Who's Yer Highland League Team?

El McFuddin

I was gutted this week when we didn't get a highland league team in the Cup - away from home of course. The days out are fantastic. I alawys look out for Huntly (they beat us up there in 94(?)) but i think my team is Forres Mechanics purely because they must have the most unusual but beautiful badge.

Who's yer own HFL team?

Guest Caleyking

Go to watch Clach when we don't have a game.

Woudn't say I support them. Just like to see a game.

Actually saw them win 7-1 or something like that the other week!

Social clubs good crack and cheap too and you get the best bovril IN THE WORLD at Grant street.

Crackeen mun!!

Guest AyrDelighted

Inverurie cos I got a cracking pie when I went up there with my other half to watch his team (Rothes) get gubbed in the Qualifying cup last season :P

Always look out for the Rothes scores - they have the most mental social club!!! :):guinness:blink:

Guest Guinness_Alan
Inverurie cos I got a cracking pie when I went up there with my other half to watch his team (Rothes) get gubbed in the Qualifying cup last season :P

Always look out for the Rothes scores - they have the most mental social club!!! :):guinness:blink:

We didn't get gubbed! We were narrowly defeated 1-0, thanks to some extremely dubious refereeing. :angry:

I lived in Rothes until I was 14, so obviously they are my team. I still support them and go to see them when I can. Unfortunately they're not doing too well at the moment! :(:ph34r:

Clach. My local team these days and I got to watch them whenever I dont get away to the Alloa games on a Saturday. Good atmosphere at Grant Street (more singing than at most Division 2 games) and a decent standard of football.

Waspie not only are you an Alloa fan but a Clach one as well? You poor soul! I look out for the Forres scores and goto see them if I get the chance. Caley King I was at that 7-1 game it was not good viewing! Jesus the Can-Cans were ripped to death that day. But we have the last laugh as the North of Scotland Cup is in the cabinet.

AyrDelighted: What do you make of the Rothes manager leaving to be assistant at Buckie?

Like Bluetooner I tend to keep an eyes out for Cove's results since i know a couple of the players, and most of their team is ex-Peterhead. I also look out for the Locos scores because they're my loco-l (boom boom) team :)

Guest AyrDelighted

AyrDelighted:  What do you make of the Rothes manager leaving to be assistant at Buckie?

Didn't even know. We only get results down here in deepest darkest west coast Scotland.

Rothes don't have a website and the Highland league ones don't have much Rothes info :( Besides, it's my other half, Guinness Al, whose the Rothesian :)

PS - We have had a few drinks with the vice-chairman though :guinness (although he may well be the chairman by now)

Guest NewcastleBlue

Clach, after they gave us a good run for our money at SP a few years ago. I think we won 1-0 after a dodgy Alan Blaikie goal in the second half. :blink:

What sorta crowds are the Highland League teams getting?

What sorta crowds are the Highland League teams getting?

Biggest crowd I seen was 770 Inverurie Loco's v Keith, But normally they range from 250ish to 500ish depending on where the games being played and if its mid week or not (Midweek to Wick is always a poor turnout)

Inverurie play Cove in the cup final on Saturday and it is predicted to get a 1000 plus crowd :D

Edited to include -

Supporters always laugh at the fact that they draw bigger crowds than most of Div 3 and some of Div 2 :lol::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Biggest crowd I seen was 770 Inverurie Loco's v Keith, But normally they range from 250ish to 500ish depending on where the games being played and if its mid week or not (Midweek to Wick is always a poor turnout)

Inverurie play Cove in the cup final on Saturday and it is predicted to get a 1000 plus crowd  :D

Edited to include -

Supporters always laugh at the fact that they draw bigger crowds than most of Div 3 and some of Div 2  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Tarvie

I've never seen a competitive Locos home match as low as 250

Average around 400 - 500 mark

This is probably the best average for Highland clubs.

Wick don't play midweek matches as there is a rule saying that total distance travelled midweek can only be 110 miles (or something similar)

Biggest was a friendly against Celtic youth team two pre-seasons ago where there were 2000

Had over 1000 v Rangers youth team and about 1500 v Airdrie in cup last season

Cup final couple of weeks ago was the best though.

800 Locos fans travelling out of a total 1000 crowd

Did you go to the Cup Final Tarvie?

What a match

Only just got my voice back

Tarvie

I've never seen a competitive Locos home match as low as 250

Average around 400 - 500 mark

This is probably the best average for Highland clubs.

Wick don't play midweek matches as there is a rule saying that total distance travelled midweek can only be 110 miles (or something similar)

Biggest was a friendly against Celtic youth team two pre-seasons ago where there were 2000

Had over 1000 v Rangers youth team and about 1500 v Airdrie in cup last season

Cup final couple of weeks ago was the best though.

800 Locos fans travelling out of a total 1000 crowd

Did you go to the Cup Final Tarvie?

What a match

Only just got my voice back

Out of the games I have seen (not just loco's) highland league can be as low as 200-250. Teams like the Locs can easily pull a 400-500 plus crowd, and I have never been to a locs game that has had anything less than 500.

As for the midweek wick game, I was only quoting my mate who is from wick and he remembers growing up seeing crowds of about 50-100 midweek in wick (I cant talk from experience here)

I didnt make the final as I went to the Saints v Hamilton game instead, but it wasnt an easy choice. Going to miss the Keith game as well as I am flying out on holiday on Saturday morning :egypt

Hope the Locs win and then I can look forward to the 2nd round of the cup :D

From when Peterhead were in crowds of around 200-250 were pretty normal for games against poorer teams. When you played teams like Huntly you would normally get around 500 and against the Broch, you would get close to 1000 all the time, especially big games.

Archived