Shinty

thejailender

What made last weeks win even better for Inveraray was that the second team won 6 - 0 with a team that included 5 or 6 boys from the U 14`s. Encouraging that the next generation of players is getting match practice and being helped along by some of the more experienced players from the first team.

• 2 weeks later...

To Newtonmore today, via Ruthven Barracks. Newtonmore 2 Kingussie 0. Better team won, Newtonmore in particular looked much better going forward. Their #9 took a thump in the first half, think resulting in stitches in a huge gash to his right eyebrow, then came back on in the second half to take an equally sore dunt in the jaw. More blood, and got a yellow card for his troubles then subbed off. Looked a painful day for him!

Decent enough game considering the gale it was played in.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to make it out to a Shinty game this season, a Camanachd Cup tie between Inverness and Glenorchy. Glenorchy came out on top in a game in which Inverness did a lot of huffing and puffing, but failed to trouble the goal much. Matters where not made any better when they had a and sent off about 10 mins after going a goal down. Took the camera along as per normal, photos below.

1. Jedi Mind Powers Suspected
8707486999_46a46960ef_z.jpg

2. Batter Up
8708605716_abfd02716c_z.jpg

3.Frankly......I'm Disappointed At The Socks
8708600676_cb8e6a64da_z.jpg

4. That's It, Stay Brave
8708592556_c4264a2862_z.jpg

5. This Has Not Gone To Plan
8708592060_244171294a_z.jpg

6. The GOOALL!!!!!
8708590026_dbd46e2f61_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to a wee railway trip up to the cup final in Inverness this coming Saturday. A derby of sorts between Glenurquhart and Lovat. Mon the Glens! (Went to Uni with the chief of the Lovat clan who was 13th in line to the throne or some such like - did not take a shine to the man.)

Really hoping this doesn't go to Extra Time - facing a wee dash to get across town for the 6.40 train thanks to the BBC Alba inspired 4.05 throw-up...

Looking forward to a wee railway trip up to the cup final in Inverness this coming Saturday. A derby of sorts between Glenurquhart and Lovat. Mon the Glens! (Went to Uni with the chief of the Lovat clan who was 13th in line to the throne or some such like - did not take a shine to the man.)

Really hoping this doesn't go to Extra Time - facing a wee dash to get across town for the 6.40 train thanks to the BBC Alba inspired 4.05 throw-up...

I doubt he will be in the Lovat team on Saturday! I am away at the weekend otherwise I would definately go to this. A derby between two teams who have rarely made appearances in senior finals (The Glen making the MacAulay Cup final last year which I think was their first final perhaps since the Camanachd Cup in 1988, and Lovat in a final for the first time since 1977) makes for a great occasion. Nice to get a break from Kingussie/Newtonmore/Fort William too. There should be a really good crowd in for this.

My own feeling is that there isn't too much between these sides. The Glen's league form isn't great but when they get their best team out they are very good. Lovat are very much a team on the up. Lovat have actually done really well in the head to heads recently and won them pretty easily but I would be surprised if either team runs away with it on Saturday. Hopefully it will be another good advert for shinty.

Edited by Waspie

I doubt he will be in the Lovat team on Saturday! I am away at the weekend otherwise I would definately go to this. A derby between two teams who have rarely made appearances in senior finals (The Glen making the MacAulay Cup final last year which I think was their first final perhaps since the Camanachd Cup in 1988, and Lovat in a final for the first time since 1977) makes for a great occasion. Nice to get a break from Kingussie/Newtonmore/Fort William too. There should be a really good crowd in for this.

My own feeling is that there isn't too much between these sides. The Glen's league form isn't great but when they get their best team out they are very good. Lovat are very much a team on the up. Lovat have actually done really well in the head to heads recently and won them pretty easily but I would be surprised if either team runs away with it on Saturday. Hopefully it will be another good advert for shinty.

heading up to torridon for a weekend of walking but as saturdays weather looks pish may well take this in instead on the way up.not been to a game for a few yearsand as a skye man i dont get a chance to get to finals

Glens bossing this. Can't believe the distance their #16? is getting on his hit ins. One almost the length of the adjacent football pitch!

Lovat got better as the game went on I thought. Their keeper was the hero in the penalty shoot-out with three saves, two of them superb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's the big one tomorrow with Newtonmore taking on Kyles in the Camanachd Cup final. More have cruised to the league again this year and nobody can match them for consistency or strength in depth but Kyles have shown on the big occasions in recent years that they can beat them, most recently the 4-3 win in the MacAulay Cup final last month. From what I can see Newtonmore have pinned that defeat on the ref due to them having a couple of goals disallowed and a man sent off but that's dangerous - they should also have seen that Kyles were the better team and deserved to win. Kyles were more mobile and fitter and Roddy MacDonald was unstoppable up front. Newtonmore will need to handle him much better tomorrow. More themselves are the bigger, stronger team and they have a very dangerous attack between Danny MacRae and Glen and Fraser MacIntosh.

Should be a good game and whilst the bookies have made Newtonmore big favourites I can't see there being much in it at all, in fact I think Kyles will sneak it. Live on BBC Scotland 2 Scotland tomorrow with the throw up at 2.15.

Pretty disappointing Tbh. Kyle's just never turned up. Mind you anything after last year's final would be an anti-climax.just the internationals to look forward to now

Agreed, it was an anti climax and Kyles will surely have great regrets looking back at that performance. Still, Newtonmore were very solid and were deserving winners. Like you said we can't have a classic final every year and given the last four were 6-5, 4-3, 3-2 and 4-3 then we were probably due a damp squib!

Pretty much done till the internationals although it will be interesting to see if Fort William can perform a great escape before then. I doubt it.

How many teams will be in the national second tier and is it just a case of half each from north and south?

8 teams. Top 3 from South 1 (GMA, Bute and Glenorchy), top 3 from North 1 (Kilmallie, Beauly and Caberfeidh) and bottom 2 from the Premier (Oban Camanachd and most probably the Fort).

8 teams. Top 3 from South 1 (GMA, Bute and Glenorchy), top 3 from North 1 (Kilmallie, Beauly and Caberfeidh) and bottom 2 from the Premier (Oban Camanachd and most probably the Fort).

Don't think it's been a very popular decision. Did a few clubs, Newtonmore & Kyles for example, not try to get it scrapped?

Don't think it's been a very popular decision. Did a few clubs, Newtonmore & Kyles for example, not try to get it scrapped?

They did. Skye forced on an EGM on the issue of league reconstruction with support from Newtonmore and Kyles amongst others. When the matter came to a vote that night though the Association won by a narrow margin (23-19 IIRC).

I remain unconvinced by the decision. When there was a National Division 1 about a decade ago it was actually a good league and I think it did prepare teams well for having a crack at the Premier, less of a jump than from North 1/South 1 to the Premier. Inveraray and Lochcarron actually contested the Macaulay Cup Final as Division 1 teams. The travelling was an issue though and that's why Skye in particular complained this time, the argument being that teams are willing to travel all over for shinty at the highest level but not for a national second tier. Certainly it would be hard for the likes of Skye to be heading down to Glasgow and Bute for league games. As it turns out Skye just missed out and will now end up playing against mainly reserve teams in North 1 and their own reserve team has been relegated to North 2 to make way for the firsts. Not ideal.

The other downside is that the Premier goes from 10 teams to 8. The 10 team league has been a success and it seems like a step back to cut 2 teams from it. Time will tell if the reconstruction is a success. Certainly the new Division 1 looks like it could be a really competitive league.

Edited by Waspie

• 1 month later...