Shinty

thejailender

Me and a pal are thinking of going to a game in Glasgow. Is there a bar and is alcohol allowed while watching?
Have only been to GMA once. Was driving so wasn't looking for a pub, but don't remember one nearby. However, a good few people were bringing in a wee carry out from the wee shop next door to the ground (it was roasting hot that day, I had pint envy). Nobody batted an eyelid.

Good ground for plane spotting also!

Was a decent sized crowd at that game (by shinty standards).

29 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Have only been to GMA once. Was driving so wasn't looking for a pub, but don't remember one nearby. However, a good few people were bringing in a wee carry out from the wee shop next door to the ground (it was roasting hot that day, I had pint envy). Nobody batted an eyelid.

Good ground for plane spotting also!

Was a decent sized crowd at that game (by shinty standards).

Thanks, I know a couple of pubs around the train station to visit before walking up to the park.

• 2 months later...

Starting to get quite excited about the cup final. Kingussie have gone all out. Peat & Diesel and Mànran live after the game. Hopefully the home side win in a close game on a sunny day and we can all get drunk and have a dance then crawl into our tents. Bring it on.

Starting to get quite excited about the cup final. Kingussie have gone all out. Peat & Diesel and Mànran live after the game. Hopefully the home side win in a close game on a sunny day and we can all get drunk and have a dance then crawl into our tents. Bring it on.

See you there!

• 2 weeks later...

Pitch was immaculate, few pitches in any sport in the country will be better.

Thought there was very little home advantage. Lots of neutrals probably part part of the reason but a very flat atmosphere in the first half.

Game had a bit of niggle in the second which seemed to activate some of the Kingussie players, thought Louis Munro added a bit of dig when he came on. Very much a next goal's the winner at 1-1 but Kingussie finished in style.

Could see the pain on the faces of the Lovat players at the end as they lost their fourth final of a possible five.

Had to decide between piss or pint at half time. Almost as if they didn't expect 3000 folk there.

Few pints at the Silverfjord now then off to the gig. d9762768d3357cd123216931888eb6a6.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Inveraray 2 Kilmallie 1

I went to shinty for the first time today, having seen the Camanachd Cup Final on the telly years ago. 

I quite enjoyed it despite the rain. Kilmallie looked better in the first half and Inveraray looked better in the second. Bemused foreign tourists kept asking me "what is this game?"...

inver.jpg.6b6ea54e2ce4b9613e09c27623446125.jpg

My wee one isn't mad on sport but is a bit of a head banger so think shiny might be a shout. Have done a bit of looking but can't find kids training in west Scotland.

Any pointers?

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

My wee one isn't mad on sport but is a bit of a head banger so think shiny might be a shout. Have done a bit of looking but can't find kids training in west Scotland.

Any pointers?

Probably cutting it ultra fine here, but Glasgow Mid Argyll have a kids shinty camp this coming week running at their park in Yoker.

I’m certain they’ll also have a kids section for regular training sessions.

Seemed like a friendly wee club when I visited them.

IMG_7684.thumb.png.caa3fec51e06077345df7fd1ff7db0c3.png

• 8 months later...