Shinty

thejailender

What is happening in the Premier Shinty league? There still seems to be a good few fixtures to play & the championship is still on the line! Thought it was now a summer sport!

Its a summer sport in the sense that the season now runs March - October rather than from September - June. There is always a backlog of fixtures though which ends up leaving some games being played in November and even into December. This may well have a major impact on the outcome of the title as the Association has now moved tomorrow's crucial match between Kyles and Kingussie from Tighnabruaich to Invergarry to ensure its played. That has p*ssed off Newtonmore as facing Kyles on a neutral venue is very different to their own pitch at Tighnabruaich and this will certainly help Kingussie.

Its a summer sport in the sense that the season now runs March - October rather than from September - June. There is always a backlog of fixtures though which ends up leaving some games being played in November and even into December. This may well have a major impact on the outcome of the title as the Association has now moved tomorrow's crucial match between Kyles and Kingussie from Tighnabruaich to Invergarry to ensure its played. That has p*ssed off Newtonmore as facing Kyles on a neutral venue is very different to their own pitch at Tighnabruaich and this will certainly help Kingussie.

:o Invergarry`s not even anywhere near Tighnabruaich, in fact the Kyles players will travel much further than their Kingussie counterparts! I can see why Newtonmore are raging! Does this not somewhat devalue the league?

:o Invergarry`s not even anywhere near Tighnabruaich, in fact the Kyles players will travel much further than their Kingussie counterparts! I can see why Newtonmore are raging! Does this not somewhat devalue the league?

I think the Association just want the games played. Kyles told them at the start of the week that their park would not be playable and the Association looked at other pitches in the south but none were available/playable so they went with Invergarry. There is a twist in the tale though as the game has now been postponed due to a bereavement in Tighnabruaich!

If Newtonmore put a few goals past Lochaber tomorrow then next week's fixtures will be fascinating with 'More and Kingussie going into the final fixtures level on points and very similar goal difference.

• 2 weeks later...

So it`s just about done & dusted. After Newtonmore`s victory against Inverary, Kingussie know that anything less than a win will hand More the title. Saw that Kyles refused to travel north to Beauly(?) to face Kingussie, & will thus be docked points. However the game still has to be played, any idea if this will go ahead at Tighnabruaich? With all the rain lately, I can`t see any waterlogged pitch suddenly becoming playable.

So it`s just about done & dusted. After Newtonmore`s victory against Inverary, Kingussie know that anything less than a win will hand More the title. Saw that Kyles refused to travel north to Beauly(?) to face Kingussie, & will thus be docked points. However the game still has to be played, any idea if this will go ahead at Tighnabruaich? With all the rain lately, I can`t see any waterlogged pitch suddenly becoming playable.

Newtonmore have blown it somewhat in recent weeks with their defeat at Kingussie, when a draw would have pretty much secured the title, then managing to only boost their goal difference by 3 in the matches against Lochaber and Inveraray. If Kingussie have to play Kyles at Tighnabruaich they might have it tough but as you say it seems unlikely the park there will be playable anytime soon so it will probably go ahead at a neutral venue. This week's Kyles game is scheduled for Dunoon.

Its all become a bit farcical Im afraid with Kyles not travelling north last week and Inveraray having to play a home match at Kiltarlity. The two games this weekend are crucial at the bottom and have already been switched away from Kyles and Inveraray due to the weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Kingussie are Premier League champions, on goal difference from Newtonmore, after beating Kyles today 5-1. Kingussie thus avoid a first season without a trophy since 1985. At the bottom Bute beat Inveraray today so take the relegation issue to the last game. Bute now need to beat Oban Camanachd next Saturday to save themselves and relegate Lochaber.

• 1 year later...

The Camanachd Cup Final goes ahead at the Bught Park this Saturday and it should be quite a game between the oldest rivals in the sport, Kingussie and Newtonmore. Just 3 miles between these towns and they aren't too fond of each other, was a bit of eye opener for me when I first took in this derby match. They haven't played in the final since 1997 and Newtonmore got the biggest hammering in the history of the final that year (12-1) so they will be very determined to get some revenge. They haven't won the cup since 1986 either which is a long time given they are the most succesful team overall in the history of shinty. Kingussie aren't the force they were but they have some good young players coming through and still do well in the big occasions. Rumoured also that Ronald Ross is to retire after this match so that will give Kingussie extra motivation to win the cup for him.

It's always a good day out regardless of who is playing with a good atmosphere guarenteed and I would recommend it even if you don't have any interest in shinty. With these teams playing the atmosphere should be even better this time. Live music at the final this year too and a beer tent as ever :cheers. . Live on BBC 2 Scotland for those who can't make it to the game.

The Camanachd Cup Final goes ahead at the Bught Park this Saturday and it should be quite a game between the oldest rivals in the sport, Kingussie and Newtonmore. Just 3 miles between these towns and they aren't too fond of each other, was a bit of eye opener for me when I first took in this derby match. They haven't played in the final since 1997 and Newtonmore got the biggest hammering in the history of the final that year (12-1) so they will be very determined to get some revenge. They haven't won the cup since 1986 either which is a long time given they are the most succesful team overall in the history of shinty. Kingussie aren't the force they were but they have some good young players coming through and still do well in the big occasions. Rumoured also that Ronald Ross is to retire after this match so that will give Kingussie extra motivation to win the cup for him.

It's always a good day out regardless of who is playing with a good atmosphere guarenteed and I would recommend it even if you don't have any interest in shinty. With these teams playing the atmosphere should be even better this time. Live music at the final this year too and a beer tent as ever :cheers. . Live on BBC 2 Scotland for those who can't make it to the game.

Will be there with the camera...enjoy the odd shinty game tbh, and this is going to be a belter.

Have a fair few pals from Kingussie and Newtonmore that play for both teams. Was going to go on Saturday with a few guys from Kingussue but i hate shinty ever since Newtonmore second team won the league. For days all i heard was "mon the more". Going paintballing anyway. If you do go, look out for the boys wearing "Where's Wally" costumes :lol:

I'm going up. Really looking forward to it. Black isle doing the beer tent, good enoughfor me. Anybody know if hootenanays does lunches? Cheers

They do Thai food which is decent and very cheap but I'm not sure when they start serving. If they don't do lunches there are plenty of places in town that do.

Going down to this one, I grew up in Kingussie in the same school year as Ronald Ross and Iain Borthwick. Really looking forward to this match, I don't get to many shinty matches these days but a chance to see us beating the Morac minks in the Scottish cup final does not happen too often these days. Should be a real nostalgia trip.

It was an excellent match, it's just a pity that the minkers won it. Newtonmore look like some team now, changed days from my time in Kingussie when we walked all over everyone. Great day out even though I'm a bit pished.

Really fancy taking in a few more games / grounds, probably next season now.

Any tips on which grounds to visit (secenery / hospitality / grub!), or fixtures to take in (must see derbies etc.).

I gather the season runs March onwards - are the fixtures announced in advance, or do they take it week by week like the pathetic junior football organisers?

On another note, how refreshing yesterday to see a huge crowd enjoying a game with a beer in hand, and no segregation or stewarding. Treating the fans as responsible self-policing adults, instead of infantilising them like the football authorities do.

Great day, enjoyed thoroughly by all in our party.