Shinty

thejailender

On 13/05/2017 at 22:12, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

New ground for me today: the delightful wee town of Cannich to see Strathglass. I couldn't have placed Cannich on a map until today. Brilliant trip.

I'd feared Ballachulish would take a bit of a pasting but they made a real game of it, hitting the bar and keeping Strathglass out until 40 mins. They lost a second quickly which kind of killed the game.

Anyway Strathglass looked decent up front, great park there, very decent pie shop. Friendly locals apart from the maniac on the single track road who didn't quite get the concept of a passing place.

Strathglass go on to play Kilmory at home in the last 16, so both teams must fancy their chances of a cup run.

Another grand day out!

a5ec8b93cad2a8794963fe68063017ca.jpg

my father played for Strathglass  back in late 50s, Cannich is a nice place

• 2 weeks later...

I attended the Scotland v Ireland shinty/hurling international at Inverness on saturday and was impressed by the speed of play and the physicality of the sport, no pulling out of tackles and every ball fought and challenged for, I thought the rules a bit unfair and biased towards Scotland in that the two sports have obviously different styles of play with free hits, (if thats the right word), Scotland played their free's off the ground which earned two points if the ball went between the posts, Ireland's normal play however warrants them lifting the ball off the ground and striking it which only earns them one point.

However I felt that Scotland earned the win with some excellent play.

• 5 months later...

Happy New Season! Stopped off in Oban yesterday on way back from a Calmac adventure to see Oban v Lovat. 2-2 draw, very enjoyable game, Oban coming back from behind twice.

Interested to see they were in process of gutting the stand, apparently the metal work is being repaired and a new weatherproof surface is being put down. Should be looking sparkly new for the Camanachd Cup Final.

We stopped off at Ganavan on the way out last weekend and sadly the pitch failed our inspection!

20180331_154712.jpg

20180323_164430.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First visit to Lovat today. Newtonmore won 1-0. Interested to see a huge new pavilion going up.

Took a visit to Leakey's first and bought a copy of Hugh Dan's centenary book from 1993.

Bizarrely on way down A9 I spotted Kingussie B v Skye B was cracking on after a 6pm kick off. New TV deal for North Division 1?20180519_133413.jpg20180519_144508.jpg20180519_182034_001.jpg

19 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Bizarrely on way down A9 I spotted Kingussie B v Skye B was cracking on after a 6pm kick off. New TV deal for North Division 1?

Mods, please.

Is that really The Dell? Been a fair few changes since I was last there then. About time as well, for such a storied club the facilities were a bit of a joke. I know the perennial flooding makes things tricky but a burger van like Lovat's would have made a huge difference (and a bit of cash).

Mods, please.
Is that really The Dell? Been a fair few changes since I was last there then. About time as well, for such a storied club the facilities were a bit of a joke. I know the perennial flooding makes things tricky but a burger van like Lovat's would have made a huge difference (and a bit of cash).
Ha, good point re kick off! Guilty as charged.

You can now get food inside the Dell up at the cabin behind the town end goal. Not as good as Newtonmore's sausage rolls though!

• 2 weeks later...

Spectacular day at the shinty.

Lochaber 0 Newtonmore 1 at lunchtime. Newtonmore looking pretty good again this year although they made heavy work of this game at times. Top marks to the wee pie shop as ever, my burger was braw.

Fort William 3 Oban Celtic 2 this afternoon. Cracking game, goals being exchanged throughout so nobody ever looked like pulling away.

Shinty highlight of the day was the Oban player being set off for being lippy after full time. The referee took no prisoners, he stopped the game at one point to shift about a half dozen kids who were annoying him.

Non shinty highlight of the day was driv8ng around Scotland looking at its best. Went up very early and crossed the Corran Ferry and have been dithering my way back down because of views like this...

20180602_180533.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 18:36, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Col Glen 0 Inveraray 7. An odd game, Col Glen were in it and giving Inveraray a close game and then midway through second hald goals started flying in from every attack. Superb weather.

Bonus picture of Loch Eck!

Good to see Inveraray getting a good result, looks like the National League is very competitive this season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...