Shinty

thejailender

3 hours ago, Kejan said:

Mòran taing, a' Whaspie. Tha mi a' smaoineachadh gun robh Gàidhlig aige :)

I'll have a wee scan later on tonight, but it sounds an interesting story considering they are from a small town in Fife too. Wonder if it was a couple of ex-Highlanders who set it up. I'm surprised a Perthshire team wasn't more successful considering it's location and history regarding the Highlands.

I'm from outside Dundee , so I suppose Aberdour would be my local side?!

'S e do beatha! 

It was Lisa Norman who started the club. IIRC she took shinty into the local primary school as part of a project and it was so successful that it continued and grew and grew. A great story. Traditionally clubs around Edinburgh have been mainly exiles but seems like Aberdour have a good mix of those and their own players. 

I suppose they would be your nearest team. Tayforth used to be in Perth but they're in Edinburgh now. 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was to have been the Camanachd Cup Final day today.

We're up anyway as I'd booked a hotel for the weekend pre-COVID. Took a trip to the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore, which has a shinty exhibition within the old Boleskine Shinty Pavilion.

Who knows if there will be a final to look forward to in 2021.IMG_20200918_151529.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2020 at 08:45, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Was to have been the Camanachd Cup Final day today.

We're up anyway as I'd booked a hotel for the weekend pre-COVID. Took a trip to the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore, which has a shinty exhibition within the old Boleskine Shinty Pavilion.

Who knows if there will be a final to look forward to in 2021.IMG_20200918_151529.jpeg

There better be  they still have my ticket money 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have it marked in my diary that the cup final was due to be played on 18 September 2021 at Kingussie. Think that date, which is broadly the "normal" weekend for it, was tentatively mentioned last year around time of cancellation of the 2020 final.

But no doubt the disruption to the 2021 season means that everything is up in the air just now.

Nonetheless the draw for the early rounds of the Camanachd Cup was made yesterday. A regionalised format this year to reduce travel between regions, but still some huge journeys await. Lochaber, for example, are placed in the Southern section and drawn away to Inveraray, and then Kyles if they win that.

The tie of the second round is most obviously Newtonmore v Kingussie, due to be played on 17 July 2021.

The regionalised format league season is due to start on 5 June 2021.

Remains to be seen if any crowds will be permitted this season, and whether there will be any travel restrictions in place. Clearly the size of a shinty ground and the generally small crowd numbers lends itself to fairly easy social distancing, if required.

https://www.shinty.com/camanachd/news/tulloch-homes-camanachd-cup-1st-2nd-round-draw

• 1 month later...
Aye, 18th September at Kingussie seems to be it for the final. "Shinty's Caman Home".

Can't see there being an issue with crowds.
Scratch that. Kingussie have pulled out of hosting. Worried about potential covid-related restrictions which is fair enough considering all the planned associated events/attractions. Still pretty disappointing though.

18 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
On 07/04/2021 at 19:19, DiegoDiego said:
Aye, 18th September at Kingussie seems to be it for the final. "Shinty's Caman Home".

Can't see there being an issue with crowds.

Scratch that. Kingussie have pulled out of hosting. Worried about potential covid-related restrictions which is fair enough considering all the planned associated events/attractions. Still pretty disappointing though.

I'm quite surprised by that, where's it going to, Bucht in Inverness?

• 2 months later...

Went to Newtonmore vs Caberfeidh today. Glorious weather, had a couple of cans, watch some sport, what more could a boy want?

It'd been a while since I'd seen any shinty and the quality of play surprised me. There was some great skill on show.

Really a wonderful day out. IMG_20210828_161538.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Incredibly sad and tragic news from the world of shinty today. Andy MacKintosh of Newtonmore has died at the tender age of 31.

I saw him play many times, an instantly recognisable part of a very successful team, and the captain of the Camanachd Cup winning team of 2018 amongst numerous playing accolades.

The impact of this sad event on his community has clearly been profound. It is such a desperately sad thing to endure.

Words can only mean very little at a time like this, but should any of his friends or family happen to read this you have my deepest sympathy, and please know he made an impact on many of us who follow this sport even from afar.

Rest in peace.

42de515f1c6f3ab6093fb16f13c4cd75.jpg57af07410b6a76ca9bda55312e70cfba.jpg