Snow!

xbl

There's been some suprise light sleet and snow here, won't be any more until maybe tomorrow evening. Most will see snow apart from the West coast :( Saturday, but we'll get all of it Sunday. 8)

I'm tempted to put money on a white Christmas in Glasgow and Edinburgh, as at the moment the mild air doesn't look like it'll get north of the border for quite some time.

Edited by vikingTON

As a Scot, I believe that if it does snow you're now legally and morally bound to strut about declaring "ye call this fucking snow?".
I've been practicing all year.

"Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful, and since we've no place to go, do you pansies call this snow?" :D

And I'm sure HSF will be more than happy to piss over both of your parades.

And I'm sure HSF will be more than happy to piss over both of your parades.

I hear Glasgow might get a centimetre of snow. Should you not be out buying emergency supplies and preparing for disaster? Surely its in your blood to do such a thing!

Swedish snow is softy snow. What Scottish snow lacks in quantity, it more than makes up for in god awful biting wind alliance and sleet support groups. :angry:

Try: "You call this a blizzard? It doesn't even hurt your face!" And anyway, everyone knows that real manly snow falls sideways, not in that poncy downwards direction.

I hear Glasgow might get a centimetre of snow. Should you not be out buying emergency supplies and preparing for disaster? Surely its in your blood to do such a thing!

You're silly! :lol:

If English folk were so preoccupied with emergency supplies and preparation, they wouldn't get the panic they do every time they get a bit of snow because they'd actually have enough salt and grit to cope with it.

Try: "You call this a blizzard? It doesn't even hurt your face!" And anyway, everyone knows that real manly snow falls sideways, not in that poncy downwards direction.

:D

Banter!

A broken bottle. :angry:

With nails in it. :angry:

You're silly! :lol:

If English folk were so preoccupied with emergency supplies and preparation, they wouldn't get the panic they do every time they get a bit of snow because they'd actually have enough salt and grit to cope with it.

This is true. Its really the difference between the Scottish and English psyche. In England, there are folks year round, laughing heartily, enjoying themselves, "Snow? No fear! Hahahaha". "Now, lets enjoy ourselves and take life one step at a time, look at that sunshine!"

Fast forward a few months, the skies cloud over, and..."jesus! Whats that white stuff in the sky??". Cue the country grinding to a halt, 82 car pile ups, vital services disrupted, and thats all before the snow actually starts.

Meanwhile in Scotland, there are people squinting up in the summer sky, "It'll never last, we'll pay for this!". Winter holds no fear for us, our soul is by default darker than the winter gloom. 8)

With nails in it. :angry:

This is true. Its really the difference between the Scottish and English psyche. In England, there are folks year round, laughing heartily, enjoying themselves, "Snow? No fear! Hahahaha". "Now, lets enjoy ourselves and take life one step at a time, look at that sunshine!"

Fast forward a few months, the skies cloud over, and..."jesus! Whats that white stuff in the sky??". Cue the country grinding to a halt, 82 car pile ups, vital services disrupted, and thats all before the snow actually starts.

Meanwhile in Scotland, there are people squinting up in the summer sky, "It'll never last, we'll pay for this!". Winter holds no fear for us, our soul is by default darker than the winter gloom. 8)

Aye, but in the summer, you get to turn that dazzling shade of white, which must make a nice change from that blue tinge you have about you. Apart from the gingers, obviously. The sizzling noise they make puts me right off my ice cream.

Aye, but in the summer, you get to turn that dazzling shade of white, which must make a nice change from that blue tinge you have about you. Apart from the gingers, obviously. The sizzling noise they make puts me right off my ice cream.

Its no laughing matter, I start to get sunburnt at Edinburgh airport! :(

Its no laughing matter, I start to get sunburnt at Edinburgh airport! :(

Funnily enough, I now burn when I leave Scotland! I think I should have been born here. I hate the heat and love the cold. I'm always getting the "Oh, you moved there for the weather then? Hyuk, hyuk, chortle, aren't I fucking funny?" comments. I reply "well, yeah".

Funnily enough, I now burn when I leave Scotland! I think I should have been born here. I hate the heat and love the cold. I'm always getting the "Oh, you moved there for the weather then? Hyuk, hyuk, chortle, aren't I fucking funny?" comments. I reply "well, yeah".

You're one of us now! One of us! One of us! :D

Presumably, when you go back down to England, you take a stash of Royal Bank of Scotland notes, mutter about the temperature, and look on with scorn at their soft, decadent lifestyles? Oh, and while you are perfectly happy to make friends with foreigners, you regard other Englishers with deep suspicion?

Or have I just exposed myself as a horrible racist?

Today was the first day I've ever driven in the snow.

Well, f**k me, that was difficult. I don't know if it was because it was a massive hail-storm immediately before a thick blanket of snow, and I was on roads that hadn't been driven on by anyone else yet, but the car was just not playing games at all. I was at a t-junction, turning right, and as I pulled out the car started to go the way I wanted it and then the back end just drifted off and the car slid into the kerb.

Then I had to go down a hill towards a roundabout, again going right, and try to navigate it despite the slope. A double-decker bus stopped to watch my Bambi routine as the car slid this way and that as I battled with the wheel.

I tried low revs, I tried high revs, I tried steering gently and (briefly) steering quite violently. The car was just doing whatever it wanted.

I also kicked off a mudflap clearing the slush when I got back to the house :ph34r: