Shinty

thejailender

I'm planning on going to the play-off too. Weather is a bit shit but the Bught is a good surface and at this late stage of the season I'd imagine they'll make every effort to get the game played. Kilmallie haven't played for a while but Kingussie's form has been rubbish. All to play for :)

I missed it. Had a bit of a fraught journey up the A9, the weather was awful coming over the top. Loaded the car up at the click & collect at Inshes, got soaked to skin in five minutes. Couldn't face being outdoors for game! Pushed on through. Wee cottage up in Black Isle with friends. Off to try see some dolphins tomorrow. Mon the Dolphins!

Congratulations to Kingussie.

Roll on next season in March!

Unfortunate Le Tout, it was a good game and a big crowd. Hope you saw some dolphins :)

Game was more like old style winter shinty and a real physical contest. Kilmallie were the better team in the first half but they didn't score and the longer the second half went on Kingussie got stronger. Ryan Borthwick was great in attack and pretty much won the game for them.

Really enjoyable game to finish the season, real shame the AGM on Friday voted the play off out of existence from now on!

Edited by Waspie

• 3 weeks later...

Kingussie v Newtonmore drawn in Macaulay Cup. Looking at the teams qualifying, it brings home the respective strengths of north and south regions. Aberdour in, but no Kilmallie etc. Took in the shinty exhibition as I was passing by Hampden this week. Was just a Wee bit disappointed that the Camanachd Cup wasn't on display. But this cartoon raised a smile...

Edit: the exhibition of Pollok FC photos there is excellent. Loved the story about the Panda Pyro!

post-28011-14503860360688_thumb.jpg

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fixture list published on Friday.

A load of cup draws today - details here: http://m.shinty.com/news/mactavish-balliemore-sutherland-bullough-strathdearn-cup-draws/. I initially thought that Tim Burgess from The Charlatans had made the draw, but no, it was Jim Barr sporting a magnificent nest of hair.

Highlight looks like Newtonmore v Lovat, in the Mactavish Cup.

For the fixture list, here follows my annual plea to Astie to give Inveraray a decent home tie on 26th March when I'm passing through on way home from Islay! Come on Astie! Kilmallie at home would be nicely done.

• 1 month later...

Really disappointing news about Strachur, a great shinty tradition and this news coming now when they have one of the best parks in the sport. Really hope it's just a year out and that they're back soon.

Can't see beyond Newtonmore for the league, nobody can match them for strength in depth and consistency. Cups will be wide open though and I wouldn't be surprised if Kyles do well again. Can't see any one particularly weak side in the Premier so relegation battle could be fascinating.

Good game to start the season. Kyles were good value for their 5-3 win. Two strange things happened: firstly the ball vanished into a massive crater in the pitch at one point; secondly the final Kyles goal appeared to slip through a hole in the side netting. Also vanished is the Kyles guy with the massive hair, or he's had it sheared off and I failed to recognise him!

That's right, 9th and 10th go straight down this season. And Innes 'Big Red' McDonald has indeed had a hair cut, Le Tout!

I was up at Strathpeffer for Caberfeidh and Lewis. A bad day at the office for the Leodhasaich but impressive set up at Castle Leod, great to get a pie and cup of tea at a shinty game :)

• 2 weeks later...

I took in Beauly v Inveraray on Saturday. A number of young lads in the Aray team after their relegation last season and it showed as their 2-1 half time lead turned into a 6-2 defeat. Beauly were very good and Jack MacDonald outstanding in attack. Suspect Beauly and Killmallie will go up.

Pie and tea for a tremendous £1.70 at Beauly, undercutting Cabers by £1.30 :)

Edited by Waspie

• 3 weeks later...

Forthcoming Hugh Dan lecture for anybody in the Edinburgh area with an interest in shinty: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/shinty-an-infusion-of-highland-blood-tickets-23415006916. I shall intend to be there.

Next game for me was to be Taynuilt v Inveraray in a cup next weekend, until Taynuilt spoiled it by getting beat by Aberdour in the prior round!

So now have the coveted "free pass" for next weekend but no game to go to. May venture north to Caberfeidh v Glenurquhart to tick off a new ground, lured by these famed pies!

I'd recommend Cabers! The park is actually reminiscent of Aray with the trees along side and hills right behind. And of course there is the snack bar in the clubhouse. They were playing Capercaillie over the tannoy when I was up too :) I'll be back.

I was at Boleskine v Lewis last week. Well fought match but no tea or pies.