Snow!

xbl

Very heavy frost - will give a Sperrins' update later after my trip into town.

ETA: Didn't go into town, but had a taxi run to Pomeroy, and I can report that there is snow on the Sperrins.

Edited by Jacksgranda

1 hour ago, thistledo said:

It's -8 the now just on the south east of Glasgow, I don't remember it being this cold for this long in December in a very long time. 

2010 was the last really cold December, I think. I was snowed in for 3 weeks.

In work now (it's warmer here) but the car is still an ice cube.

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It started snowing on 26th November,. the night of my retiral dinner, and snowed on and off for several months.

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Yep that was some drop, started snowing lunchtime the last workday before Xmas. We couldn't get into the woods for near a month, couldn't get the 4x4s up or even open the gates. We had to order covers for the chainsaws from Germany that reduced the air intake into the engines, it was just too cold to run them normally. The snow was 6ft high in some drifts, and you could see where the animals had walked along the snow and eaten the bark off trees and branches. Brutal, I loved it.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

2009 and 2010 were horrific winters. I live out in the countryside and temperatures plummeted to about -15 in the winter of 2009 and public transport could not get to where I live. Being outdoors for any length of time was genuinely unbearable. A positive thing to come from that was that I stopped smoking cigarettes because I was not allowed to smoke indoors and it was so cold that I did not even enjoy going out for a cig.

1 minute ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Yep that was some drop, started snowing lunchtime the last workday before Xmas. We couldn't get into the woods for near a month, couldn't get the 4x4s up or even open the gates. We had to order covers for the chainsaws from Germany that reduced the air intake into the engines, it was just too cold to run them normally. The snow was 6ft high in some drifts, and you could see where the animals had walked along the snow and eaten the bark off trees and branches. Brutal, I loved it.

Similar story for me. It was lunchtime and the snow was chucking it down. I was at work.

The wife called and said "You might want to leave early". Normally a 40 minute drive took over 3 hours. And I was stuck for 3 weeks. Mental times.

25 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Oh yeah! I was stuck on the A725 for about 10 hours. A kind delivery driver walked past all the cars giving people packs of crisps. I went for a pee in a field in knee deep snow. Worst thing was I was facing the wrong direction for home as when I was leaving I'd heard lorry jack-knifed so thought I'd try another route. People just abandoning cars and walking (to where I don't know) I finally got a break in the central reservation to cut back the opposite direction, was so weird driving past abandoned cars on the M8. 

Answers my question though, thanks. 

What a time for weather like this, must be costing people a fortune. 

52 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Three children have died after falling into a lake in Solihull.  Seems like they fell through the ice.  Awful.

Frozen water is both incredibly attractive and incredibly dangerous.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Frozen water is both incredibly attractive and incredibly dangerous.

I've always been blessed with absolute cowardice. Anything remotely  dangerous didn't  attract me.

Setting fire to things maybe, but I was well out the road of any consequences usually.

I might just be a massive shitebag but I have always been too scared to go near large outdoor bodies of water or to walk on them when they are frozen over.

Walking on frozen water especially is a stupid thing to do. If you fall through the ice into the paralysingly cold water below then you are as good as dead unless you're very lucky.

A terrible thing to happen to children, but their deaths were entirely preventable through proper supervision. 

19 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I might just be a massive shitebag but I have always been too scared to go near large outdoor bodies of water or to walk on them when they are frozen over.

Walking on frozen water especially is a stupid thing to do. If you fall through the ice into the paralysingly cold water below then you are as good as dead unless you're very lucky.

A terrible thing to happen to children, but their deaths were entirely preventable through proper supervision. 

Did you never leave the house when you were a kid?