Snow!

xbl

22 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Not the extremes mentioned but leaving work this morning it was -10 and the very first thing I thought when I walked out into it was, your not lasting long if you are caught out here in this temperature. Not just cold, but into another tier of freezing where you kind of know it's dangerous.

That's just the effect of having a warm house and the shock of a 30 degree change. 

People lived in much colder temperatures for centuries without modern heating. 

45 minutes ago, Detournement said:

That's just the effect of having a warm house and the shock of a 30 degree change. 

People lived in much colder temperatures for centuries without modern heating. 

Aye but their life expectancy was much shorter.

55 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

The coldest place I have been is near Nogliki in Sakhalin, -38C. Just a couple of degrees lower than the Moray coast.

The hottest was Balhaf in Yemen, 37C. Just slightly hotter than a used car garage in Greenock.

Coldest place I’ve been is Pittodrie for a pre-season friendly.

Dubai in August was brutal heat. Likewise the summer months in Las Vegas. Different types of heat tho. Vegas is a searing, burning feeling, Dubai is so stifling and humid that the water in the air condenses on your skin because 38 degrees is the coldest surface available.

36 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Dubai in August was brutal heat. Likewise the summer months in Las Vegas. Different types of heat tho. Vegas is a searing, burning feeling, Dubai is so stifling and humid that the water in the air condenses on your skin because 38 degrees is the coldest surface available.

Mexico was unreal for me,still 25c at 3am.

I have worked outside in Norway at -20 deg and it was actually ok, as long as you kept your gloves on. Beautiful blue sky sunshine and no wind.

I’ve also been in south east India when it was 51 deg with 60% humidity and it is horrible. Feels like the hairs in your nose are burning when you breathe

I was fairly surprised at how bright my garden was at 00:30 this morning, just from the reflection of the streetlights off the cloud and snow.  I could easily have sat out* and read a book out there where normally it would be pitch black (street lights are usually blocked by the houses).  Mental.

*and probably freeze to death.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I was fairly surprised at how bright my garden was at 00:30 this morning, just from the reflection of the streetlights off the cloud and snow.  I could easily have sat out* and read a book out there where normally it would be pitch black (street lights are usually blocked by the houses).  Mental.

*and probably freeze to death.

Yup. I'm also always struck by how much lying snow dampens down all the noise you'd usually hear too.