Snow!

xbl

Well, that drive home was certainly 'interesting'.

Probably the worst conditions I have ever driven in. The ice was an inch or so thick in places and certain areas had melted, so not only was it extremely slippery, it was bumpy as hell too. Can't get the car into the driveway so it's parked in deep snow on the street. No chance of it moving until the snow melts.

Decided to get into this panic buying craze that seems to be prevalent. I bought beer. Lots of beer.

Guy from my work lives in Hamilton as well. He had to get off the train at Motherwell as it would go no further, so had to walk 6 miles from 'Well to Hamilton.

My first Christmas card. From the couple next door. Neighbourly spirit or sick fucking joke? I'm going to brain the well-meaning bastards.

post-7814-12917396089176_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nizzy

Denny , dunipace and bonnybridge are a nightmare just now. I hoofed it to bbridge to get wean only for the ex to see sense and decide not too risk going to work. Stuck here for the night now as i won't allow my dad to even attempt to drive over and get me. Goodnight champions league football and goodnight pub quiz :(

No journeys west of Edinburgh today,but i did laugh when our Plymouth office wanted me to pick up consignment in deepest rural Fife and get is south. They do not have the severe weather that we do...

Denny , dunipace and bonnybridge are a nightmare just now. I hoofed it to bbridge to get wean only for the ex to see sense and decide not too risk going to work. Stuck here for the night now as i won't allow my dad to even attempt to drive over and get me. Goodnight champions league football and goodnight pub quiz sad.gif

hello hole wink.gif

It is now, but it wasn't when the snow started falling on Monday morning (and wasn't until some time after it stopped). The gritters should have been running constantly whilst the snow was falling to prevent a base layer forming and freezing as it did

I'd suspect it was, as I said the perfect storm of just loads of unfortunate times and events. With that level of snow, congestion, rush hour traffic it was just impossible to stop a base layer forming such was the rate it was falling and number of roads to cover. They can't plough until it is over an inch deep anyway.

If they were running constantly and they may have been, they'd just have jammed in rush-hour traffic and for trunk roads in Glasgow have to go back to Renfrew and Uddingston to reload periodically. Not the quickest procedure if you have to go from EK to Raith and M74 to Uddingston then back to EK at 8am.

I suspect that the roads were gritted in the morning, the grit was diluted/made more ineffective by rain/sleet in the morning, the snow fall was sudden, very heavy and right at the middle to end of rush hour. The salt didn't make much of a dent in this snow and traffic was going to slowly to chew it up well. By the time the gritters had been turned around and sent out they got stuck in the congestion and queues of ordinary rush hour which was then compounded by those who got stuck on hills and ice which saw absolute gridlock.

I don't buy the SNPs line of 'weather not expected or forecast' as the BBC were forecasting it and they get regular updates 24/7 from the Met Office.

Edited by flyingscot

I now have no water (pipes frozen) so haven't been able to have shower. Our roof is leaking. My street is impassable. My car is parked half a mile away in deep snow so won't be moving until it thaws. My wife's car is in Livingston, having been abandoned at her work. My daughter is in Larbert with grandparents, and we can't get through to see her (not sure bringing her here is a good idea anyway). My guttering has broken. My wife's work (teacher for West Lothian Council) still haven't announced whether they are expecting her in tomorrow, not that there's any realistic way of her getting there.

And I'm knackered, having slept 4 hours in the last 36 and not been able to take medication, which means I have a splitting headache.

I think I may skip our Xmas night out in Glasgow on Friday - not exactly feeling in the festive spirit.

I now have no water (pipes frozen) so haven't been able to have shower. Our roof is leaking. My street is impassable. My car is parked half a mile away in deep snow so won't be moving until it thaws. My wife's car is in Livingston, having been abandoned at her work. My daughter is in Larbert with grandparents, and we can't get through to see her (not sure bringing her here is a good idea anyway). My guttering has broken. My wife's work (teacher for West Lothian Council) still haven't announced whether they are expecting her in tomorrow, not that there's any realistic way of her getting there.

And I'm knackered, having slept 4 hours in the last 36 and not been able to take medication, which means I have a splitting headache.

I think I may skip our Xmas night out in Glasgow on Friday - not exactly feeling in the festive spirit.

Tough day? Do you wanna talk about it?

But apart from that.....

First snowfall of the year that I've noticed, and even though its just a little sprinkle, I heart snow! :D

Pah. I love snow. I love walking in snow, I love making snowballs, and as far as I'm concerned, you're never too old to make a snowman. :D

Its eased off again, but still, snow! Even if it was just for a few minutes.

Up yours xbl! :P

Why oh why would anyone cycle in the snow :huh:

Stupid fuckers.

I was wondering that myself. Saw a few out and about earlier on, it must be pretty difficult. When I was out I walked on the road for a bit as it looked less slipperly than the pavement, but was surprised to find it wasn't.

Panic buying is the in thing in Tollcross it seems. Spent the best part of 30 minutes walking from shop to shop for milk, only to find that nowhere had any. Managed to catch a delivery coming in with 8 big jugs (2 litre ones) in the van. I think they were all gone within a minute, madness!

I was wondering that myself. Saw a few out and about earlier on, it must be pretty difficult. When I was out I walked on the road for a bit as it looked less slipperly than the pavement, but was surprised to find it wasn't.

Panic buying is the in thing in Tollcross it seems. Spent the best part of 30 minutes walking from shop to shop for milk, only to find that nowhere had any. Managed to catch a delivery coming in with 8 big jugs (2 litre ones) in the van. I think they were all gone within a minute, madness!

I went to the shop earlier to buy bread for my sandwiches and mile for tea (It wasn't just a MUST PANIC BUY BASIC ITEMS!!!! as some seem to do) and they had sold out of both.