Snow!

xbl

News just said It's too cold for grit to take effect. WTF?

Also the road outside my flat had been getting gritted but that snow fall yesterday was mental and the snow lay on top of the grit. Once the snow had stopped though it soon turned to slush. I would say it was exceptional weather where unless you had a plough on every road we were pretty much fucked.

I left Perth for Edinburgh at 7 yesterday and got there at half 9. My girlfriend was saying that one of the girls at her works husband left about 15 minutes later than me, and was still stuck in the traffic when I got back to Perth at half 1. Guess I timed it perfectly.

News just said It's too cold for grit to take effect. WTF?

Also the road outside my flat had been getting gritted but that snow fall yesterday was mental and the snow lay on top of the grit. Once the snow had stopped though it soon turned to slush. I would say it was exceptional weather where unless you had a plough on every road we were pretty much fucked.

The salt freezes at about -8c. Once we get below that then it's just ice everywhere.

The website was saying "light snow" for Monday. The same website is currently telling me that it's -8 here today - Bollocks it is!

I have to disagree. I work in Grangemouth so was watching that page with interest. It had a mixture of light and heavy snow between 3am and noon on Monday morning.

The website was saying "light snow" for Monday. The same website is currently telling me that it's -8 here today - Bollocks it is!

The 24 hour page was showing "Heavy Snow" at 9am and noon.

God knows how they decide what description best fits their daily description, but, they accurately forecast heavy snow in their more detailed predictions.

I win. :P

Just checked the Traffic Scotland webcams and saw this. Some nick of the M80 / A80.

post-301-12917134608638_thumb.png

That's the best that road has looked since Sunday. I know 3 people that spent 12 hours stuck at this roundabout. One of my work mates left Glasgow city centre on a bus at half 1 yesterday. Got back to his house at just after 6 this morning. That was walking from Crowwood to Seafar in Cumbernauld.

The negative is having to put up with the retards that walk on the road to avoid the worst of the snow, but don't bother to move over when a car comes along. Still, I take some consolation that some of them will be mown down when they cause a driver taking evasive action to skid.

I had that yesterday. He wasn't moving to the side, and I couldn't stop or I wouldn't go again or swerve out the tracks, and he turned round and shouted "Where the f**k am I meant to go?"

Well I sure as hell wasn't trying to mount the pavement!!!

Seeing some mental stories on the girlfriends facebook about people who abandoned their cars and walked distances such as Wishaw to Larkhall and Hamilton to EK, crazy stuff!

What about Hamilton to Hampden Park then a short lift in a car before walking the final two miles ago. About 12 miles walked all in. Took me 4 hrs.

I had to go home yesterday to undertake some important excel spreadsheet work (nudge nudge wink wink, taps nose) :lol:

Just been watching the traffic from my window. I wouldn't bother with the car. Smallest incline and anything bar 4wd are spinning the wheels. I'd like to know by what percentage your chances of having an accident are in this.

Similarly, I want to go from Falkirk to Stirling. Recommended or not?

Dont know if this is any help but Larbert to Stirling via Plean is fine. If I can get through anyone can.

How would you have dealt with today snow?

well first of all, you plough. then you grit. if possible you do the two at once.

then you do it again.

and again.

and again.

I would have had all of my people in rotation out from 4am ploughing/gritting and I would have continued it until end of the rush hour say 8pm.

now, yes it is costly. yes it is labour intensive, but tell me it wouldn't have worked -the grit would work since its not too cold, and plenty of cars creates the famously previously discussed 'churn'.

instead we have people abandoned on ice rink car park wastelands with the gritter stuck behind the lines of traffic.

lack of forethought. lack of planning, lack of strategy, lack of information, lack of leadership. this transport sec. has proven himself unfit for office. and will I anticipate be relieved in the forthcoming reshuffle.

faced with the nightmare the transport sec. created however, I don't think we can say lack of effort of the coalface personnel.

Having a whizz through some peoples facebook's this morning and I came across a lot of posts about peoples parents still being nowhere to be seen at 3am :o And cause some mobile phone networks are goosed at the mo they can't even get in contact. Also been a couple of people saying their brothers had to sleep in their work van overnight.

My Mum managed to get home from work okay last night much to my astonishment. I'm guessing the roads there must've been fine (she works at Stobhill Hospital) as she was only about 10 mins later getting home than she usually is on a good day.

Just glad I didn't make the effort yesterday as god knows where I'd of ended up. Finally the college had a little bit of common sense and decided to close for today.

Having a whizz through some peoples facebook's this morning and I came across a lot of posts about peoples parents still being nowhere to be seen at 3am :o And cause some mobile phone networks are goosed at the mo they can't even get in contact. Also been a couple of people saying their brothers had to sleep in their work van overnight.

My Mum managed to get home from work okay last night much to my astonishment. I'm guessing the roads there must've been fine (she works at Stobhill Hospital) as she was only about 10 mins later getting home than she usually is on a good day.

Just glad I didn't make the effort yesterday as god knows where I'd of ended up. Finally the college had a little bit of common sense and decided to close for today.

Glasgow Met hasn't closed at all since the snow started. Thankfully my tutors have seen sense and cancelled today's lessons.