Snow!

xbl

The problem here is it wont stop, its not particularly heavy, just relentless.

It's a waste of time even trying to clear the snow here.

I don't even think they have gritted the main roads around here at all,well the ones going down to Tesco on the Crieff Road don't look like they have been touched as there were a few trucks stuck in the snow down there the other day.

Edit: Just to add,that some buses around the Letham area in Perth are getting stuck on the untreated roads.

Edited by saints1884

Guest The Phoenix

Left home at 4am this morning to drive through to Edinburgh airport.

Was Ok when I left Larbert, but by time I reached Linlothgow,it turned into a blizzard.

I honestly havent seen snow come down as quick and as heavy as that ever before and driving was quite scary.

I couldn't get off motorway as slip roads were barely visible and looked even worse,so had no option but to keep going.

No evidence of the roads having been gritted and no gritters or snow ploughs seen on journey.

When I eventually reached the Edinburgh turn off,the road was berely drivable.

Now at airport,flight cancelled and airport closed until noon at the earliest.

Still dumping it down,so having a few coffees until roads home are cleared

:o

Gran Canaria??

I got up at 4:00 a.m. and fortunately checked Edinburgh Airport Website.

At that time it said Airport Closed expected to re-open at 10:00 a.m.

Twenty minutes later it said expected to re-open at 12:00 p.m

Went back to bed.

Woke up at 8:00 to discover airport closed until 6:00 p.m.

Ryanair Website advises "Flight Cancelled".

A tad disappointing.

Safe journey home mate.

It's a waste of time even trying to clear the snow here.

I don't even think they have gritted the main roads around here at all,well the ones going down to Tesco on the Crieff Road don't look like they have been touched as there were a few trucks stuck in the snow down there the other day.

Edit: Just to add,that some buses around the Letham area in Perth are getting stuck on the untreated roads.

TBH its the same here, I gave up a couple of days ago, the little partition wall I have in my garden has just about disappeared, and thats almost a foot high and I had cleared it the other day. :(

Just glad I aint having to go anywhere on Christmas

On another note I believe that all Dundee buses are cancelled.

Whit, tbh you should get the date changed. I know mine wont be, but it looks like the computer facilities are open today, now just need to get through a foot of snow and get a bus.:(

Could at least try, or apply for an extension if you don't think you'll get it done? It's kind of exceptional circumstances, so they might be sympathetic. :P

I'm quite glad we have the option of getting the deadline changed if need be. We had all 3 classes to be finished on the 6th, but managed to get our Web Development class deadline put back a week, as my tutor thought it was too much work to be doing to hand in on the same day, so I think I might be able to get it shifted from Monday to the Friday anyway, just to make up for the days we missed. Fingers crossed. :D

Could at least try, or apply for an extension if you don't think you'll get it done? It's kind of exceptional circumstances, so they might be sympathetic. :P

I'm quite glad we have the option of getting the deadline changed if need be. We had all 3 classes to be finished on the 6th, but managed to get our Web Development class deadline put back a week, as my tutor thought it was too much work to be doing to hand in on the same day, so I think I might be able to get it shifted from Monday to the Friday anyway, just to make up for the days we missed. Fingers crossed. :D

The thing is the uni staff arent able to get into the place, so they cant process the stuff and wont know when it was handed in, since it will just pile up.

And actually i should get it done today if I go in, its just a case of finding a computer with teh correct software, since only certain ones have CAD, well I hope to reort back later today with better news.

TBH its the same here, I gave up a couple of days ago, the little partition wall I have in my garden has just about disappeared, and thats almost a foot high and I had cleared it the other day. :(

Just glad I aint having to go anywhere on Christmas

The plants and the hedge and all the plants in our front garden are covered in snow,the snow in the back garden is right up to the top of the fence. The poor cat keeps sinking into the snow. :(

The plants and the hedge and all the plants in our front garden are covered in snow,the snow in the back garden is right up to the top of the fence. The poor cat keeps sinking into the snow. :(

:lol: sorry that is quite funny really, poor cat.

The news is the worst though, watching a weather lady talking about watching the 10cm of snow around London, as it could make travelling tricky. FFS we have 4 times that amount and they are just brushing over it, its a bit of a joke really.

ohmy.gif

Gran Canaria??

I got up at 4:00 a.m. and fortunately checked Edinburgh Airport Website.

At that time it said Airport Closed expected to re-open at 10:00 a.m.

Twenty minutes later it said expected to re-open at 12:00 p.m

Went back to bed.

Woke up at 8:00 to discover airport closed until 6:00 p.m.

Ryanair Website advises "Flight Cancelled".

A tad disappointing.

Safe journey home mate.

Thankfully not Phoenix,I was meant to be flying down to Southampton for a couple of days meetings.

When I checked the website at 3.30am,it was open and obviously by the time I got through things had deteriorated quite quickly.

As you say,airport now closed until 18.00 at the earliest.

I feel really sorry for all the people who were there who have been trying to get home for the past few days and others who were due to fly out on holiday.

Some of the airlines(especially these w****r at Flybe) are being quite crafty and instead of cancelling the flights,are saying next update at xx o'clock.

By doing this,theyre not officially cancelling the flight even although the airport is closed and if you then speak to them as I did,they're asking if you are cancelling your flight,which in turn means a fight for any refund or compensation if at all.

however,me and another gy cottoned on to their wee ploy quite quickly and withing a few minutes had managed to muster about another 20 or so customers to pressure them into officially announcing the flight was cancelled.

Not sitting nice and cosy in my Grangemouth office

I set my alarm for 7.30 as usual and stuck the radio on when it went off. I heard "no buses" but it didn't quite register fully. Went back to sleep, woke up a few minutes ago and had a look out the window.

Anything that had been cleared is now totally covered again and anything that wasn't now has over a foot of snow on it.

At what point does the Government step in and say "Ok all bets are off - non essential traffic off the roads, key workers only, so polis, fire, ambulance staff, food supplies, fuel supplies, salt and grit, food shop workers, posties, bank workers and the rest of you just stay at home and get out with your shovels and clear the roads" like the matrushkas in Moscow?

Car snowed in, all buses off. Phoned my gaffer to tell him i couldn't come in but he said if i can't make it to PRI then i'm meant to go to Ninewells. Dinna fuckin think so somehow - Dundee isna Perth - just because i live in Dundee doesna mean Ninewells is on my doorstep, it's 3 fuckin miles away. If it's too dangerous for the posties to be out then i'll no be walking 3 miles fuckin anywhere. Back to bed.

:D

At what point does the Government step in and say "Ok all bets are off - non essential traffic off the roads, key workers only, so polis, fire, ambulance staff, food supplies, fuel supplies, salt and grit, food shop workers, posties, bank workers and the rest of you just stay at home and get out with your shovels and clear the roads" like the matrushkas in Moscow?

Not for a long time yet. Its only been a few days of snow, and it will clear up next week. There is no need for drastic action like that!

Pelting it down here in Rutherglen, again. Been a couple of inches overnight and it's really coming down hard just now.

God bless broadband and a VPN connection, means I don't need to venture out and can keep on top of my work.

I wish it would piss off though.

Worse today than yesterday. And no ploughs or gritters. TERRIBLE.

Indeed it is. Yesterday was fine.

I tried to get a bus through to Edinburgh but Stagecoach had cancelled all services and the Forth Bridge was shut. Cars were sliding about on quite a few roads as there was 3 inch of fresh snow on them. I'm now 'working from home'. Thank f**k I'm not self-employed.