Pokemon Thread

Ad Lib

Just now, Kyle said:

RG - I think they improve as you go through the levels. If you have tonnes of both, evolve them and you'll get more xp, ergo better Pokemon. 

I've ever seen 1 weedle. Totally inundated with Magikarps and Psyducks! 

I'm maybe over-egging things, as I've started finding more and more ~80 things, but the vast majority are those things. Might spend the weekend in the City Centre and see what pops up. 

I live next to a river so all I largely see are water types.

Going to try that with the eggs.

Got tomorrow off and I've got various things to do around the city, way more excited by the prospect of finding Pokemon than I think I really should Be.

8 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

I can't see the rules/instructions on how to play on the app. Am I missing something obvious. I have no clue how what I'm meant to do beyond catching them. Powering up? Dust? Battles? Growing them or something?

You try and level up your character by catching pokemon and evolving them. You get stardust every time you catch pokemon, while the specific Pokemon candy is only attainable by catching that type of Pokemon, this is what you use to evolve them. Once you reach a high enough level, and have strong enough Pokemon, you can start taking on fellow players at gyms, victory results in prizes and XP, youre then the "owner" of that gym, and every 20 hours you go without being defeated results in more prizes and XP. 

Definitely plan on making a start on this on Monday when I start what will be a pretty active week for me for getting about. Plan on taking some detours on the way home from the train station to try and maybe snatch some of the fuckers.

Never given a toss about Pokémon in my life, but this has grabbed my attention a bit.

12 hours ago, Max Power. said:

Not had the issue with the Pokestops, but I had it crash a couple of times when catching Pokemon (thankfully when I restarted it had actually logged that I had caught them), and a few times I wasn't able to enter in to battle with one.

This. Went out for a wander with the kids last night and it constantly crashed when we'd caught something <_<

4 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Definitely plan on making a start on this on Monday when I start what will be a pretty active week for me for getting about. Plan on taking some detours on the way home from the train station to try and maybe snatch some of the fuckers.

Never given a toss about Pokémon in my life, but this has grabbed my attention a bit.

I'm the same. Haven't played Pokemon once, always thought it looked shite, but am reluctantly getting interested in this.  What do you do? Catch the animals and get them to fight each other? I genuinely don't know.

Edited by Pete Rockwell

Did my first gym battle today. Couldn't believe how levelled up the Pokemon were. Defeated the first Pokemon I came up with (a level 1,200 odd magma) with my 492 golduck purely because it was water vs fire, but my Golduck fainted almost instantly after abs he saw to my other five very quickly (all of mine around 100, his near or above the 1,000 mark).

13 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

I'll add another newbie question. When do you power up, evolve and transfer? Is there an order on when you should do it?

I'd only power up if you're looking to battle, or if your pokemon can't be evolved any more.

Evolve whenever you get the chance to and transfer when you're trying to get enough candies to evolve. The more you evolve, the more levels you move up.

Had to pick up my girlfriend in town today, which meant my first Poke-adventure into a City Centre, phone never stopped buzzing but I was too busy driving :( Managed to snag myself a Rhyhorn though.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Had to pick up my girlfriend in town today, which meant my first Poke-adventure into a City Centre, phone never stopped buzzing but I was too busy driving :( Managed to snag myself a Rhyhorn though.

So does the app tell you when you have to do something? 

2 minutes ago, Pete Rockwell said:

So does the app tell you when you have to do something? 

If you have the app open it'll vibrate when you're within distance of a Pokemon thats catchable. After that you're in it yourself though. Its probably worth reading a quick guide as the app itself is fairly unhelpful.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

How do you get the vibration alert to work? Only time I've caught one of these things is when I sit down and go into the app and see something. 

I've noticed that when I unlock my phone and go into the app it comes up with a message like GPS not found for a few seconds. Wondering if my GPS switches off when phone goes into sleep/hibernation which is preventing me getting notifications. 

Edited by Pete Rockwell

Just now, Pete Rockwell said:

How do you get the vibration alert to work? Only time I've caught one of these things is when I sit down and go into the app and see something. 

I've noticed that when I unlock my phone and go into the app it comes up with a message like GPS not found. Wondering if my GPS switches off when phone goes into sleep/hibernation which is preventing me getting notifications. 

Only works when the app is open and your phones unlocked. Should be automatically set up to do it. If not touch the pokeball, and in the top right will be a settings button which will open a menu. Be a box to tick in there. 

If you tick the battery saver one, and then turn your phone upside down, it'll go into a "sleep" mode which should still vibrate when a Pokemons near you.

1 minute ago, Pete Rockwell said:

I see what you mean. I've been pressing the hibernate/sleep button on my Galaxy Note thinking the app will still run in the background that's maybe what the problem was. 

Yeah I had just assumed it would work as long as you had your location on and Internet access, shame it doesn't tbh.

1 minute ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Worth it if they found a Golem or Golbat tbh

The vibrate thing is great. I just walk along with my phone in my pocket until it goes off.

Caught some new Pokemon today. Magnemite, Jynx, Psyduck and Bellsprout.

Whats everyone's Pokedex like? I've caught 34 different pokemon.

I've only encountered 20 so far, best is a 152CP Rhyhorn. Managed to get a Paras, Vulpix, Psyduck and Clefairy too. Have a 17CP Raticate I'm loathe to get rid of as one of its moves is Hyper Beam