BBC website forecast light snow in Falkirk last night,It was very very heavy snow.

ah, that'll be the transport sec.'s next deflection, "the wrong kind of snow" snow is snow, it melts and then turns to ice, its a hazard and should have been dealt with.

Hamilton seemed to be one of the worst affected areas, it sounded like a bit of a warzone! My girlfriend couldn't get back from her work so abandoned her car and is staying at her mums for the night and is dreading going back to dig her car out tomorrow as the car park was carnage. I know someone who was stuck in their car during the gridlock on the M74 for 13 hours and has only just got home.

Seeing some mental stories on the girlfriends facebook about people who abandoned their cars and walked distances such as Wishaw to Larkhall and Hamilton to EK, crazy stuff!

Edited by cityfan

ah, that'll be the transport sec.'s next deflection, "the wrong kind of snow" snow is snow, it melts and then turns to ice, its a hazard and should have been dealt with.

How would you have dealt with today snow?

Some lassies from my work got put up in a hotel, they refused to let anyone go home claiming it was "too dangerous" but yet you were expected to come in:rolleyes:

Took me about 2 hours to skate home tonight from near the SECC to Hampden, whilst I understand why the roads haven't been done, there is no excuse for the pavements to not have been gritted, even in the city centre, the ice was a good few inches thick, I skited numerous times and decked it in a spectacular two legs up in the air simultaneous fashion just outside the Carling Academy.

Some guys said it rained overnight and grit could potentially be washed away. No idea about the accuracy of that.

A couple of people I spoke to have indicated this is the issue. Gritting was done this morning at prior to 6am and rush hour dealing with ice and potential for snow/freezing rain. Unfortunately when I left the house at 7.30 it was teeming it down with rain/sleet and that will have washed away/diluted any salt.

They sent the gritters back out but they got clogged in rush hour traffic and the snow then fell at 9am. Before any roads guys would have a chance to recover, traffic was slowed down, people having bumps and they couldn't get the gritters back to depots to be re-filled and properly located. They roped in private companies to help- Radio Scotland said Silverburn were clearing M77 J2 and Pollok area as they were right area, right time if you will.

FWIW I doubt anyone could have dealt with that today. It was disgraceful but if I look at it now, it was a perfect storm of weather conditions, timing and accidents/stuck vehicles. When I was moving around the roads were passable, it was just a few folk stuck out of hundreds that caused the congestion. I was stuck for 2 hours in Crooftfoot with a single stuck bus in the way holding up hundreds. They sent a gritter apparently but they got stuck in traffic. I passed 7 gritters in total and 5 of them were stuck in traffic. I've also read that 'several' gritters were stuck on the M8 trying to clear Harthill but a lorry jackknifed and blocked traffic before they got there.

My cousin in Montreal states that they are largely the same when such heavy snow fall comes at peak hours, it is chaos- this clip shows that.

Once you live there the 'they can deal with it' is a bit of a myth- more used to it and have more stuff but at times.....

My dads just walked in the door. Been out working since 6. Since he left the house he drove from Cumbernauld to Blantyre, which was fine at that time in the morning. Then from Blantyre to Cumbernauld to airdrie. Then got told to take the bus back to the garage so went on to the motorway at Coatbridge around 10.30am and it took him until 10.30pm to get to the strathclyde park roundabout. Then he left the garage at about 12 and is jut home. Fucking mental like!

at least he's home - I'm still on the M73, been sitting in my car for 13 hours now. great fun.

UPDATE - WE'RE MOVING!!!!

BBC just said that every motorway in central scotland is fecked.

And we've stopped again.

14 hours, 20 miles. another 20 miles to go...

Radio talking to a couple who have been on the M73 for 17 hours - they got married yesterday morning in Gretna and were heading to Loch Ness.

Radio talking to a couple who have been on the M73 for 17 hours - they got married yesterday morning in Gretna and were heading to Loch Ness.

Aye, so enough of yer fucking moaning Disco Duck! :P

can't do smilies on my phone, and even then I'm not sure if there's one that properly says "f**k you"

*sigh* I start work in 3 hours

One of my mates dads abandoned ship at Lanark and walked home to Chapelhall in Airdrie, the S-bend and Chapelhall also looked torture with lots of folk abandoning their cars.

can't do smilies on my phone, and even then I'm not sure if there's one that properly says "f**k you"

*sigh* I start work in 3 hours

You're not seriously thinking of going to work are you?

I feel for you mate, I got caught up in it yesterday in the city centre, your story makes me feel a bit shit at moaning about being stuck for three hours. Hope it isn't too long before you are moving.

Really feel for the folk stuck out there. Radio Scotland yesterday were talking on the phone to folk in cars - an old bloke with two elderly ladies in the car (M8, not even halfway to Edinburgh), a heavily pregnant woman stuck on the A737 and Billy Bragg heading to his own likely-to-be-cancelled gig. Not seeing this coming means that folk will be ill-prepared in their cars, unless they've had the forsight to pack extra clothes, food and blankets. And eventually there would be the issue of getting out for a slash (even more so for the pregnant woman).

Edited by AyrshireTon

Took me 7 hours to get from Wishaw to Motherwell before I eventually gave up and stayed at a mates house. If I had continued onto the M74/3, A80 and then Cumbernauld I reckon I'd still be out there somewhere! Currently I'm wondering whether to try and get back to Wishaw General for todays shift, or whether the traffic won't have improved much...

Started off from SQ to Glasgow at 7am this morning, got to outside our office at 3pm as my boss sent an E Mail advising he was pissing off and closing for the day!!

Only reason I was going in was for my year end appraisal.

Have booked into Travelhovel and company have agreed to pick up the bill. biggrin.gif

To the young couple in room 601 of the Travelodge, Glasgow Central - thanks very much for making me listen to your night of high passion last night, just what I needed after sitting in the car for 8 hours or so.

TBH, it did sound like you made a good job of it sir...wink.gif

Took me 7 hours to get from Wishaw to Motherwell before I eventually gave up and stayed at a mates house. If I had continued onto the M74/3, A80 and then Cumbernauld I reckon I'd still be out there somewhere! Currently I'm wondering whether to try and get back to Wishaw General for todays shift, or whether the traffic won't have improved much...

There's been v little traffic southbound, but the roads are hellish