Shinty

thejailender

Anyone on here play Shinty ?

I went to watch a game this afternoon, the first time I've been to see a game since I was a very young lad.

Had a sureal moment as I parked the car as on one side of the car park was the game of shinty with all the usual blood and guts style, while on the other side was a laid back quiet game of cricket...

Opted to watch the shinty though..

Caberfeidh beat Beauly 1-0 with a goal a couple of minutes from the end. A good game although I guess not a game between particularly good teams, but I think if I have a free Saturday again I'll probably go back and see more matches.

Played a few informal games a few years ago when I was in Skye, a good laugh. Been to a few matches the last few summers when there was no football and seen some good matches. The Kingussie - Newtonmore derby is well worth going along to and the Camanachd Cup Final is invariably a great day out with a good atmosphere and a beer tent :) . Things are quite interesting in shinty right now with Kingussie no longer totally dominant, the way things are looking now the major prizes could be shared amongst a few teams this season.

On a side issue jailender I await your condemnation of County's apparent anti-football tactics at Firhill yesterday :D . They didnt manage 2 goals as we did at Dingwall and I bet they didnt create half the amount of chances either. Poor show :P.

I've always fancied playing this, but I think I'm too pussy for it. It looks quite brutal in some doses.

Why don't the Keepers wear any shin pads?

I watched a bit on BBC Alba, I think it was the Cup Final from a few weeksback. Fort William vs Gussie? I'm not sure, but enjoyed it and will keep an eye out for it in future.

P.S. When does the season run? summer sport?

Cheers

P.S. When does the season run? summer sport?

Traditionally a winter season but changed this decade. Season now runs from March - September (in theory...it actually goes on till November/December).

Cracking match yesterday in the MacAulay Cup final with Inveraray turning around a 3-1 deficit to win 4-3. Sign of the times that Kingussie have been beaten in 2 major finals this season having enjoyed the lead going into the closing stages of both of them - this would never happened to them before! Its good for shinty though and good in this case to see one the major cups going to the South. If anybody is interested the final is on iplayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00mg...Cup_22_08_2009/

Played a few informal games a few years ago when I was in Skye, a good laugh. Been to a few matches the last few summers when there was no football and seen some good matches. The Kingussie - Newtonmore derby is well worth going along to and the Camanachd Cup Final is invariably a great day out with a good atmosphere and a beer tent :) . Things are quite interesting in shinty right now with Kingussie no longer totally dominant, the way things are looking now the major prizes could be shared amongst a few teams this season.

On a side issue jailender I await your condemnation of County's apparent anti-football tactics at Firhill yesterday :D . They didnt manage 2 goals as we did at Dingwall and I bet they didnt create half the amount of chances either. Poor show :P .

I'll agree with that. I was on the pitch at the end joining in the celebrations a couple of years ago despite having no knowledge/interest in the sport.

I played shinty in school but was far too chicken. I used to volunteer to go in goals after getting a stick round my neck but then I just became shooting practice. It was pointless, all the talented players would hit shots from the 30 yards and before you could see the ball it was heading right for your eyes. An insane sport.

I remember the Camanachd Cup Final was in Dunoon and the goalkeeper purposefully headed the ball away when it was coming to him full pelt, then he just got up and carried on playing.

Are Kyles any good anymore?

They had about 10 years or so where they struggled and were relegated a few times but right now they have a decent side, mix of a few older lads who won the Camanachd in 94 and a pile of good young players coming through. They have the Camanachd Cup semi final with Kingussie this weekend and must have a fairly decent chance of winning it. If they get through too they would have a decent chance in the final as Fort William are imploding a bit the past few weeks.

Tapadh leibh Waspie,

Have you been to the Ireland v Scotland Shinty/Hurling Fest? I see there's one on at Inverness this year, and I have a pal from Ireland who used to play for a team in Ireland and said that the Scot/Ire Bash is great fun and a big session afterwards?

Tapadh leibh Waspie,

Have you been to the Ireland v Scotland Shinty/Hurling Fest? I see there's one on at Inverness this year, and I have a pal from Ireland who used to play for a team in Ireland and said that the Scot/Ire Bash is great fun and a big session afterwards?

Se do bheatha Kejan.

Yeah Ive been to it a couple of times. The games themselves are a bit of a lottery given its clearly two different sports but its a decent event and there are indeed good drinking sessions afterwards. The Camanachd Cup final is probably a better bet for you though as there is a much better atmosphere at the game itself and more amounts of drink induced carnage afterwards.

Edited by Waspie

• 2 weeks later...
I mind watching the Camanachd Cup final a few years ago and the 'keeper for one of the teams had an erection. You could see it through his trackie bottoms.

The question is who will be standing proud at the end of the Camanachd Cup final on Saturday, Scott MacNeil or Kenny MacDonald? Game is live on BBC from 1.45 if anybody is interested, should be a good game Id imagine.

The question is who will be standing proud at the end of the Camanachd Cup final on Saturday, Scott MacNeil or Kenny MacDonald? Game is live on BBC from 1.45 if anybody is interested, should be a good game Id imagine.

I caught the last twenty minuted. Really enjoyed it as well! Anyone who wants to be a Keeper in that game must be insane! No helmet, gloves, or any type of protection.

Good comeback from Kyle's, and that big guy Clark stealing victory in the last minute for Fort William. I don't know enough about the sides etc, but it was great viewing.

It seems a lot of fun, I counted about 5 times all the different players that suggested they were going to be lashed in the evening to celebrate.

The Scotland - Ireland game looks really interesting, I'm going to try and get up to it, see if I can drag a pal along.

You going to it Waspie?

Superb match and worth a look on the iplayer even just for the closing 15 minutes! http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00n0...nachd_Cup_2008/

Kyles just needed a bit of experience to steady them when they got it back to 3-3. They poured forward and got caught out. They will be back in the next few years without doubt whereas there might not be too many days like that for some of the older Fort players.

Not sure about the international kejan, the wife is due to give birth on that very date :ph34r: .

I played Shinty when i was 15 and was mad enough to be the keeper :huh: I took many a sore one.

Maybe Brave is the word that I should have used B) . Even playing Defence looks like you'd take a good few scalps from shots. Goalkeeping though getting shots fired at you from all types of angles without any protection at all.

Maybe Brave is the word that I should have used B) . Even playing Defence looks like you'd take a good few scalps from shots. Goalkeeping though getting shots fired at you from all types of angles without any protection at all.

oh aye defence you get a feeew sore ones had many of a broken finger playing shinty, played in goals a few times too, its not too fun tbh :lol::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...