me Song". Most of the rest of their stuff is much heavier where that one album is very light, poppy and largely shite dressed up as Indie Rock. I don't really like that song or album but do like the band and it annoyed me that the only song anyone could name was one I genuinely didn't like. I am however now 35, have barely listened to them for over a decade, no longer give a f**k about shite like that and content myself with enjoying what I enjoy and not giving two fucks about anyone elses opinion on the subject.

Edited by Ross.

29 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

At the end you can see him walking straight into a pub where he bought a pint.