Shinty

thejailender

Well it's too bloody cold to go up to Inverness tomorrow so I'll be watching with a whisky in the house.

I agree it makes no sense to play at this time of year and would benefit the Scots to play nearer the middle of the season in July august ,although they still haven't managed to finish this season yet.

The last thing we need is the top Irish players wanting involved.

I wonder what sort of a crowd this could draw in the central belt with the Irish students. Then again.there weren't many people at croke park on Saturday so maybe not.

Caught a bit of the first test the other night. The hurlers are allowed rise the ball off the ground and carry it on the hurley like they would in hurling. Ok they can't catch it but surely this gives them a massive advantage over the shinty lads who have to play everything on the ground?

Sort of but the Scots are more comfortable that way. I actually thought the Scots played the ball about very well on.the ground last week and the Irish weren't used to the passing game ,especially the round the corner passes.

Caught a bit of the first test the other night. The hurlers are allowed rise the ball off the ground and carry it on the hurley like they would in hurling. Ok they can't catch it but surely this gives them a massive advantage over the shinty lads who have to play everything on the ground?

Do the Scots play under shinty rules and the Irish play under hurley rules in the same match against each other? Someone told me that today and I didn't believe them.

I think that would be a compromise too far, it would basically mean the hurlers were playing shinty with a hurling stick.

Well it's too bloody cold to go up to Inverness tomorrow so I'll be watching with a whisky in the house.

I agree it makes no sense to play at this time of year and would benefit the Scots to play nearer the middle of the season in July august ,although they still haven't managed to finish this season yet.

The last thing we need is the top Irish players wanting involved.

I wonder what sort of a crowd this could draw in the central belt with the Irish students. Then again.there weren't many people at croke park on Saturday so maybe not.

The summer is a no go for the simple reason that the hurling and shinty seasons are in full swing. No point in giving up a weekend at that point for the novelty that is the international. You wouldn't get any of the best hurlers at all at that point and shinty can't afford to be losing weekends in the summer, tends to be a tight squeeze to get the season finished as it is. As for playing it in the central belt that might work for a one off but can't see it being a great attraction. At least with the Bught you are sure of a decent enough crowd - although with the weather forecast tomorrow maybe not!

Do the Scots play under shinty rules and the Irish play under hurley rules in the same match against each other? Someone told me that today and I didn't believe them.

No, it's a set of compromise rules used for shinty/hurling matches. They had an Irish ref last week though and it's a Scottish ref tomorrow, so there is a feeling that the hurlers might have got away with more with a hurling ref and that the Scots might get away with more with a shinty ref. That's all done to how the refs interpret the composite rules though.

The Bught will be very heavy tomorrow which isn't great for Scotland. If the weather is as bad as the forecast suggests then the beer tent is the place to be.

Ireland win 18- 14: 1-15. 0-14

Great match and both teams played. Ironically I thought the crime park surface suited Scotland's shinty game better and the conditions at bught park suited the Irish lads and the way the hurlers keep it in the air.

I'd agree with that, the park being so heavy made things difficult for Scotland whereas the Irish were able to keep it in the air. Glenn Macintosh missed two good goal chances in the first half and Scotland needed those to go in.

Felt like a long match and not great entertainment. The fact that Scotland were relying on drilling the ball over the bar from distance - totally alien to shinty - to stay in the match again shows what a novelty the international game is. Some good points by the Irish in the second half, those were the highlights

Edited by Waspie

croke park obviously, that was autocorrect rather than a freudian slip.

i have only been following the game for a year or two and it seemed to me in previous years the scots really struggled to get to grips with the points over the bar. we seem to have that sorted now but other than towards the end of either half didnt really threaten the goal. had the chance gone in before half time we could have won it.

have to say i thoroughly enjoyed it altho the amount of whisky taken may have helped that.

Crime Park :lol:

Actually, hurling in the late 19th and first half of the 20th century bore far more resemblance to shinty than modern hurling does. The hurleys were much narrower and catching the ball was very rare. Most of the play was on the ground. It's only in recent decades that the game evolved to using broader and broader hurleys and practically everything is played out of the hand now. There were no rules within hurling to prohibit this so the same evolution couldn't happen in shinty.

Hurlers can catch and kick the sliotar in Hurling so not being able to do that is a big adjustment, im not sure if the Shinty lads have to make a comparable change to their natural gameMaher took his goal brilliantly and some of the points scored were fantastic but it wasnt as good as some of the games in recent yearsIs Bught Park the biggest stadium Shinty has to offer?Its never a good look to be playing on a field that is covered in leavesAnd maybe a return to a single test, Scotland havent managed to win since it was changed to two

Yeah bught is pretty much biggest. An aird in fort William might be similar. Noticed the leaves too,not great and with the weather the way it was it seems a mistake to play the u21s on the same field before.

• 1 month later...

Macaulay Cup drawn tonight - pick of the ties in Round 1 is Inveraray v Kyle, and then potentially Kingussie v Newtonmore in the Quarter Finals.

Other news - Shinty Heroes being broadcast on Alba on 29th Dec and 4th Jan featuring story of shinty and how it contributed to World War I.

Not long until the new season I suppose - I'm booked into a wee cottage in Glencoe at end of March, will be hoping to catch a game or two whilst I'm up to get my season off to a flyer. My new baby boy might curtail my travels a bit next year though!!

Finally just gifted a copy of the R Hutchinson book "Camanachd!". Looks like one to save for one of these long train journeys up the road.

A good Christmas to the regular posters in here!

Other news - Shinty Heroes being broadcast on Alba on 29th Dec and 4th Jan featuring story of shinty and how it contributed to World War I!

Are you suggesting that rather than a conflict cause by competing European empires it was the overspill from a newtonmore v kingussie game?

Macaulay Cup drawn tonight - pick of the ties in Round 1 is Inveraray v Kyle, and then potentially Kingussie v Newtonmore in the Quarter Finals.

Other news - Shinty Heroes being broadcast on Alba on 29th Dec and 4th Jan featuring story of shinty and how it contributed to World War I.

Not long until the new season I suppose - I'm booked into a wee cottage in Glencoe at end of March, will be hoping to catch a game or two whilst I'm up to get my season off to a flyer. My new baby boy might curtail my travels a bit next year though!!

Finally just gifted a copy of the R Hutchinson book "Camanachd!". Looks like one to save for one of these long train journeys up the road.

A good Christmas to the regular posters in here!

Hutchinson's book is very good.

Already looking forward to the new season and I'm aiming to ensure that a trip to Argyll coincides with that Inveraray - Kyles tie in the Macaulay Cup first round.

Are you suggesting that rather than a conflict cause by competing European empires it was the overspill from a newtonmore v kingussie game?

:lol:

Nollaig chridheil dhuibh uile.