Shinty

thejailender

Really fancy taking in a few more games / grounds, probably next season now.

Any tips on which grounds to visit (secenery / hospitality / grub!), or fixtures to take in (must see derbies etc.).

I gather the season runs March onwards - are the fixtures announced in advance, or do they take it week by week like the pathetic junior football organisers?

On another note, how refreshing yesterday to see a huge crowd enjoying a game with a beer in hand, and no segregation or stewarding. Treating the fans as responsible self-policing adults, instead of infantilising them like the football authorities do.

Great day, enjoyed thoroughly by all in our party.

Excellent game, there have been so many really good, wll fought shinty finals over the past 5 or 6 years and this was another one. I thought beforehand that Newtonmore would run away with it if they managed to get a couple of goals in front but Kingussie did well to reel them back in from 2-0 and 3-1. They actually looked the more likely to win it before the end of the 90 mins.

Fine strike by Danny MacRae to clinch it in extra time though and winning a major final in that kind of fashion will probably do Newtonmore a power of good after a few years when they were there or thereabouts but didn't always get over the line in the finals. For Kingussie it's going to be tough now if Ronald Ross is indeed retiring as he is so important to them. They do have some really good younger lads there but they could do with a more bit steel in the middle I think. It will probably be more of a battle between Newtonmore and Kyles for the big prizes for the next while.

The season does indeed start in March Le Tout P'ti FC and there is a fixture list, although the weather does tend to cause a fair bit of chaos with it. All the fixture info is on shinty.com. As for must see games the other major finals are good value (MacTavish, Glasgow Celtic Society Cup, MacAulay) and there are some good derbies too, especially if they are in cup competitions or are key league games. The Premier League for this season is still undecided and as things stand looks set to go down to a winner takes all match between Kyles and Newtonmore in Tighnabruaich. That will be a good one if both teams win their games in hand to set it up, as I expect them to do (long as Newtonmore don't on a month long bender after yesterday :D ).

Great pics Mackie.

Edited by Waspie

• 1 month later...

The Premier League for this season is still undecided and as things stand looks set to go down to a winner takes all match between Kyles and Newtonmore in Tighnabruaich.

This game is scheduled to go ahead this Saturday. It looks more likely to be in Dunoon now as the park in Tighnabruaich has been in a poor state for weeks. Unfortunate for Kyles that they have had to play 'home' games on neutral grounds and if they don't win the league they have reason to feel aggrieved IMO.

If either side wins on Saturday then they win the league. If it's a draw then Newtonmore would stay a point ahead but with all their games played, leaving Kyles with the chance to win the league with a point against Kingussie in their final match next week. I hope Kyles can finish the job having been top for so long and then having to give up home advantage for crucial matches. It would be good for shinty too IMO if the title finally went to a south team. 1.30pm on Saturday at the Dunoon Stadium anyway if anybody fancies it, should be a great game.

One game left at the bottom too this weekend with Oban Camanachd needing to beat Kilmallie by 7 goals to avoid relegation. Looks very unlikely.

Edited by Waspie

• 4 months later...

The Camanachd Association have a very good YouTube channel, I'd start by looking there.

Lochaber and Caberfeidh are a rung below the top league, so perhaps not the same skill as the top level. I'm planning on taking in a few games this summer, would particularly like to go to one of the bigger cup finals.

Well so far this year I've been up to Fort William v Bute and Newtonmore v Kinlochshiel.Tremendous days out.First game played in sun, sleet and rain - with a mountain rescue helicopter circling throughout second half.Second game a glorious sunny day, and a very warm welcome from the locals at the pavilion.

Really enjoying the pace of the game, and a few memorable "robust" tackles have added to the fun!

Definitely heading over to Kyles as soon as I have a free Saturday, and looking forward already to the Big Cup Final at Oban in September.Hoping scotrail will give us a decent offer soon so I can get cheap fares up to Kilmallie and Kingussie.

Anyone thinking of trying it, give it a bash, it really is a better sport to see live.

Also for central belters, there are teams playing in Glasgow and Aberdour which are fairly close to hand. Try it!

Well so far this year I've been up to Fort William v Bute and Newtonmore v Kinlochshiel.Tremendous days out.First game played in sun, sleet and rain - with a mountain rescue helicopter circling throughout second half.Second game a glorious sunny day, and a very warm welcome from the locals at the pavilion.

Really enjoying the pace of the game, and a few memorable "robust" tackles have added to the fun!

Definitely heading over to Kyles as soon as I have a free Saturday, and looking forward already to the Big Cup Final at Oban in September.Hoping scotrail will give us a decent offer soon so I can get cheap fares up to Kilmallie and Kingussie.

Anyone thinking of trying it, give it a bash, it really is a better sport to see live.

Also for central belters, there are teams playing in Glasgow and Aberdour which are fairly close to hand. Try it!

Excellent!

I think Inveraray and Kyles tomorrow in the Glasgow Celtic Society Cup should be a cracker. The best two teams in the south and the fixture that many would have expected for the final, had the draw not thrown them together at this stage. Inveraray are past their prime but still very good on their day whereas Kyles are very much the coming team in the south - should be a really good match.

I would recomend the final of this very cup (on June 23rd) too as a potential good day out. The game has been scheduled for Strachur's excellent new pitch so should be a good occasion. The draw worked out in a way also which means one of the smaller sides is going to make the final, and whilst that might mean there is a mis-match it should also make it a really big day for whichever of the wee teams makes it.

Where was the Fort William game? I notice An Aird is getting redeveloped this year, or at least a new pitch. Their MacTavish cup game with Newtonmore is at Invergarry tomorrow, are they nomads this season, just playing wherever they can?

Where was the Fort William game? I notice An Aird is getting redeveloped this year, or at least a new pitch. Their MacTavish cup game with Newtonmore is at Invergarry tomorrow, are they nomads this season, just playing wherever they can?

They are playing at the Black Parks in Fort William this season. It's not the best pitch and is unplayable for tomorrow, so the game was switched to Invergarry.

I would recomend the final of this very cup (on June 23rd) too as a potential good day out. The game has been scheduled for Strachur's excellent new pitch so should be a good occasion. The draw worked out in a way also which means one of the smaller sides is going to make the final, and whilst that might mean there is a mis-match it should also make it a really big day for whichever of the wee teams makes it.

I will give this a bash! I've been in the Creggans Inn before (quality fish and chips as I recall!) and I remember seeing the shinty pitch somewhere close by - but this was a good few years back now. Do you know where the new pitch is located?

The one I went to was at the Black Parks on Lochiel Road, Inverlochy, as Waspie says. Really basic set-up - just looks like the kind of place you would walk a dog! Huge puddle had formed just off the pitch at the half-way line, and the whole pitch seems to be a bit boggy and bumpy, so no surprise they have lost a few games to postponements so far. It was, however, a cracking setting - with good views to the hills beyond the pitch.

I had heard that An Aird was getting new drainage and a general tart-up with a view to hosting the Camanachd Cup final in the Autumn, but this has since been awarded to Oban so I'm not sure where this leaves Fort William for the rest of the year.

Next up for me looks like weekend of 5th May now - I'm picking a 1st round Camanachd Cup tie. Skye and Strathglass might be a tad too far from Edinburgh for a day trip, and I don't really fancy Glasgow given I've a night out there this weekend anyway, so it leaves me with a choice between Lochaber and Oban. As I've half an eye on the Lochaber v Kingussie Macaulay cup tie, it looks like it will be Oban for me...

CAMANACHD CUP 1st ROUND DRAW (5th MAY):

Glasgow Mid Argyll v Oban Camanachd / Glenorchy

Oban Celtic v Beauly

Skye v Inverness / Caberfeidh

Strathglass v Aberdour

Lochaber v Lochcarron

Kilmory v Taynuilt

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC

I will give this a bash! I've been in the Creggans Inn before (quality fish and chips as I recall!) and I remember seeing the shinty pitch somewhere close by - but this was a good few years back now. Do you know where the new pitch is located?

The new pitch is at Strachurmore at the top of the village on the road towards Loch Eck and Dunoon. If you walk up past the Clachan and the garage there is a wee road down to the left and the park is there, it can be seen from the Dunoon road. Great setting for a pitch and it is a big improvement on the old one, ie it's actually flat! I was really impressed when I saw it recently. There is also the Clachan Bar in Strachur as well as the Creggans so potential for a pub crawl :P .

Inverarary put Kyles out at the weekend so now face Bute in the semi, that should be a tight game. The other semi is going to be Taynuilt against Aberdour and neither team has ever reached the final. Pretty cool for whoever gets through with Taynuilt being a recently re-formed club and Aberdour being just a few years old. The winner of that semi will probably get quite a gubbing, but it will be a big day for them anyway.

The new pitch is at Strachurmore at the top of the village on the road towards Loch Eck and Dunoon. If you walk up past the Clachan and the garage there is a wee road down to the left and the park is there, it can be seen from the Dunoon road. Great setting for a pitch and it is a big improvement on the old one, ie it's actually flat! I was really impressed when I saw it recently. There is also the Clachan Bar in Strachur as well as the Creggans so potential for a pub crawl :P .

Inverarary put Kyles out at the weekend so now face Bute in the semi, that should be a tight game. The other semi is going to be Taynuilt against Aberdour and neither team has ever reached the final. Pretty cool for whoever gets through with Taynuilt being a recently re-formed club and Aberdour being just a few years old. The winner of that semi will probably get quite a gubbing, but it will be a big day for them anyway.

Aye - we've done that pub crawl once before, that was some night!

Cheers for the directions, I've stuck this in my diary, looking forward to the drive up!

• 3 weeks later...

Grantown (Strathspey) have just started a team they are in div3 been going 6 months and won there 1st game yesterday away to lewis, they arent very good but i suppose will improve given practice, there pitch is shocking a farmers field with a massive slope which will need to be improved by end of season or they,ll be in trouble

Grantown (Strathspey) have just started a team they are in div3 been going 6 months and won there 1st game yesterday away to lewis, they arent very good but i suppose will improve given practice, there pitch is shocking a farmers field with a massive slope which will need to be improved by end of season or they,ll be in trouble

I was on the ferry back from Stornoway to Ullapool which the lads were on, nice purple attire! Seriously though, good to see a few new teams starting up such as Strathspey, Lewis & Ardnamurchan. Didn`t see the game as I only arrived in Stornoway on the Sunday morning after a fortnight in the Uists/Harris. I`m going up Speyside for the weekend, so gonna take in the Kingussie v Newtonmore match at the Dell, also live on ALBA from 4pm.

Really enjoyed Saturday`s 2-2 draw between Kingussie & Newtonmore, very good entertainment for £5 & of course glorious weather & a few ciders on the sideline!

Kingussie were unfortunate to have a man sent off, sent off for raising his hands, although the Newtonmore player was at it as well. Kings did well to hold on to a 2-1 lead until ten mins to go Newtonmore got the equaliser. Kings could have won it at the death though, `More keeper making a fantastic save with the last shot of the game.

Heard from a couple of Lochaber fans that there was a bit of trouble in their Balliemore Cup game down in Oban, with players of the home team attacking the referee!!! Wonder if the Oban Times will report it!

Really enjoyed Saturday`s 2-2 draw between Kingussie & Newtonmore, very good entertainment for £5 & of course glorious weather & a few ciders on the sideline!

Kingussie were unfortunate to have a man sent off, sent off for raising his hands, although the Newtonmore player was at it as well. Kings did well to hold on to a 2-1 lead until ten mins to go Newtonmore got the equaliser. Kings could have won it at the death though, `More keeper making a fantastic save with the last shot of the game.

Heard from a couple of Lochaber fans that there was a bit of trouble in their Balliemore Cup game down in Oban, with players of the home team attacking the referee!!! Wonder if the Oban Times will report it!

I watched bits of the game on TV. Perhaps it was the heat getting to the players but I thought it was pretty flat for a Badenoch derby. Newtonmore don't have anywhere near the same threat without Danny MacRae (and to be fair Chris Sellar was out too at the weekend) and I thought they were lucky to get a draw. Agree about the red card, I didn't think it should have been a sending off at all but if the ref was putting one man off then he should have given the Newtonmore man a red card as well.

Keeps things interesting in the league anyway. I didn't think Kyles were going to challenge for the league this year as they are missing a few lads but they are actually placed quite nicely at this point. The fact they are out of the Celtic Society and MacAulay means they can go all out for the League and the Camanachd too. I think the Camanachd could be a cracker this year - there are a number of teams capable of winning it. Inveraray are going to be dangerous opponents in the Camanachd and that was some score for them at the weekend, 7-1 against Kinlochshiel.

I watched bits of the game on TV. Perhaps it was the heat getting to the players but I thought it was pretty flat for a Badenoch derby. Newtonmore don't have anywhere near the same threat without Danny MacRae (and to be fair Chris Sellar was out too at the weekend) and I thought they were lucky to get a draw. Agree about the red card, I didn't think it should have been a sending off at all but if the ref was putting one man off then he should have given the Newtonmore man a red card as well.

Keeps things interesting in the league anyway. I didn't think Kyles were going to challenge for the league this year as they are missing a few lads but they are actually placed quite nicely at this point. The fact they are out of the Celtic Society and MacAulay means they can go all out for the League and the Camanachd too. I think the Camanachd could be a cracker this year - there are a number of teams capable of winning it. Inveraray are going to be dangerous opponents in the Camanachd and that was some score for them at the weekend, 7-1 against Kinlochshiel.

The heat was definitely a huge factor, players were on about it regularly during the game whilst taking water on board at the touchline. Camanachd Cup this weekend & a few intriguing ties. Can Kinlochshiel bounce back from that 7-1 thumping against Inveraray when they play Kingussie who they`ve already beaten this season? Can Lochaber take another Premier League scalp at home to Bute?