Snow!

xbl

17 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Was just shy of -22 in Braemar last night. Amazing. I’ve never been out in cold like that before, would quite like to go for a walk about in it - see what it’s like.

It's on my bucket list to experience -18 and +50 but I see Strathdon got to -24 which is incredible.

The wee button for locking my car has been goosed for a while, so I've been opening it with the key in the door for a while now. It's been a pain some mornings where the lock has iced over, but I just go prepared with a wee mug of hot water and job done in a few seconds. This morning however, I de-iced my lock, drove the 6 miles to work and by the time I got there the lock had frozen over again. It has somewhat increased the urgency of me getting the key fixed.

First winter accident happened this morning, involving a nasty fracture just outside of the front door.  😞  Frozen puddle on the doorstep was the result of the frozen fluid fracturing the base of the milk bottle.  Thankfully just the one broken with two of the three escaping accident free, currently in the house warming up.  Take care out there people.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

Experienced -20 or so in New Jersey once. Your face starts to tingle, then burn, then go completely numb. Not pleasant. 

I've experienced -30 (or something like that) up in the Arctic at this time of year and didn't find it too bad, although admittedly this was little more than walking to work.  I think people think of the significant difference between 0 and +30 and presume that the same significance must apply to the difference between 0 and -30, but in reality it feels absolutely nothing like that (just a much 'drier' chill that we don't really experience in Scotland).

Eta: I've also experienced +50 in Death Valley.  Proper nasty, but different to how I imagined it feeling.  Can't really put it into words, but it was different to what I'd experienced in even the Sahara.

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I've experienced -30 (or something like that) up in the Arctic at this time of year and didn't find it too bad, although admittedly this was little more than walking to work.  I think people think of the significant difference between 0 and +30 and presume that the same significance must apply to the difference between 0 and -30, but in reality it feels absolutely nothing like that (just a much 'drier' chill that we don't really experience in Scotland).

Can you imagine dreich -30, probably not possible but I imagine it would be similar to the feeling Walt Disney has atm.

It's on my bucket list to experience -18 and +50 but I see Strathdon got to -24 which is incredible.
Those sort of cold temperatures were widespread in Scotland in the cold snaps of 2011 and 2012 (I think). I'm sure Glasgow recorded -20C a few nights and was generally low minus temperatures during the day.

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Considering we're at a higher latitude than Moscow and southernmost Hudson Bay, I think we should all have a doorstep clap for the underappreciated Gulf Stream.  I'm thinking 6pm tonight.

Ill clap it when global warming moves it away from us. We only clap when things die.

3 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Was just shy of -22 in Braemar last night. Amazing. I’ve never been out in cold like that before, would quite like to go for a walk about in it - see what it’s like.

I've been out here when the windchill made it feel like close to -40, as soon as you step outside it literally takes your breath away, it's hard to breath for a second and pretty soon any exposed skin starts to tingle then go numb, the local weather forecasts will tell how long you can be outside before frostbite kicks in. My first winter here I took the streetcar/tram to work everyday, standing on the street waiting for them was brutal but you just get on with it, thankfully now I take the subway.

This winter here has actually been fairly mild, it's "only" -9 at the moment, feels like -17. I think the lowest feels like temperature we have had this winter is -22, which doesn't feel too bad. There's a poster on here, Raider maybe? How lives in the Chicago area, they have worse winters than Toronto  

ETA - Hope you've got the big coat on @mugen_power

https://globalnews.ca/news/7631656/alberta-weather-cold-15-new-record-lows/ 

Edited by Torpar