Shinty

thejailender

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Back in Inveraray today, and another very good game against Kilmallie.

A good pal of mine had a rare Saturday off and wanted to road test his new car, so I had the very rare treat of being driven to Loch Fyne Ales and the Oystercatcher Otter Ferry sandwiching the shinty.

Brilliant day trip. IMG_20190622_121626.jpgIMG_20190622_153624.jpg

Kilmallie v Kinlochhsiel.

What a stunning venue this is.

Edit - finished 4-3 to Kilmallie, after Kinlochshiel drew back a three goal deficit. The Kilmallie keeper encouraged his players to "put their bodies on the line and give 120%" and lo and behold along came their late winner. Cracking game.

IMG_20190706_120104.jpg.af2a77ef0b748b3d6348713f3c2e6751.jpgIMG_20190706_121116.jpg.fbfb96a87651549292269c3e58c9d1f3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just back home from a long, wet and ultimately pointless trip up the A82.

The weather was absolutely minging, and the game shouldn't have started. In the first minute a couple of players went flying, and pretty early in the half a Newtonmore player skidded into the crush barriers from about twenty yards away and looked badly hurt. The pitch was clearly pretty dangerous, not to mention that the ball was holding up.

When they sent the kids on at half time and made no efforts to fork the worst areas, it was pretty clear to me it was going to be called off.

Referee called it pretty early in the second half when the rain had accelerated further and the wind had whipped up.

Pretty disappointed I'll miss the game next week.IMG_20190914_140109.jpegIMG_20190914_141434.jpegIMG_20190914_143452.jpegIMG_20190914_150943.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Last game of the season for me. Kyles beating Newtonmore 2-1 at HT. Kyles taking the lead twice, the second time with a shot from just outside Perth that flew into the top corner.

Two very high quality teams playing with maybe a touch less ferocity than normal against each other, leading to some really open and skillful play. Enjoying this.

Interested to see Paul MacArthur turning out for Kyles. He's playing really well too. IMG_20191005_122643.jpegIMG_20191005_125054.jpegIMG_20191005_123945.jpeg

• 5 months later...
On 07/03/2020 at 15:49, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

New season begins today.

Camanachd Cup Final looks like a superb day out this year. We're already booked into hotel for the weekend, this will sort out the Saturday night.

Should be a cracker. Camanachd Cup final followed by Peat and Diesel! 

Wee feature on Inveraray to mark the new season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-51753292

I usually watch the Cupa Na Camanachd final and whatever games are on Alba, and have a passing interest in it, but I could have sworn Aberdour were storming the First Divsion last year? Did they blow the league at the final hurdle as I notice they are not in the Premier League this year.

Off topic, but are they most successful east coast/away from the west coast/Lowland team?

2 hours ago, Kejan said:

I usually watch the Cupa Na Camanachd final and whatever games are on Alba, and have a passing interest in it, but I could have sworn Aberdour were storming the First Divsion last year? Did they blow the league at the final hurdle as I notice they are not in the Premier League this year.

Off topic, but are they most successful east coast/away from the west coast/Lowland team?

It was South Division 1 that they won last season Kejan. This is their first season in the National League. 

They are the strongest east coast side at the moment. They are still quite a young club and many other east coast clubs have disappeared over the years. Aberdour have put down good roots in their community though and look well placed to survive and prosper. Although I suspect that the National League is going to be a tough gig for them at this stage. 

Edited by Waspie

4 minutes ago, Waspie said:

It was South Division 1 that they won last season Kejan. This is their first season in the National League. 

They are the strongest east coast side at the moment. They are still quite a young club and many other east coast clubs have disappeared over the years. Aberdour have put down good roots in their community though and look well placed to survive and prosper. Although I suspect that the National League is going to be a tough gig for them at this stage. 

Mòran taing, a' Whaspie. Tha mi a' smaoineachadh gun robh Gàidhlig aige :)

I'll have a wee scan later on tonight, but it sounds an interesting story considering they are from a small town in Fife too. Wonder if it was a couple of ex-Highlanders who set it up. I'm surprised a Perthshire team wasn't more successful considering it's location and history regarding the Highlands.

I'm from outside Dundee , so I suppose Aberdour would be my local side?!