Snow!

xbl

If someone could guarantee me that we're going to have this kind of winter every year, say, then I'd go out and buy a set of winter tyres tomorrow.

What would more likely happen is that I'd go out and buy them and we wouldn't see anything like this for ten years.

Winter Tyres however aren't simply for snow- they are for cold below 7c and give better grip in that too.

In any case I went and bought All-Season tyres which have proved themselves to be much better in the snow than before, fairly decent choice.

Could the idiots who went out driving in such conditions not have thought about taking these basic steps rather than rely on someone elso to do it for them? I certainly would have.

Winter Tyres however aren't simply for snow- they are for cold below 7c and give better grip in that too.

In any case I went and bought All-Season tyres which have proved themselves to be much better in the snow than before, fairly decent choice.

That is a sensible and forward thinking decision. I had to go to pick a friend up from the airport on Tuesday after all the public transport was cancelled. Knowing that the roads were icy and slow, and that I could be delayed (as it happens, the M9 was okay), I took a drink, my phone, warm clothes, a torch, some food, and made sure my car had plenty of fuel and screenwash. You know, just in case. I didn't need any of it, but I took it, just in case the worst happened. I've been arguing on this thread that people need to take personal responsibility for themselves, and this demand for sackings is embarrassing. Weird how some of it is coming from people who would ordinarily champion the individual over the state, and who complain about state interference.

14+ hours on m80 on a bus with no heating then having to walk 7 miles from muirhead to cumbernauld at 5am is one of the worst experiences of my life.

I'm suppose to be going to London tonight on a Megabus. Don't really fancy my chance of that it has to be said

Yeah one of our plastic gutters on teh conservatory has completerly buckled, I had to trya nd remove solid blocks of ice from the one on teh house, absolute nighmare, its at leasy 4 inches thick, a bloody axe would go through it, trust me I tried it. :huh:

I've been arguing on this thread that people need to take personal responsibility for themselves, and this demand for sackings is embarrassing. Weird how some of it is coming from people who would ordinarily champion the individual over the state, and who complain about state interference.

Suggesting that government ministers are held accountable for their responsibilities isn't contradictory to 'championing the individual over the state' or 'complaining about state interference'. Of course, people should be adequately prepared for making a journey in bad weather but that doesn't change the fact that the Transport Minister (who has responsibility for clearing motorways) didn't respond well enough and after the fact has consistently tried to pin the blame on the Met Office, despite the fact that the MO released a forecast predicting heavy rush-hour snow the previous night.

The only embarrassing thing on this thread is your petty jibes at posters who disagree with you and your slavish obsequiousness with regards any criticism of the SNP or the Scottish Government. If Stewart Stevenson had stood up in Parliament and said that he was organising a slaying of the first born in order to appease the weather gods you'd probably be on here saying it was absolutely the right thing to do.

Apparently,its warm enough in Stirling to do this

summer_%20barbecue_02.jpg

Thats the view from my office window!

Dear Father Jack,

where the feck are the trains,

yours

The People of Scotland

Our pipes are frozen for the second day in a row.

We stay above a closed-down cafe that was bought at the start of the year to turn into a hot-food takeaway. The owners have been seen about four times since January. I reckon it's a front for something else.

Anyway, they probably haven't got their heating on, so the pipes coming up through the cafe will have frozen, so we have no running water.

Thankfully we still have heating, as our boiler just heats up the still water in the radiators, but it's a pain in the arse. We can't even flush the toilet!

Just Googled this!

On a serious note,take care everyone

Yes, people can be killed by falling icicles.

<BR style="CLEAR: both">"Thawing Moscow fights killer icicles"

Moscow is slowly emerging from its heaviest snowfall in almost 40 years, but as temperatures rise, people are faced with a new hazard - falling icicles. Three people have been killed this winter and city authorities say they are doing all they can to prevent any further tragedies.

The city's pavements have turned into a freezing obstacle course of ice and melting water. Many are now cordoned off by red and white tape and signs admonishing pedestrians to beware of falling icicles. It is a warning Muscovites take very seriously.

The icy stalactites can reach several metres in length and many begin their descent to earth from buildings a dozen or more stories high. Across the capital, city authorities report 74 people have been unfortunate enough to be struck by plummeting ice this winter. The latest person to die, an 18-year-old conscript, was killed this week by a falling shard at his military base.

The mayor's office says it is doing everything possible to keep the situation in control. Amateur mountaineers are employed to climb Moscow's roofs and knock the icicles safely to the ground. A small army of 25,000 is currently on the city's books, keeping the streets clear of snow.

Moscow's annual cold war has been joined again in earnest and once more is not without its victims.

We stay above a closed-down cafe that was bought at the start of the year to turn into a hot-food takeaway. The owners have been seen about four times since January. I reckon it's a front for something else.

Anyway, they probably haven't got their heating on, so the pipes coming up through the cafe will have frozen, so we have no running water.

Thankfully we still have heating, as our boiler just heats up the still water in the radiators, but it's a pain in the arse. We can't even flush the toilet!

Just wait until tomorrow when the cafe is flooded. Tell the stupid c**t to get their heating on next time. And make sure you have a good chuckle when the owner's greeting.

You could shite on newspaper etc and throw it out the window.