Shinty

thejailender

• 3 weeks later...

I can't see past Newtonmore for the league either. I saw them playing a friendly a few weeks back and they looked very strong. Lovat threatened to make the breakthrough in the league last year but their form in the second half of the season wasn't great and we'll have to see what impact changing their manager shortly before the new season makes. Haven't done too well pre-season. The stars aligned for Kingussie to win the Camanachd last year but I think they are a good bit away from being able to topple 'More in the league. Kyles are maybe the only other team who could do it but the size of their pool and the problems with their park always count again them over a league season. They can beat anybody in the cups. Glen will be top half too and the other five I think will be happy just to stay up, any of them could go down IMO.

National League should be good with Kilmallie, Beauly and Skye all capable of having a real shot at the title. Will be really interesting to see how Inverness get on with Drew MacNeill in charge, I think they will manage to avoid relegation anyway. Bring it on :thumsup2

Edited by Waspie

Whats the fan culture like at a shinty game? Is it highly attended? What things would you expect in the matchday experience?

Depends who you go to see and when. I would imagine most teams crowds are pretty much players and officials and struggle to make 3 figures.

Lovat v Beauly on news years day is a noisy boozy occassion with big crowds and Newtonmore v Kingussie gets a good few hundred and maybe other derby games get similar.

There's is no fan culture really. You don't get chants or singing and your match day experience is the game and maybe a pint if your lucky but at newtonmore they only had tea and coffee.

Your best bet is to take in a cup final. The mctavish and camanachd cup finals always have a beer tent and 4 figure crowds and are a good day out.

Also worth taking in.the annual shinty hurling international.

Whilst I know these things take a fair bit of organising its a bit of a gamble taking decisions so early. Kingussie v Glenurqhuart at Bught works out fine but at Dunoon you could be looking at a 500 attendance.

Similarly Kyle's v inveraray at Oban was perfect maybe not so much at Inverness.

Ach well got as far as Forth Bridge, considered switching to Lovat, got cold feet when Caley game called off, came home. Forgot all about Tayforth, four miles from home, and a 9-goal thriller today!

I went out to Kiltarlity for the Lovat game. Very enjoyable match given the strong wind and heavy pitch. Was impressed by Lochaber coming back from 1-0 and 2-1 to lead and they were pretty close to getting both points. Shaun Nicholson was brilliant. On that evidence they will be tougher opposition this season.

I'm looking forward to the new season. The next four Saturdays I'm either off work or start at 6pm, so I should be able to get a good few games under my belt, weather permitting. Think I might still be hungover from last year's Camanachd Cup final. Drinking whisky from the cup at 2am in Kingussie is probably my best sporting memory. I've got one of the "WINNERS" champagne bottles sat on my bookshelf as well. Fantastic day out. I took a Dortmund season ticket holder with me who loved it.

To the person who asked about fan experience earlier, I have tried to start a "Oh, say King-u-sie, are the best at shinty!" chant to the tune of the US anthem on the odd occasion but it's just not happening.

I'd love to see more away grounds but I'm limited to public transport which is a bit of a shame. Lovat away on Easter weekend looks a goer though. Any tips for a pub lunch pre-game?

• 2 weeks later...

Roddy MacDonalds comments will go down well at CA HQ

A weekly highlights show of the Premiership games would be brilliant and would really help promote the game. I find when anybody new comes and watches a match, they always seem to really enjoy it.

If I had to change anything it would be the international series. I feel the money spent on it would be better used on improving our sport.

Although I've played in these games, I don't feel it benefits the game in any way and is basically just an end-of-season jolly for the Camanachd Association staff.

Eta I totally disagree with him. The shinty hurling along with the cup final are the two events that interest the media and wider public and bring new people to the sport.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Whats the fan culture like at a shinty game? Is it highly attended? What things would you expect in the matchday experience?

Kingussie v Newtonmore with carry out in hand on a nice sunny day is a fine way to send a summers afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trip to Fort William today. Up A82 early, over Corran Ferry, across to Lochailort, lunch at Ben Nevis Inn, shinty, home. Moody clouds, snow topped hills, regular sunny intervals. Glorious scenery!

The game was a bit of a slow burner. Oddly so, as Fort took the lead in the first minute, then missed a penalty. Lovat slowly came onto their game, by far better team in second half. Lovat deserved their 2-1 win.

Decent game overall.

Was quite impressed with Lovat's forwards in second half. Reckon they were robbed of a third due to a dodgy flag!

But, yeah, that drive! 350 miles, but by Christ do we live in a scenic part of the world!

Next game I guess will be the cup final in June.