Shinty

thejailender

Cheers Waspie.

The question is which Newtonmore side are they playing as Newtonmore are down to play the Sutherland Cup Final and the Camanachd Cup on the same day. Not kept up to date with the situation to know which side is which and who is playing. Put simply, if its a full strength Newtonmore vs Locaber then it's the More all the time just now, but a few main lpayers missing and Lochaber have a chance.

They will have their strongest team in the Camanachd, don't think there is any chance of them underestimating Lochaber. I do think Lochaber will have a chance though, they were obviously gutted at the way they played in the MacTavish final so this is a wee second chance for them. If they get in about Newtonmore this time I think it will be a lot closer. I remember they put Kingussie out the Camanachd in 2004 when Kings hadn't lost in it since 1996 so they will be aiming to invoke the spirit of that day!

The Newtonmore seconds are very strong and will probably win the Sutherland.

• 2 weeks later...

there is "the world of shinty" on facebook much more open than the CA page

There is also Kyles v Newtonmore this Saturday in the second semi final Mossfield Park in Oban at 4.05pm on Saturday also on BBC Alba

There is also Kyles v Newtonmore this Saturday in the second semi final Mossfield Park in Oban at 4.05pm on Saturday also on BBC Alba

Great win for Kyles yesterday. Brick MacArthur was saying afterwards that Newtonmore dominated possession and that their keeper didn't have a save to make but I wouldn't agree with that. I thought Kyles were the better side in the first half and neutralised the threat of the Newtonmore attack very well indeed. At 2-0 they were looking very strong and really 'More got the goal back just before out of nothing and against the run of play. They dominated the opening 15 mins of the second half but thereafter Kyles saw it out without much danger. The ref's failure to play advantage cost Kyles a killer third goal and I thought they had the game's other guilt edged chance in the first half too when Fraser MacDonald was through and put it just wide. Fair enough 'More brought some fine saves out of Kenny MacDonald at times in the match but I felt Kyles were deserving winners.

All south final now between Kyles and Inveraray, the first since 1983 when Kyles beat Strachur 3-2. It should be a great event and good for shinty I think. Very little between the teams and tough one to call.

Took in the game on TV today, a nice change for it not to be in Gaelic. Commentator referred to Tembo's todger about three minutes in, so not quite commentary in English either it would seem, as he was talking about a haircut at the time.

Glens ran away with it - some really stunning strikes in the first-half. First trophy in 127 years I gather, so congratulations due! Enjoy reading the keeping out of the d blog, so happy for them and sure they will enjoy their evening!

Second half highlight was Oban player being merely yellow-carded for throwing the ball at the refs head, to be told "don't do anything silly son"! What would qualify for "silly" would be interesting to see!

Looked like a blazing hot day in Oban, and with score running away (ended 6-0), not surprisingly the game lost a bit of pace as it wore on.

Four weeks to the Camanachd Final - trying to bring some first-timers along with me to spread the word.

• 4 weeks later...

Any games on this weekend other than the cup final?

No, there was a game scheduled for Sunday but it has been postponed.

I'm really looking forward to the final tomorrow. Nothing against the big north teams who have deserved their success down the years but I think an all Argyll final is something to savour. At times it feels like shinty in the south is overshadowed a little by the north but it's such a strong part of the heritage and fabric of life in Argyll with lots of pretty small villages and quite sparsely populated areas putting out teams. Tighnabruaich and Inveraray are good examples of that.

This final brings together two great rivals, two teams with a great shinty heritage and who play a quick moving attacking style. I think there is also a decent chance it will be bad tempered at times with the two sides knowing each other so well - not too fond of each other - and so much at stake. Neither will want to go through the pain of losing a Camanachd Cup Final (and most players on both sides know that feeling) and it will be even more painful against great rivals. Inveraray are certainly the older team (by a fair bit) which might stand in their favour in terms of experience and the physical side of things, but it could be the fresher legs of the Kyles squad will be of great benefit to them.

Kyles are clearly way in front of Inveraray in the league and won the only league game between them this season 4-1, but this Inveraray side have always been noted more for their cup form and indeed have knocked Kyles out of the Celtic Cup and Macaulay Cup this year, 1-0 and 2-1. Ultimately I cannot call this game, really could go either way. As a supporter of Inveraray I obviously hope they win, but wouldn't begrudge Kyles the victory if they come up with a big performance.

2.30 throw up and live on BBC 2 Scotland - should be well worth watching.

Edited by Waspie

Wow what entertainment that was, seemed like a goal was on the cards every attack. Inveraray really needed just a little more of a cushion at half-time after shooting with the breeze. Kyles did brilliantly to come back though. Would have been great if that late Inveraray shot had gone in instead of hitting the post. Congrats to Kyles though, will certainly make up for the disappointment of losing out on the league for the last two seasons.

Wow what entertainment that was, seemed like a goal was on the cards every attack. Inveraray really needed just a little more of a cushion at half-time after shooting with the breeze. Kyles did brilliantly to come back though. Would have been great if that late Inveraray shot had gone in instead of hitting the post. Congrats to Kyles though, will certainly make up for the disappointment of losing out on the league for the last two seasons.

Incredible game, it had everything. Some brilliant goals (and dodgy defending), a fantastic comeback and huge commitment on both sides. In the most part it was played in a great spirit also. You could see what it meant to both communities at the end, the Kyles people were obviously elated and the Inveraray team looked like broken men.

I have a lot of sympathy for Inveraray as this pretty much marks the end of an era for their greatest generation of players since the 1920's. Have to wonder when Inveraray will be back in the final. They have played 4 finals over the past decade and won 1, and I think they will look back at the 3 defeats and feel that the cup was there for them every time. They ran out of steam on Saturday and their midfield went out of the game from 50 minutes onwards. Had they been able to get the ball into MacKinlay, MacPherson and Crawford they would have scored more goals but they were wiped out in midfield in the second half. How many teams will score 19 goals in 2 cup finals and only win 1 of them!

Great credit to the Kyles though and they will be back for more finals in the years ahead, an excellent young team who will only get better. Shinty itself must surely have won a few more fans at the weekend, you would go a long way to find a better sporting spectacle.

What a game, bringing an end - for me anyway - to a great season. Four different winners of the Grand Slam cups, a close league table, and high-scoring cup finals.

I had set myself the target this year of getting round all the Premier League grounds - in the end I've managed only six, plus another three lower league grounds. It has been tremendous fun, much more enjoyable than the football which had became a bit tired for me. My main impressions summarised by these awards:

GAME OF THE SEASON - honourable mentions of course to the Cup Final and Newtonmore v Kinlochshiel games, which were both high scoring and thoroughly entertaining. My favourite game however was at Spean Bridge in the MacAulay Cup - Lochaber 4 Kingussie 6. Lochaber came very close to an upset with a thrilling second half comeback, and some cracking goals. They got some measure of revenge the following week in the MacTavish Cup. I am assuming they are going to be promoted this year, although Skye clearly pushing them close - I think they will be a cracking addition to the Premier League next season.

MOST WELCOMING CLUB - this goes to Newtonmore, and in particular the people who stand at the clubhouse. I was in there for no more than five minutes and I was getting introduced to people. They were very keen to know if I was following the game, explaining some of the intricacies of the rules and the tactics to me. Lovely people all round.

FOUR SEASONS IN ONE DAY AWARD - the opening league game at Fort William, played on the Black Parks. We had snow, we had hail, we had rain, we had wind, then we had sunshine creating steam as it burnt off all the rain. Then it got so-so cold. All the while the park being circled by a mountain rescue helicopter. I had planned to head over to the Fort William FC game when the shinty finished, as I could have caught the second half there. No chance - I virtually ran back to the town centre and dived into the closest pub to reanimate my fingers and toes.

THE CHARMED EXISTENCE AWARD - picture a routine Camanachd Cup win for Inveraray at home against Strathglass in the sunshine. There is a wee laddy no more than three years old playing at the side of the pitch with his Caman. Every time the ball came off the pitch it bounced over his head, flashed past him, rolled through his legs etc etc. He was like a magnet to that ball! Even when he was walked round the pitch the ball suddenly started flying off on that side of the pitch in a fairly direct trajectory towards his head. I was terrified for this poor chap, worried what impact a shinty ball would have on a developing cranium at speed. The locals were oblivious. I'm clearly a softie!

BEST GRUB AWARD - the sausage rolls at Newtonmore were nice, and the spitroast at Oban was wonderful - but my burger at Spean Bridge was in a different league altogether! I had travelled up by train and went for a short - but hilly - walk through the glen and up to the Commando. Got myself back into town with enough time to choose between food or pint, I chose pint, gambling that there would be some sort of food awaiting me at the ground. I chose wisely - that cow did not die in vain! If the crowd had been big enough to hide my gluttony, I would have went back for a second burger - it was that good!

NOAH AND HIS ARK - I only missed one planned game due to the weather, which was remarkable after that summer of biblical rain. Never got to Strachur for the Celtic final, perhaps next year!

BEST USE OF A TENT - Inverness for the MacTavish final. It rained that day, a lot, there was a beer tent selling Black Isle's finest. I enjoyed that tent!

BEST ATMOSPHERE - those Buckfast swilling guys with their tops-off on the hill at Oban on Saturday made a fair din, did they not? During the pitch invasion at the end, enjoyed the sight of some "robust" woman getting stuck on the perimeter hoardings as well as she realised she couldn't climb fences like she used to. Honourable mention here to the fans who came over to Newtonmore with Kinlochshiel - they know how to back their team.

THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY - Glenurquhart. It's the longest trip for me, and I never quite got the confidence in our weather to commit to travelling up there. Maybe next year! (Kyles and Kinlochshiel too.)

BONUS PRIZE - I did not get bitten by a midgie once! (Although they came for us at Kilmallie!)

So that is it, the new season starts in March I presume - with the internationals in October, which I can't make unfortunately. I'll be keeping an eye out on the fixture list so that I can plan my next few trips - and in the meantime, back to the junior football probably, which doesn't promise anything like as much fun as my shinty trips!

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC

• 5 months later...

So, the new season is upon us. Looks like Kyles and Newtonmore will be the teams to beat again. 'More have a new manager but it's the same squad and with some really good players ready to step from the second team they have real strength in depth. I think that a lack of such depth is maybe what cost Kyles the league the last couple of years but they have Grant Irvine back fit now and have signed Roberto Zavaroni from Bute. Would imagine Kyles and Newtonmore will contest the league and probably the Camanachd as well.

Lovat have signed the excellent Kevin Bartlett from Caberfeidh and look well placed to build on last season's progress. Other than that I think the Premier will be much of a muchness. Would appear that Ronaldo won't be playing for Kingussie - but we'll see how long that lasts. Inveraray have lost a few stalwarts and have a really small squad, including a few teenagers. Rebuild on the way for them and I wouldn't be surprised if they went down.

It's also going to be the last season before reconstruction (although Newtonmore are going go contest the plan) so 2 down from the Premier and nobody comes up. That will mean an 8 team Premier and a new 8 team National 1.

The other new thing is shinty betting at Ladbrokes - should be interesting! http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Shinty-c210000223

Edited by Waspie

So, the new season is upon us. Looks like Kyles and Newtonmore will be the teams to beat again. 'More have a new manager but it's the same squad and with some really good players ready to step from the second team they have real strength in depth. I think that a lack of such depth is maybe what cost Kyles the league the last couple of years but they have Grant Irvine back fit now and have signed Roberto Zavaroni from Bute. Would imagine Kyles and Newtonmore will contest the league and probably the Camanachd as well.

Lovat have signed the excellent Kevin Bartlett from Caberfeidh and look well placed to build on last season's progress. Other than that I think the Premier will be much of a muchness. Would appear that Ronaldo won't be playing for Kingussie - but we'll see how long that lasts. Inveraray have lost a few stalwarts and have a really small squad, including a few teenagers. Rebuild on the way for them and I wouldn't be surprised if they went down.

It's also going to be the last season before reconstruction (although Newtonmore are going go contest the plan) so 2 down from the Premier and nobody comes up. That will mean an 8 team Premier and a new 8 team National 1.

The other new thing is shinty betting at Ladbrokes - should be interesting! http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Shinty-c210000223

Ha there`s some cracking prices there for one off games! Kinlochshiel would be favourites to beat Kings I think. Lochaber look decent odds as well.

Where have you been shinty?? Heading up to Spean Bridge tomorrow - first time I'll have seen Lovat. Looks like a pretty close game, should be a good one.

I see Caman is getting another run out on BBC Alba on Thursday nights, repeated Sunday. Worth a watch if you missed it first time round.

Where have you been shinty?? Heading up to Spean Bridge tomorrow - first time I'll have seen Lovat. Looks like a pretty close game, should be a good one.

I see Caman is getting another run out on BBC Alba on Thursday nights, repeated Sunday. Worth a watch if you missed it first time round.

Close yes, but 0-0 sounds a bit dull...

Great win to start the season for Kings at Kinclochshiel who they`ve struggled against before.

Close yes, but 0-0 sounds a bit dull...

Great win to start the season for Kings at Kinclochshiel who they`ve struggled against before.

Just back from Spean Bridge - near enough 400 miles round-trip today, as took a detour over to Camusdarach (anyone know what happened to the church which used to overlook the beach; maybe I've lost my bearings but sure it's gone?).

The game had its moments - Lovat hit the post, Lochaber missed a penalty, great point-blank save by Lovat keeper beforehand, and a bit of a grandstand finish as they both chased a winner. A few yellow cards issued, a wee bit bite to the game. Also the highlight of a dog knicking the ball, the ever-decent grub, and the obligatory rescue chopper flypast! But not a classic, no!

Thinking Oban v Kingussie or Kilmallie v Skye next up for me in two weeks, and will be keeping an eye out for the Cup draw at H&I on Monday.

Just back from Spean Bridge - near enough 400 miles round-trip today, as took a detour over to Camusdarach (anyone know what happened to the church which used to overlook the beach; maybe I've lost my bearings but sure it's gone?).

The game had its moments - Lovat hit the post, Lochaber missed a penalty, great point-blank save by Lovat keeper beforehand, and a bit of a grandstand finish as they both chased a winner. A few yellow cards issued, a wee bit bite to the game. Also the highlight of a dog knicking the ball, the ever-decent grub, and the obligatory rescue chopper flypast! But not a classic, no!

Thinking Oban v Kingussie or Kilmallie v Skye next up for me in two weeks, and will be keeping an eye out for the Cup draw at H&I on Monday.

You thinking of the church at Polnish I'm assuming? Just past Lochailort, mind you'd need to be blind not to see it driving past.

You thinking of the church at Polnish I'm assuming? Just past Lochailort, mind you'd need to be blind not to see it driving past.

I was looking for the church that was in Local Hero, which was overlooking the beach where the Fulton MacKay character stayed. I did a bit more reading last night, and found out it was a house that had been dressed as a church for the exterior shots, and the actual interior shots were filmed at the Polnish church - which is a grand building itself.

The old church/house I think has been replaced by a modern wood and glass type cottage, as there was no sign of it. If I'm right, I'm surprised they were allowed to replace the old building in such an iconic setting, but I've maybe lost my bearings a bit coupled with the film editing throwing me off the scent a bit.

Stunning part of the world though - next best thing to the beaches up in Harris!

• 1 month later...

Brilliant win for Inveraray over Kyles at the weekend. Must admit I thought Inveraray would struggle to bounce back from the Camanachd Cup final defeat but they have made a great start to the season. Peter MacIntyre from Kilmallie looks like a good addition and I noticed a couple of boys who were planning to retire last season back in the team at the weekend too! Will be dangerous in the cups again this season if they can maintain this form.

Newtonmore and Kingussie both a bit lucky at the weekend, needing last minute goals to get to extra time before winning their cup matches. I see they were then draw together in the next round and that should make for a good occasion :) .

Edited by Waspie