Snow!

xbl

On Radio Scotland there all trains from Glasgow Central except ones to Ayrshire are now off and all motorways around Lanarkshire have ground to a halt.

Hmm.. Two trains have went past mine (all going towards the depot though), but they seem to be coming two minutes earlier than the timetable suggests. You could be right.

Though, if they were on an hour ago, why aren't they now? The snow's pretty much stopped.

The roads still look mental though. There are a fair few buses stuck on Dumbarton Road at Scotstoun. Some are having to change their routes because of the supposed pile-up.

Edit- I have been up for five hours, and I have yet to see a gritter.

Edited by Smurph

Hmm my dear parents are uptown at the moment, having both got buses in to work, I wish them luck getting home.

Its just the fact none of us were really expecting this to hit us again, its not stopped snowing for the last 4 or 5 hours here and it not like its a flurry, its practically a white fog out there its that thick.

Now any of you that know Edinburgh well, I am just off Gamekeepers Road, thats been cleared and gritted slightly, now I am just of it, but my street is fucking murder, its really bad, no sign of any help and the number of cars I have ssen driving down it in the last week, can be no more that 10 or 15, mostly all of them 4WD estates and off roaders, but even they are only going about5 mph. You can always tell how tentative teh people in the neighbourhood are when the pavements arent even compacted like uptown, its practically untouched snow for 7 days. I suppose it doesnt help when a lot of people where I am are either elderly of have kids.

I only hope it does clear, I need to get presents for in less than a week.:( And my only means of gettting to any shops is a bus. Plus its getting on my wick.

Sorry rant over.

Hmm my dear parents are uptown at the moment, having both got buses in to work, I wish them luck getting home.

Its just the fact none of us were really expecting this to hit us again, its not stopped snowing for the last 4 or 5 hours here and it not like its a flurry, its practically a white fog out there its that thick.

Now any of you that know Edinburgh well, I am just off Gamekeepers Road, thats been cleared and gritted slightly, now I am just of it, but my street is fucking murder, its really bad, no sign of any help and the number of cars I have ssen driving down it in the last week, can be no more that 10 or 15, mostly all of them 4WD estates and off roaders, but even they are only going about5 mph. You can always tell how tentative teh people in the neighbourhood are when the pavements arent even compacted like uptown, its practically untouched snow for 7 days. I suppose it doesnt help when a lot of people where I am are either elderly of have kids.

I only hope it does clear, I need to get presents for in less than a week.:( And my only means of gettting to any shops is a bus. Plus its getting on my wick.

Sorry rant over.

I'm in the same boat, moved my car onto the main road yesterday after three hours of digging.

After moving it I know someone will nick my nicely dug out space.

Side roads and estates are getting left - I can't see them getting cleared at all.

After no snow over the weekend, and a bit of a thaw yesterday, which of course resulted in a skating rink this morning, it is now snowing again, very steadily since 12.30ish, and there is quite an accumulation, the front path, which was clear, is now covered.

Just had a phone call to say foster son's school will be closing early, whether the bus makes it up the hill is debatable.

Daughter's bus was cancelled this morning due to ice, which is probably just as well as I doubt if her bus could have made it up the hill.

No sign of the bins being emptied, either!!

After no snow over the weekend, and a bit of a thaw yesterday, which of course resulted in a skating rink this morning, it is now snowing again, very steadily since 12.30ish, and there is quite an accumulation, the front path, which was clear, is now covered.

Just had a phone call to say foster son's school will be closing early, whether the bus makes it up the hill is debatable.

Daughter's bus was cancelled this morning due to ice, which is probably just as well as I doubt if her bus could have made it up the hill.

No sign of the bins being emptied, either!!

it's a farce

The thing is the bins cant be emptied if there is a risk of getting stuck, thus resulting in more diversions, even less trucks, etc

The thing about the bins was tongue in cheek - and if the snow hadn't started, I'm quite sure they would have been emptied by now, icy roads or no icy roads.

Important info for anyone in edinburgh and surrounding areas, lothian buses have withdrawn ALL services to allow them to review the current situation. My wife is pretty much stranded at work at meadowbank, our flatmate works at sainsburys at blackhall, so he'l be stranded as well, poor bugger.

I'm starting to get slightly concerned now. My wife is in Ballymena with her youngest daughter + 4 month old grandchild, and she was on her way home 45 minutes ago. No sign of her yet, and if the car can't make it up the brae, I don't know how I'll get my wife into the house as she needs a stick to get about. Snow still coming down steadily.

Important info for anyone in edinburgh and surrounding areas, lothian buses have withdrawn ALL services to allow them to review the current situation. My wife is pretty much stranded at work at meadowbank, our flatmate works at sainsburys at blackhall, so he'l be stranded as well, poor bugger.

I was there the other day and I will say that it is rather bad, but I also know people that work there and thye didnt even bother going in and they could feasably walk it in half an hour, but frankly I dont blame them.